Status
Not open for further replies.

QuantumMechanic

Burn it all down!
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Here's how @wallachlegal thinks it's going to come down:

Some have theorized Berman’s heavy criticism of the NFL is less representative of his thoughts than it is his playing devil’s advocate — that he’s hammering the more uncooperative party of the two (the NFL, per the theory) to undermine its confidence and prompt a settlement.

Wallach dismisses this argument, saying Berman’s criticisms have been so blistering if the case were a 15-round fight, it would have been stopped in the second round.

“I have to believe the judge means what he says, and would look foolish to make those statements on the record, that were very emphatic statements, and do a 180,” Wallach said.

All that said, the fairness argument is not enough to justify Berman’s outright vacating the award; instead, it would simply mean remanding the case back to arbitration with a mandate that Pash be made available. In such a situation, Goodell could again appoint himself arbitrator and run another “kangaroo court,” per Berman. Thus Wallach believes Berman’s decision will come in tandem with a finding in Brady’s favor on the notice argument or the argument Goodell was an “evidently partial,” or biased, arbitrator. The former would be ground for vacatur, and the latter would see a second round of arbitration before an objective arbitrator.

“What I see here is a Brady victory centered around the exclusion of Pash and the investigative notes, plus either a bias finding or no notice,” Wallach said. “The “no notice” issue would create an outright victory for Brady without having to go through the facade of a new arbitration before the same commissioner.”

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...in-his-case/Z1P68VbXALZiLbcHHNTo2I/story.html

I think Wallach is right. I'm hoping for it to be vacated and cautiously optimistic, but think the next best (and perhaps most likely) is a new arbitration and a finding of partiality which would require a new arbitrator.

Yes, Judges often will give the party they favor a hard time to test the soundness of the winning side's arguments. But this seems to have gone far beyond that almost from day one. This seems like astonishment at the position of the NFL and the only rebuttal from the NFL is that the commish can do whatever he wants stated over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes