PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Aren't Who You Thought We Were

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think fair weather fans would lose interest if the TB team started losing. But watching one of the greatest athletes of all time (that could be mentioned with Jordan, Russell, Ruth, Ali, Gretzky, etc) finish his career I dont think is a fair weather fan if said fan went back to being a more casual Pats fan after.
That's a good point, but there are several people in here saying "when BB and Tom are gone, I'm done!" not: "... I'll be a more casual fan."

That's a good point, but there are several people in here saying "when BB and Tom are gone, I'm done!" not: "... I'll be a more casual fan."
Consider what the league did to the Pats. Consider the game these days and the attitude towards TB and the team and NE in general. Throw in the flag football, the huge officiating inconsistencies, the thug behavior of the players etc.

So? People are "done" and they are putting up with it because of the two or three legendary players/coach here. When BB/TB are gone all that stuff up above mixed in isnt appealing. It could get worse too.

Also, I really feel that after TB/BB are gone, that many fans will still be paying close attention to see if the Pats can still be competitive without those two.

I don't think I'll ever give up watching the Pats or my season tickets. However, I already have no interest in watching any other NFL game. The game has just gotten so bad these last few years.

It’s been a long road towards greatness. I’ve been a fan for 42 years now, I’m 55, was brainwashed to be a Jet’s fan early in life (born and raised in Queens NY) by my old man. Started liking the Pats because of Mack Herron in 73 or 74 I think, then became a full time fan.

I’ll tell you what true fandom is. During the 1-15 and 2-14, I was thrilled to watch a Pat’s game in NYC twice a year. I was thrilled, because getting to see the Pats during the awful/mediocre times was such a treat for a Pat’s starved fan.

It’s amazing that for the first 26 years of my fandom, we were basically the Detroit Lions (though they’ve never gotten to the SB). We were an irrelevant team. A few good teams, a few great teams (1976 & 1985), but basically irrelevant. Amazing thing these last 16 years have been, mind boggling and unthinkable back prior to 2001.
I was a Lion Fan by proximity those same 26 years. Mediocrity was viewed as progression. Fans still quoted the Bobby Layne years at Briggs/Tiger Stadium. Was not a good way to watch football. The fact that these years of BB and TB have provided such a wonderful opportunity to not only cheer but to savour real success. Watched the Lions play the Vikings on American Thanksgiving and they have NOT changed at all. Mediocrity still reigns and is believed still to be progress. Like the enslaved and downtrodden, "Next year in .... Wherever not Jersusalem but the Superbowl venue. But, it wont happen for them. It ALWAYS remains within our realm of possibilities and that is indeed a fun way to be a fan of football. The Patriot Way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes