PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Washington Post: Parties NOT expected to settle by Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the offer? No games and some fine?

I believe so, but not sure........I'm just seeing Brady's side producing nothing but legal substance and the NFL really just using the word 'irrelevant' a bunch while patting each other on the back

I dont think he can. This is just a settlement conference. Next Wednesday is arguments.

I do believe the judge can decide that it is obvious another meeting is not going to change anything.........especially given Goodell's violation of the request to 'tone it down'

The judge does have sufficient authority to call those shots.........there is always the appeal process

I do think the NFL is simply going to force the judge to make a ruling.........they have zero impetus to do anything else at this point

I think the Judge is going to send this case to a neutral arbiter. someone like judge barbara jones (retired SDNY judge) would be great. at the end of the day i want no suspension AND a ruling that brady did nothing wrong.

Right. The NFL went medevil with the updated language.

The original deal is off the table.

I spelled this out in a lot more detail in another thread, but -- I think it's time for Brady's negotiating stance to more clearly represent his view that HE is the wronged party. By that I mean -- he has to go on offense, rather than the process being all about him minimizing his losses.

The NFL has no reason to change the punishment at this point. They've clearly dug in their heels and have spent way too much time, energy and money on this whole charade to "settle" on punishment now. They're better off having the judge overturn it and say "we did what we thought was right and are disappointed the judge overturned our ruling."

I hate the NFL.

I think Goodell is in a corner and the best way out is either the judge upholding the suspension (big win) or eliminating completely, at this point it would be a "small win" or better, an acceptable loss for the NFL, because they could say we did our best and keep the subliminal messages about integrity , keeping the Patriots image tarnished thanks to kraft. Reducing the suspension or eliminating by guilty conscience is not an option.

So those are the 2 ways they can respectively save face, or save some face. Unless judge Berman goes nuclear against Goodell and the NFL then I see no way the owners keep this moron in charge. There is a point where the owners will need to save face and I think this issue is almost there.

None of this options will help Goodell very much, he is toasted.

I spelled this out in a lot more detail in another thread, but -- I think it's time for Brady's negotiating stance to more clearly represent his view that HE is the wronged party. By that I mean -- he has to go on offense, rather than the process being all about him minimizing his losses.

I understand your point but I don't think they have the feedback from the judge yet to warrant a pivot from their current strategy which is to thoroughly discredit the NFL's so-called objectivity and due-process with player discipline and appeals, legal standing in the court system, and interpretation of the CBA's "law of shop" agreed-to parameters.

Seems to me Kessel is killing them..

Check out Matt Chatham's piece.

The NFL has no reason to change the punishment at this point. They've clearly dug in their heels and have spent way too much time, energy and money on this whole charade to "settle" on punishment now. They're better off having the judge overturn it and say "we did what we thought was right and are disappointed the judge overturned our ruling."

I hate the NFL.
Y'know after reading the NFL's revised language, if you remove that fact that nothing happened and even if something did, you would think that the crime was committed by Pete Rose, Marion Jones or Ben Johnson

I understand your point but I don't think they have the feedback from the judge yet to warrant a pivot from their current strategy which is to thoroughly discredit the NFL's so-called objectivity and due-process with player discipline and appeals, legal standing in the court system, and interpretation of the CBA's "law of shop" agreed-to parameters.

Seems to me Kessel is killing them..

Check out Matt Chatham's piece.

I basically agree with you.

I just think they need an answer ready to "OK, the league offered to settled for no more than a small fine and a vague statement about non-cooperation; doesn't that give you everything you want? Why not take it?"

Further, I believe in erring on the side of taking a strong position too soon rather than too late.

Y'know after reading the NFL's revised language, if you remove that fact that nothing happened and even if something did, you would think that the crime was committed by Pete Rose, Marion Jones or Ben Johnson
This whole thing is insane. I can't believe it's gotten this far with all of the misinformation, untruths and outright lies that have come from the NFL. And the majority of people (fans) side with the NFL because of their blind hate for all things NE.

It confounds me to think an innocent man should agree to some punishment. I didn't know this was Russia.

Yeah, the next thing you know the government will be spying on us and detaining us indefinitely without due process.:oops:

This whole thing is insane. I can't believe it's gotten this far with all of the misinformation, untruths and outright lies that have come from the NFL. And the majority of people (fans) side with the NFL because of their blind hate for all things NE.

just imagine if this goes up all the way to the supreme court

There's no "win' here. The best case scenario is we only lose two draft picks for doing nothing wrong.

Kind of makes you want to just jump out of bed and seize the day doesn't it? :( Thank you again NYFL for feeding my cynicism.

Cool thanks for the clarification, good to know good or bad this will be settled Sep 4th.

Not necessarily. This could just be the first of many court appeals.

Gary Myers‏@garymyersNYDN
Goodell and Kraft sat next to each other for 4 1/2 hours today in LA committee meeting in Chicago hotel. Yes, they spoke.

Kraft is tone deaf. Talk about misreading your fan base.

the meeting was probably not deflategate related. kraft has to speak to goodell as an owner on a number of things.

I do believe the judge can decide that it is obvious another meeting is not going to change anything.........especially given Goodell's violation of the request to 'tone it down'

The judge does have sufficient authority to call those shots.........there is always the appeal process
Well he could decide that a settlement is impossible, but then he would go on to the trial.

Gary Myers‏@garymyersNYDN
Goodell and Kraft sat next to each other for 4 1/2 hours today in LA committee meeting in Chicago hotel. Yes, they spoke.

Kraft is tone deaf. Talk about misreading your fan base.

We need more details, maybe Kraft was spray painting graffiti on the Omissioner when he wadn't looking, or something.

o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back