PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What scheme inferences could we draw from roster choices?

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
What will the 53 teach us about schemes? Not much, but there could be a few tidbits, e.g.:

1. A fullback would indicate ... use of a fullback.
2. Lots and lots of TEs would indicate ... lots of 2 TE sets.
3. Lots and lots of safeties might indicate a big nickel/safety-as-LB sub package.

That's about it. Keeping Tebow would NOT necessarily indicate plans to use a read option. And I can't think of anything that's really up in the air on the DL. Even going light at DT would most likely just indicate a desire to play the waiver wire.

Seeing the combination of DT/DEs will be interesting as well. If we go with 3 pure DTs again I think we'll lean heavily on 4 man fronts of various sizing.

I hope to god they keep players that can play football and then define a scheme.

Currently the O and D are very thin, 3 DT scares me to death.

Re: Re: What scheme inferences could we draw from roster choices?

What will the 53 teach us about schemes? Not much, but there could be a few tidbits, e.g.:

1. A fullback would indicate ... use of a fullback.
2. Lots and lots of TEs would indicate ... lots of 2 TE sets.
3. Lots and lots of safeties might indicate a big nickel/safety-as-LB sub package.

That's about it. Keeping Tebow would NOT necessarily indicate plans to use a read option. And I can't think of anything that's really up in the air on the DL. Even going light at DT would most likely just indicate a desire to play the waiver wire.

It is a good question, so good in fact I cannot even provide an answer to it.

I will say I anticipate us to have three 43 DE's types on the field 40%-50% of the time this season.

Personally, I don't think that we'll be able to tell much from who we keep on the DL. After all, we only have 2 qualified players. We might keep 1-2 developmental backups, or not.
Does it really tell something if we keep Forston and Vellano, other than we need backups for Wilfork and Kelly?

Personally, I don't think that we'll be able to tell much from who we keep on the DL. After all, we only have 2 qualified players. We might keep 1-2 developmental backups, or not.
Does it really tell something if we keep Forston and Vellano, other than we need backups for Wilfork and Kelly?

30 fronts require 3 DTs. Would we really use a 30 front if all we had were 3 DTs? Also, we currently don't have a backup for Wilfork. Forston and Vellano have very similar makes up, neither of which resembles Wilfork the slightest bit.

We will have the 4th DT. The question is whether we sign one from another team, perhaps after Game One.

30 fronts require 3 DTs. Would we really use a 30 front if all we had were 3 DTs?

I could imagine the DL at some point unfortunately being so thin as to reach the point "These are the only guys left who can play, so the scheme is whatever they'd perform best in." But I hope and trust we won't be there yet on Opening Day ...

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back