PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vikings D vs Colts D against the pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Question for you guys , maybe for pats1 and box who break down film ? any idea how the colts D matches up against the vikings D especially the pass D ...we all know the colts D is bad against the run but sometimes stats can deceive since they have been able to get key stops. and also the run D seems to play well in some quarters like against denver,or tenn..sure the overall numbers reflect badly ...but when the pats have to pass ,does the indy pass D offer a better challenge than the vikings pass D since they play the same tampa 2 ..any takes ?

My opinion on this is that the Colts are lacking depth. They lost one starting safety and another is nicked up and hasn't played. I feel the matchups on depth absolutely benefit the pats. One key area I would be concerned aobut is freeney on light, but light should get some help. I feel the pats will use delayed draws and screens to offset their pass rush and by the second quarter the colts will be totally confused. Watch the pats switch to 5 wide also and tire out the colts pass rush with the no huddle. I really think the colts pass d is about the same as the vikings pass def.

MrBigglesWorth said:
My opinion on this is that the Colts are lacking depth. They lost one starting safety and another is nicked up and hasn't played. ....

This sure begins to look like a mirror-image
of last year.
Colts have lost their safeties and their DTs.

Last season, we were without Seymour
and three-fourths of the secondary.

As the world turns.

psychoPat said:
This sure begins to look like a mirror-image
of last year.
Colts have lost their safeties and their DTs.

Last season, we were without Seymour
and three-fourths of the secondary.

As the world turns.

We weren't 7-0 last year.

The Colts Pass D is really banged up.....Mike Doss is gone for the year. Pro Bowl safety Bob Sanders is unlikely to play after having a setback. Brady should be able to easily go over the top on their safeties. Also CB's Nick Harper and Marlin Jackson have been banged up and likely will have trouble covering our receivers. Frankly I think the Pats can move the ball through the air and on the ground with ease against the Colts.

I went to the Vikes game. Even the Minneapolis Star said the Vikes LB's are poor in pass coverage and I believe they didn't have both starters at CB. The Vikes just didn't have enough good guys to cover. I suspect the Colts have better pass D stats somewhat due to teams running on them so well. They may not have Sanders again and Doss is IR'd. They don't have the best CB's in the NFL but they are OK. There are guys that can be taken advantage of there in matchups. I don't think the Patriots will come out running every play and if the Colts really load up at the LOS, the Patriots will pass. Maybe a lot on 1st down.

A simplistic but legitimate thing to look at is QB rating against. It's not perfect but it takes a variety of things into account and rolls them into one number.

New England is 7th best at 73.2
Minnesota is 11th best at 75.6
Indy is 25th at 90.7

PatsSteve1 said:
I went to the Vikes game. Even the Minneapolis Star said the Vikes LB's are poor in pass coverage and I believe they didn't have both starters at CB. The Vikes just didn't have enough good guys to cover. I suspect the Colts have better pass D stats somewhat due to teams running on them so well. They may not have Sanders again and Doss is IR'd. They don't have the best CB's in the NFL but they are OK. There are guys that can be taken advantage of there in matchups. I don't think the Patriots will come out running every play and if the Colts really load up at the LOS, the Patriots will pass. Maybe a lot on 1st down.
The Vikes had Fred Smoot and Antoine (sp?) Winfield starting at corner, you don't get too many better cornerbacks than that in this league.

SVN, I have no tape of Indy for any attempt at a side by side comparison. What stands out is Indy's pass rush and Dungy's love for coverage linebackers. Indy will be more of a challenge, Tommy will need his pocket if there is to be any exploitation of the safeties playing up, or the speed of Gabriel, Watson, and Jackson. I expect to see more of a short passing game, taking what Indy surrenders, but that also depends on the health of Caldwell and maybe Gaffney who are the possession guys alongside Troy.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first play is play action inside and a look for Gabriel and Caldwell deep. After that it will be a standard Patriots grind it out offense to slow the DE's rush and keep the secondary off balance and Peyton on the bench.

BelichickFan said:
A simplistic but legitimate thing to look at is QB rating against. It's not perfect but it takes a variety of things into account and rolls them into one number.

Indy is 25th at 90.7

Till you figure in toughness of schedule that is.

BelichickFan said:

Indy is 25th at 90.7

Thats a pretty high number when you consider the QBs Indy has faced and those QBs ratings:

Eli Manning-88.9
David Carr-94.3
Byron Leftwich-79.0
Chad Pennington-82.3
Vince Young-60.5
Mark Brunell -90.4
Jake Plummer-65.2

Avg QB rating: 80.1

So, David Carr is the only QB they have faced that has a higher QB rating than what Indy has allowed over the course of the season. Not to mention they have faced the 21st, 31st, and 33rd rated passers in the league. And, I believe they also faced Vince Young in his first start at Indy. Tommy should have a pretty good game.

FSUPatsFan said:
Thats a pretty high number when you consider the QBs Indy has faced and those QBs ratings:

Eli Manning-88.9
David Carr-94.3
Byron Leftwich-79.0
Chad Pennington-82.3
Vince Young-60.5
Mark Brunell -90.4
Jake Plummer-65.2

Avg QB rating: 80.1

So, David Carr is the only QB they have faced that has a higher QB rating than what Indy has allowed over the course of the season. Not to mention they have faced the 21st, 31st, and 33rd rated passers in the league. And, I believe they also faced Vince Young in his first start at Indy. Tommy should have a pretty good game.

Part of that high rating goes to a few TDs in garbage time. The Skins scored a touchdown with 18 seconds left in the game when they were down 22 for example. I'm not saying that's all of it, but it does factor in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News