PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

VJCPatriot's 1st round NFL Mock Draft 4/16/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
This mock includes some projected trades for the 1st round.

1. Carolina - Cam Newton QB Auburn. Anytime a team has a dire need at QB and can get a potential Vick/McNabb caliber player they will roll the dice.

2. Arizona (From Denver) - Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri. Arizona pays the price to leapfrog the Bills and Bengals to get their franchise QB.

3. Buffalo - Von Miller DE/OLB Texas A&M. The Bills get an impact pass rusher in a division that has Tom Brady.

4. Cincinnati - AJ Green WR Georgia. The highest ranked WR prospect. The future is murky at QB and WR for the Bengals.

5. Denver (from Arizona) - Marcell Dareus DT Alabama. Phone rings off the hook but Denver stays put and gets the guy they wanted all along to anchor their defense.

6. Cleveland - Robert Quinn DE North Carolina. Browns return to the 4-3 defense and select a building block on the edge.

7. San Francisco - Patrick Peterson CB LSU. 49ers have many needs but they can't pass up the franchise CB here.

8. Tennessee - Nick Fairley DT Auburn. Titans have a need at QB as well but they can't pass up a guy who might fill the void left by Haynesworth.

9. Dallas - Tyrone Smith OT USC. The Cowboys have reportedly been linked to this prospect who they consider a franchise LT.

10. Washington - Jake Locker QB Washington. It's a bit early for Locker but with McNabb on the way out and the QB needy-Vikings picking just a couple slots after them, Shannahan pulls the trigger on the Skins QB of the future.

11. Houston - Prince Amukamura CB Nebraska. The Texans' need for a shutdown corner is increased by the fact they play in the same division as Peyton Manning. They are delighted that Prince slides all the way down to them.

12. Minnesota Vikings - Julio Jones WR Alabama. With Sidney Rice coming off serious injury and possibly entering free agency, the Vikings snatch up the best remaining WR prospect who blew up at the Combine.

13. Detroit - Brandon Harris CB Miami. The Lions bolster their secondary with the talented CB from the U.

14. St. Louis - Corey Liuget DT Illinois. The Rams bolster a DL in need of a serious talent upgrade up front.

15. San Diego (From Miami) - Aldon Smith DE/OLB Missouri. The Chargers move up ahead of the Jags for an athletic passrusher who fits their attacking defense. English has been a disappointment.

16. Jacksonville - Ryan Kerrigan DE. The Jaguars whiffed on Derrick Harvey so pick the best available passrusher left at a need position.

17. New England - JJ Watt DE Wisconsin. The Patriots select the freakishly athletic Watt who fits like glove at 3-4 RDE. BB already schemes diabolical ways to use his new defensive weapon.

18. Miami (from San Diego) - Mike Pouncy OG Florida. The Dolphins have a lot of needs but the interior OL in particular has not created enough push for them to run the football. Look for them to continue to address other needs on offense such as RB as the draft continues.

19. New Orleans (from New York Giants) - Mark Ingram RB Alabama. The Saints playoff hopes went up in smokes when their starting RBs all got injured. Bush will never be a feature back. Ingram gives them the bellcow they need to return to dominance on offense.

20. Tampa Bay - Da'quan Bowers DE Clemson. Tampa Bay stops Bowers slide here in spite of the risks concerning his knee. The talent is too much to pass up.

21. Kansas City - Phil Taylor DT Baylor. The Chiefs aren't ready to give up on Tyson Jackson here yet or surely Cameron Jordan would be the pick. They desperately need a 3-4 NT though so take the best one on their draft board.

22. Indianapolis - Derek Sherrod OT Miss St. Peyton Manning is sick of excuses. Ugoh was a bust. Protect the franchise or deal with the "Peyton Face."

23. Philadelphia - Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin. Philly drafts some protection for the banged up Michael Vick. The run on OL begins.

24. New York Giants (from New Orleans). Anthony Castonzo OT BC. The Giants solidfy their offensive line.

25. Seattle - Nate Solder OT Colorado. Seattle drafts the behemoth 6'8 Solder to reinforce a suspect OL.

26. Baltimore - Aaron Williams CB Texas. The Ravens need to bolster a 21st ranked secondary that was suspect to the passing attack.

27. Atlanta - Cameron Jordan DE California. The Falcons are pleasantly surprised when Jordan falls to them because he fills a major need.

28. Minnesota (from New England). Christian Ponder QB Florida State. Minnesota leapfrogs back into the first round at the cost of their 2nd round pick and their 2012 1st round pick. Ponder is said to be one of the most pro-ready QBs in this year's draft class. And he'll need to contribute sooner rather than later.

29. Chicago - Danny Watkins OG Baylor. The Bears need better protection up front for Cutler, and Watkins is one of the most pro ready OL available in this year's draft.

30. New York Jets - Adrian Clayborn DE/OLB Iowa. Being in the same division as Tom Brady, the Jets need to do whatever they can to disrupt his timing. Clayborn gives them such a weapon.

31. Pittsburgh - Muhammad Wilkerson DT Temple. Pittsburgh's defensive line is aging and they will gladly snatch up Wilkerson despite pressing needs at CB.

32. Green Bay - Cameron Heyward DE Ohio St. With Cullen Jenkins looming as a free agent, the Packers look to restock their DL pantry.

Notes: Due to 3 QBs being taken early, I see the Pats having their choice of defensive ends at pick 17. I see Bowers and Clayborn sliding. I see Miami passing on Ingram. I see the possibility of seeing some defensive ends slide all the way towards the bottom of the 1st round. In that case the Pats might be fielding offers for teams looking to move up for a quality DE at 28 as well, not just a QB. I also see a big run on OTs, starting in the early 20s.

Last edited:
Notes: Due to 3 QBs being taken early, I see the Pats having their choice of defensive ends at pick 17. I see Bowers and Clayborn sliding. I see Miami passing on Ingram. I see the possibility of seeing some defensive ends slide all the way towards the bottom of the 1st round. In that case the Pats might be fielding offers for teams looking to move up for a quality DE as well, not just a QB. I also see a big run on OTs, starting in the early 20s.

If that happens, expect the Pats to move down a few spots and still get a player they want. . . .

If we get our DE at 17 certainly Belichick will maximize value with the following picks. Most posters would be happy if the draft fell this way.

If that happens, expect the Pats to move down a few spots and still get a player they want. . . .

Minnesota would be on our Christmas card list for life if this happens. Like the Watt pick, like the trade out of 28 for those two picks. Lot of different picks here, which I appreciate, so I wont nitpick. But I just cant see Cameron Jordan sliding all the way to 27. That kid's just too good a football player for that to happen.

Great job. A lot of excellent projections. Many mocks have Peterson going to San Fran at 7. I personally don't think he'll stay on the board that long. The trade with Minny was excellent value, but given our dire need for OG, I would have taken Watkins at 28.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST