PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 3 Thursday Night Football: Washington at NY Giants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aaron Rodgers will be the only QB worth watching.
I hear you, man. I wonder how the next crop will develop. Does Jimmy G pull off what Rodgers did in GB? Can Mariota become something? Can Luck stop turning the ball over every chance he gets? Does Bridgewater take that next step? So while I agree Rodgers will be the last of the greats (even if only temporarily), there are enough story lines to keep me interested.

Bradys and Foreheads don't grow on trees. There's a reason why we celebrate those guys. The kind of rivalry they had, though mostly media driven, has been such a privilege to witness. I always said I wished I was around when Bird and Magic were going at it. What about Russel and Wilt? I don't really know about Jordan since he always just beat everyone. LOL You don't really get too much of the one-on-one rivalries in football because guys don't always actually play against each other like in basketball. So the fact that people have always tuned in to see Brady v Forehead is amazing to me. I will miss both of them . . . yeah, even Forehead Manning. Heck, Brady v Forehead is not even interesting any more because Forehead is done and I don't think people care as much about it. It's old news now.

Is anyone else watching this NFL Network special? I happened to still be on the channel after the game, and this special about guys at the combine trying to make the NFL is actually kind of interesting.

Last edited:
I hear you but every guy you cited left for big money. What does that tell you? Hindsight is 20/20. Those guys ALL had opportunities to stay and didn't. Whether or not they regret later is another matter altogether, IMHO. I do get what you're saying, but again, neither one of us is in that position and it's easy to say that winning is the most important thing. Imagine being the one getting courted by teams promising you millions more than you're making? As Ludacris (yeah, the rapper) once said in an interview, and it's not a direct quote, it's different when you're in the position. It's easy to say what you would do when it's hypothetical. That's why I ended my post the way that I did in saying I don't do what they do. Who am I to say these guys are wrong for trying to get as much as they can.

Sports stops being solely about sports and winning when you become a professional at it. These guys are playing to keep jobs as well. Maybe I'd agree more if we weren't talking about one of the most brutal and dangerous sports that exists. Most football players only get one or maybe two big paydays, unless you're someone like Revis (for example) who happens to be the top one or two at his position. So I can't blame a guy for wanting more.

I just can't agree 100 percent with it being all about winning. That's all idealistic stuff and does not always apply to real life. If you have ever had a job you love, I doubt you'd take too much of a pay cut to stay if another company, however better or worse they might be, was offering you so much more money. Like I stated, it's not just about the player. It's also about that player's family too. And yes, they do make a LOT of money, but you can't use that as the basis for your argument. What someone earns is relative.

In the end, I'm not suggesting that winning is not important. It absolutely is important. But think about how BB discards guys the way he does. We laud him because he keeps winning games and a lot of the moves proved good. But that's also why I don't blame guys for not always choosing to stay in NE. Hell, even fans start talking about cutting guys or letting them walk when the production is not what we think is good enough. Football is a business as much as it is a sport.

Good post but I feel like there's about a million people you could have quoted for that quote. Why Ludacris?

Good post but I feel like there's about a million people you could have quoted for that quote. Why Ludacris?
I guess it's because he resonated with me when I saw the interview years ago and he is always the one I cite. In fact, I think he was the first celebrity that I personally heard say that in an interview, or at least an interview where he wasn't coming clean about some kind of addiction or mistake he made to lose it all. It was just a regular interview and, IIRC, he wasn't even asked specifically about it. He was just talking and it came out. I thought it was a very candid moment in a society where celebrities are seldom candid. It was like he wasn't a famous rapper. It was like he was just talking to one of his friends or something. It just came off really honest in that moment and I never forgot it. This is an interview I watched over a decade ago and it stuck with me.

Does anyone remember the fan-generated "controversy" after the Pittsburgh game in week 1? There was a situation where the play clock was inside 10 seconds, the Patriots were nowhere near ready to run a play and the officials reset the play clock to 25 seconds. Some fools thought that this was an underhanded move by the Patriots or preferential treatment by the refs.

On Washington's last drive, the Redskins offense was lined up, the play clock was running down, but the Washington players were yelling something to the officials instead of trying to run a play. The ref stops play and announces there is no delay of game because they (the officials) were re-setting the ball and puts the play clock back to 25 seconds.

According to the Patriot Hating dummies, that's cheating. In reality, it's something that happens every week, they just don't pay attention.

That's a Jeff Fisher special. $7 million per year for a just better than .500 coach.
It's amazing how he is so well-respected for a guy who in reality has done little of actual significance. Yeah, I know he made it to the one SB, but what has Fisher really done before or after that except, like you said, be a "better than .500 coach?" Don't get me wrong, he has been above average and better than maybe half of the coaches in the game today and even over his career, but someone has to see that he is not the guy who is going to get you to "the dance." While we're at it, can someone tell me how Marvin Lewis is one of the longest tenured coaches in the league today? LOL

Does anyone remember the fan-generated "controversy" after the Pittsburgh game in week 1? There was a situation where the play clock was inside 10 seconds, the Patriots were nowhere near ready to run a play and the officials reset the play clock to 25 seconds. Some fools thought that this was an underhanded move by the Patriots or preferential treatment by the refs.

On Washington's last drive, the Redskins offense was lined up, the play clock was running down, but the Washington players were yelling something to the officials instead of trying to run a play. The ref stops play and announces there is no delay of game because they (the officials) were re-setting the ball and puts the play clock back to 25 seconds.

According to the Patriot Hating dummies, that's cheating. In reality, it's something that happens every week, they just don't pay attention.
Koma, I don't even know why you pay attention. The example you put in the post is exactly why you should tune it out. There is no reasoning with them. They are forever on the "Patriots cheat all the time" bandwagon. That's ultimately easier than admitting their teams suck and can't beat the Pats consistently. I laugh it off now. It really does not make me mad anymore. I'm good, as Bruschi stated, I'm secure with their accomplishments.

Way too much self congratulations coming from the gallery. GB, AZ, and Cinci all have started out looking just as strong and perhaps more balanced than the Pats so far. It's the 3rd freakin' game for God's sake. Christ after the 3rd game last season we were 2-1 against a weak schedule and the doomsday sayers were having a field just before Doomsday HAPPENED In week 4.

I'd feel a lot better if more people would refrain from writing checks we might not be in a position to cash right now. We have a lot of questions left to be answered on the OL, secondary and DL, just for starters. And what the opponents are likely to end up being is also unknown.

I know everyone has already written off Jacksonville. But I find it hard not to worry about a team who has been picking in the top 10 of EVERY round for the entire decade and beyond. They have a decent HC, some continuity, and patient owner. These are the teams that start to turn it around about this time, and thus are dangerous. They are dangerous enough to surprise a "talented" Dolphin team at home.

Games are won on the field not by fans adding up match ups. We should know that the Talent on the field will be equal. Where we DO have a big advantage is in systems, experience and coaching/ Its a game we SHOULD win, but as I'm sure Bill said a 1000 times already this week, if the players don't put in the effort and concentration into executing the game plan....they will lose. EVERY team has the ability to do that on a given day.,
You are one that I, and I know a lot of other board members, like and respect. Also, you are right that games are won and lost on the field and all of that. So I hope not to take too much away from what you posted. But c'mon. Cinci starts hot almost every year and then fades. They manage to sneak into the playoffs, but they have never won a playoff game under Lewis. This can change, as it's any given Sunday, but there is no evidence of that until it actually happens. AZ, even I admitted, has looked good. But they're one Carson Palmer injury from being damn near irrelevant. They do have a really good D that can carry them a ways, but your team is nothing in this league without semi-decent QB play. If Carson stays good to go, they will be a playoff team. GB is the only team right now, and I stress the right now part, that looks like they're on the level. It's NE, GB and then the rest of the pack. It's possible that neither of those teams is in the SB, but the smart money right now would be to bet on both. They just look that good.

But alas, it is only week 3. It's a long season (though it never feels that way) and a lot can happen, good or bad. I am glad that it seems NE has come out firing, especially considering how they looked in the PS, though I never bought into it. The key, IMHO, is that offensive line. If they can do what they're supposed to do, I don't know if I would ever pick against NE. I'm certainly not calling 19-0 and I don't even care about that at all, but they will be tough to beat this year. In fact, GB scares me because we couldn't beat them last year when we had the all-world secondary (though we were so damn close). I do understand your point, but some people (not necessarily you) make it seem like we can't talk about anything until week 8. We have only had a small sample size right now and it's all we have to talk about. And you know what, they really have looked like an unstoppable machine and that should have fans excited . . . tempered enthusiasm of course.

I hate the f*cking Giants. They're doing the same 4th year **** again... look like crap coming into the season, have some injuries that make them look even less threatening, play like crap for the first few weeks (everyone talks about how the gave away the Dallas game, but the Cowboys could have been leading that game 38-10 if they played halfway decent for the first three quarters)....

And then stumble into a playoff because the rest of the division falls apart and somehow become a juggernaut in January. :rolleyes:

If the Patriots blow a chance to put this team away in November, I may just have to go into hiding for a few months. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back