PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which members of the Pats media do you respect the most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrylStingley

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
For me, it's Tom Curran and Mike Reiss. I also like Gerry Callahan's take on the Pats, believe it or not.

I have no use for Manza Young, Guerigan, Borges, Volin or anyone else at the Globe.

Chris Price at WEEI seems good but I rarely check that out.

Paul Perrillo and Andy Hart at the Pats own network seem OK but are probably unable to say much beyond the party line.

Greg Bedard was good but he's gone.

Who am I missing? Who should I be reading? Am I too quick to dismiss Volin?

For me, it's Tom Curran and Mike Reiss. I also like Gerry Callahan's take on the Pats, believe it or not.

I have no use for Manza Young, Guerigan, Borges, Volin or anyone else at the Globe.

Chris Price at WEEI seems good but I rarely check that out.

Paul Perrillo and Andy Hart at the Pats own network seem OK but are probably unable to say much beyond the party line.

Greg Bedard was good but he's gone.

Who am I missing? Who should I be reading? Am I too quick to dismiss Volin?

I would say field yates. He has experience as an NFL scout, which people like reiss and curran do not have.

Curran is the only one i watch with any regularity.

If I had to listen to just one media guy, that guy would be Matt Chatham. He's already better than any national guy I've heard or seen. If knowledge and talent have any meaning left in the media business, he will be snapped up by one of them, and will then probably start his regression into mediocrity. BUT until then, he's the best hands down.

Of the rest, Reiss would be the top reporter. Curran is OK, followed by Troy Brown. I used to like Steve Nelson a lot but he's seemed to have disappeared. What happened to him?

If I had to listen to just one media guy, that guy would be Matt Chatham. He's already better than any national guy I've heard or seen. If knowledge and talent have any meaning left in the media business, he will be snapped up by one of them, and will then probably start his regression into mediocrity. BUT until then, he's the best hands down.

Of the rest, Reiss would be the top reporter. Curran is OK, followed by Troy Brown.
Yes, Chatham is GREAT. Forgot to mention him. I love his in depth, educated and thoughtful take.

I'm not that big of a fan of Troy. Maybe it's his delivery, but I just am not all that interested in what he has to say.

I like Curran, Reiss, Perillo. Field Yates I love to read because of his knowledge of the game and experience with the Patriots. I fear he won't be longed for ESPN Boston as he's expanded out to cover the entire NFL for fantasy purposes amongst other things, too.

I'll be honest - if I was at a bar with Mike Reiss and I had too few many drinks I think we'd end up in an awkward moment of experimentation.

patfanken for his weekly idle thoughts and Zeus. ;)

Curran and Perlilo.

Curran even gets a little more from me because CSNNE has stuck him with borges for the game recap for years now.

CSNNE really needs to dump borges from it and replace him with Mary Paoletti. Need me some more Mary Paoletti.

Reiss, Curran, Giardi and Perillo.

This might be harsh but I dont really respect any of them. Sports jornalism has just become a mockery IMO. Not that main stream media hasnt too but at least somewhat main stream media is kept in check as far as blatant lies and outright slander. But that does not exist in sports media because the it is not taken as seriously and because those being slandered have bigger things to worry about.

I think some athletes, coaches, and owners need to start suing the reporters so they can start to be kept in check. Problem is libelous is hard to prove, reporters know how to say what they want without risking libelous, and could you imagine the negative PR am athlete, coach, or owner would get for suing a reporter? So instead it is basically an unchecked field especially given todays sensational culture and need for web page hits rather than accuracy.

While I dont respect any of them there are some that are liked more than others. But even those guys lose respect for not trying to hold their peers accountable. Like Reiss for example he does his job well and proper but he has no problem linking or discussing the garbage put out by other shoddy reporters without calling out the source.

I guess the only guys that can be respected are the X athletes just getting into the field who have the knowledge of the sport but not neccessarily of jornalism nor the platform to be calling out the garbage.

Matt Chatham and Field Yates for their intelligent discussions. Reiss for his commitment to journalistic integrity.

They all have good days and crackpot days, but my fave's in no particular order... Reiss, Curran, Chatham, Price and Perillo.

Chatham comes off extremely intelligent...

Reiss, Curran, Chatham and Price, no particular order although I really enjoy Curran. Volin's OK so far, but the jury is still out.

I think Chatham needs his own Xs and Os telestrator show, or maybe he should be doing the Belichick Breakdown instead of Zolak. And get him and Pioli (or another front office GM type) on a show together to talk about player personnel decisions strategy, and college scouting/draft.

I find all reporters to boarder on unethical. The truth for them is in the eye of the writer and editor. If it sells, who cares if it smells!

Christopher Price has in my opinion done a very good job for some time now; he's the first name that came to my mind, and I'm a bit surprised that he received so few mentions. A good combination of quantity and quality, reporting plus intelligent opinion, plus brings in other aspects such as weekly interviews with NFL scouts about the next opponent in to his articles.

If you are talking strictly opinion and analysis, then to me Matt Chatham is the best, with Field Yates a very close second.

Curran is very good, but based on his sources being way off on more than one occasion I'd place him in a second tier after the ones mentioned above. Mike Reiss is an excellent reporter but when he moves from reporting to analysis I find his opinion-oriented pieces to not be quite so good.

Note: I'm basing my assessment almost exclusively on their writing, as I don't watch or listen to any of them all that often.

Tony Mazz and Michael Felger .. :D:D

I kid I kid .. Mike Reiss

Field Yates is my #1. If you're looking for informed opinion, there's no better source.

If you're looking for someone to report the facts, I go with Mike Reiss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft