PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We are on to Kansas City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Jones being hobbled won't hurt the Pats chances.

I just re-watched the highlight from last year, it's so dumb that we didn't beat them. The plays were there, the points were there.

Re-watch the “defensive collapse” in the 2nd half of the 2019 AFCCG:

• Jones gets a breather & Crossen lets up a long play to Hill.
  • Kelce gets away with a slight pushoff vs JC Jackson on a TD
  • Kelce gets questionable DPI call. Ball placed at the 1
  • Offense turns the ball over in Chiefs territory
  • Refs start calling everything on Jackson in the 4th
  • Blatant OPI on a Chiefs long gain prompting BB to throw tablet
They can cover these guys. Pretty much the only team in the NFL that can in man coverage.

For anyone who thinks the only reason the Pats won the 2018 AFCCG was because Mahomes didn't touch the ball in OT, remember that Mahomes had the ball at the NE 20 yard with 16 seconds left in the 4th quarter and the clock stopped. The chiefs had 2 shots to get the game winning TD and didn't get it done. Mahomes missed badly one on attempt to get the ball in the end zone, and the chiefs kicked the game tying field goal with 11 seconds left on 2nd down. Reid probably could have called another pass play there and still have enough time to kick a FG. It's their own fault.

Last edited:
Re-watch the “defensive collapse” in the 2nd half of the 2019 AFCCG:

• Jones gets a breather & Crossen lets up a long play to Hill.
  • Kelce gets away with a slight pushoff vs JC Jackson on a TD
  • Kelce gets questionable DPI call. Ball placed at the 1
  • Offense turns the ball over in Chiefs territory
  • Refs start calling everything on Jackson in the 4th
  • Blatant OPI on a Chiefs long gain prompting BB to throw tablet
They can cover these guys. Pretty much the only team in the NFL that can in man coverage.

I agree. I dont think many teams have played them better since Mahomes took over than our defense.

The last time KC really had consistent success was the 2017 opener.

Need Philips or JoeJuan to do a good job on TE Kelce to have any chance. And no huge deep plays for their WRs.
Can they take him away with the waller plan or are there too many other weapons?

He could do a lot better. And he has I guess.

I don't know much more about Brittany than you do probably. She is obviously pretty invested in Patrick and his football career and rabid fans are generally annoying. I'm sure there were times when Tom wished Gisele would take it down a notch. But I do respect that in spite of Patrick's success, he is now engaged to his high school romance. And that he hasn't just "done better" as he became successful. That's kind of rare these days.

I agree. I dont think many teams have played them better since Mahomes took over than our defense.

The last time KC really had consistent success was the 2017 opener.
I would agree with that. Over Mahomes' short career you have played him as well as anyone. I think that's to be expected because over that time you've had as good of defense as anyone and Belichick is obviously a defensive mastermind. I think the AFCCG in 2018 was a real growth opportunity for Patrick. It seems like his game is different now. More mature definitely. It will be interesting to see if he is now returning as a Jedi or some **** like that.

NYFL needed fresh blood in the Super Bowl...for reasons...
Oh, come on now. We all know the NFL wanted Pats vs. 49ers in the SB. That would have been an unbelievable draw. The hype and story lines leading up to that game would’ve been over the top! I agree, there were some pretty bad calls. We’ve benefited from some over the last 20 years as well. Can’t leave the game up to the refs they always say.

Chris Jones being hobbled won't hurt the Pats chances.

Having Butler, Wynn, Edelman, Michel, and Mason hobbled doesn’t help our chances either. How much of this is gamesmanship, and how much are these guys going to have limited snaps against the best team in the AFC? We’re gonna need to go into this game swinging and bulldozing. Even if we lose, we have to find a way to scare the snot out of this team so when we meet again, that swagger is gone. We need to beat them down!

Pre-game thoughts:

- The Chiefs D worries me...they have been playing much better than usual compared to the last few years. Spagluno has them play well relative to their skill level.

- Stay away from Chris Jones. He'll suit up...no doubt...so just run the other way even if I think Onwenu will be our LG again this week.

- I want to see us move the ball in any way possible...if we have to throw it...throw it...like Ivan Fears says...I don't care how we move the chains.

- On Defense...oh boy...we're kinda in trouble....this is where we will miss Chung and Hightower a lot. JoeJuan and the safeties need to do a great job on Kelce. The secondary needs to play deep and keep those receivers in front of them. I expect to see a lot of shallow sideline to sideline routes across the middle to put our linebacker(s) on wheels....we got killed by those routes in Seattle and Oakland tried some with some success. Really, it will all be about limiting the damage...just turning 2-3 drives into figgies...and maybe one takeaway....we need some luck.

Lay the 8 points?

For anyone who thinks the only reason the Pats won the 2018 AFCCG was because Mahomes didn't touch the ball in OT, remember that Mahomes had the ball at the NE 20 yard with 16 seconds left in the 4th quarter and the clock stopped. The chiefs had 2 shots to get the game winning TD and didn't get it done. Mahomes missed badly one on attempt to get the ball in the end zone, and the chiefs kicked the game tying field goal with 11 seconds left on 2nd down. Reid probably could have called another pass play there and still have enough time to kick a FG. It's their own fault.
Their failure to run another play was chickensh*t. Made all their whining irrelevant

Their failure to run another play was chickensh*t. Made all their whining irrelevant

I’d say it was getting shut out in the first half and scoring 3 points through 3 quarters that made it irrelevant.

Plus we all know the whining only exists because we won.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST