PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Undrafted Patriots are thankful Belichick noticed them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Florio is not one of my faves, but this post is interesting not for the content and comments from Wendell, Kline and Connolly.. .but for the comments after the article... brings a smile..

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...patriots-are-thankful-belichick-noticed-them/

But Belichick cheated the process to obtain those great in drafted free agents! Just like Belichick cheats in the draft. He makes 31 other teams pass on players like Gronkowski, Matt Light, McCourty, Chamdler Jones, etc.

He has to be cheating.

Signed,
Jealous NFL fans that wish Belichick was their head coach

“Bill Belichick hasn’t always had a great track record for effectively using his high draft picks…”

ummm….that’s because he never has high draft picks!

has picked 31 or 32 more often than any other team over a 15 year period than ANY OTHER TEAM IN HISTORY

GO PATS

“Bill Belichick hasn’t always had a great track record for effectively using his high draft picks…”
ummm….that’s because he never has high draft picks!
has picked 31 or 32 more often than any other team over a 15 year period than ANY OTHER TEAM IN HISTORY
GO PATS
/

Hilarious too, since the Patriots actually have an incredible track record on high draft picks...every first rounder since 2001, with their draft slot in brackets:
2001 - Seymour (6) *+
2002 - Graham (21)
2003 - Warren (13)
2004 - Wilfork (21) *+, Watson (32)
2005 - Mankins (32) *+
2006 - Maroney (21)
2007 - Meriweather (24) *
2008 - Mayo (10) *+
2010 - McCourty (27) *
2011 - Solder (17)
2012 - Jones (21), Hightower (25)
2014 - Easley (29)

* - denotes Pro-bowler
+ - denotes All Pro

Just three top-15 picks, one is a fringe HoFer (Seymour) the other two are/were mainstay cogs (Mayo, Warren); two picks were/are elite, perennial Pro Bowlers (Mankins, Wilfork); a few others have been elite at times and consistent starters (McCourty, Solder), and the rest are/were starters for at least a year or two, and while a number of them were no more than average contributors for a few seasons there's not a single complete bust in the group, which I doubt a single other team can say over this 15-year stretch.

Given their draft position in most of these years I'd say Belichick actually has a STELLAR track record for effectively using his high draft picks.

What's sad about Florio's artcle was that it was so incomplete. He mentions only 3 guys who started as UDFA's. He might have mentioned the 19 guys on the 2011 superbowl roster who started their NFL careers as UNDFA's. He even could have mentioned, Blount, Bolden, Devlin, Tyms, Hooman, Wright, Ninko, Siliga, Jones, Vilanom, Cassillas, Flemming, Gordon, & Morris, PLUS the 3 he mentioned, Wendell, Kline, and Connolly. So unless I'm mistaken (and I might be) that's 17 players on the superbowl roster who started their careers as UDFA's

So you tell me. Round 7 is over and your name hasn't been called. Bill Bellichick is on the phone. Now as easy as it would be to go to some team that don't seem so stacked, it will be hard to say no if you REALLY have the confidence to make this league, because if you go to the Pats, it has proven to be the best chance any UDFA is going to get to reach the superbowl.

Last edited:
I agree but for 1 point...Maroney was a total bust. Awful pick.

Other guys who weren't drafted on our 53:

D. Aiken
R. Allen
D. Amendola
K. Arrington
B. Bolden
M. Butler
J. Develin
J. Devey
J. Gray
S. Siliga
B. Tyms
J. Vellano

edit: omitted B. Browner (oops)

Last edited:
What's sad about Florio's artcle was that it was so incomplete. He mentions only 3 guys who started as UDFA's. He might have mentioned the 19 guys on the 2011 superbowl roster who started their NFL careers as UNDFA's. He even could have mentioned, Blount, Bolden, Devlin, Tyms, Hooman, Wright, Ninko, Siliga, Jones, Vilanom, Cassillas, Flemming, Gordon, & Morris, PLUS the 3 he mentioned, Wendell, Kline, and Connolly. So unless I'm mistaken (and I might be) that's 17 players on the superbowl roster who started their careers as UDFA's

So you tell me. Round 7 is over and your name hasn't been called. Bill Bellichick is on the phone. Now as easy as it would be to go to some team that don't seem so stacked, it will be hard to say no if you REALLY have the confidence to make this league, because if you go to the Pats, it has proven to be the best chance any UDFA is going to get to reach the superbowl.

Not checking, but i think Ninko was a 5th. I think chris jones was a 6th.

I could google, but let's see if I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back