PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

UFA Glenn Dorsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a fallacy. The New England Patriots already have six defensive tackles under contract for the 2013 NFL Season:

Vince Wilfork
Kyle Love
Brandon Deaderick
Myron Pyror
Armond Armstead
Marcus Forston

The New England Patriots only have two cornerbacks under contract for the 2013 NFL Season:

Alfonzo Dennard
Glass-IR Dowling

The New England Patriots only have four safeties under contract for the 2013 NFL Season:

Devin McCourty
Tavon Wilson (dime back/special teams)
Nate Ebner (special teams)
Malcolm Williams (practice squad/special teams)
Tackle is absolutely a need ATippett56. Outside of Wilfork, the rest are JAGS or unproven.

That's a fallacy. The New England Patriots already have six defensive tackles under contract for the 2013 NFL Season:

Vince Wilfork
Kyle Love
Brandon Deaderick
Myron Pyror
Armond Armstead
Marcus Forston

The New England Patriots only have two cornerbacks under contract for the 2013 NFL Season:

Alfonzo Dennard
Glass-IR Dowling

The New England Patriots only have four safeties under contract for the 2013 NFL Season:

Devin McCourty

One of the biggest needs... That's what I wrote. I did not write it was the only need.

Vince Wilfork
Kyle Love
Brandon Deaderick
Myron Pyror
Armond Armstead
Marcus Forston

Alfonzo Dennard
Glass-IR Dowling

Devin McCourty

Wilson is not going to advance at all in year 2? That's ridiculous because he allowed 2 big plays as a rookie he is nothing more than a dime safety and special teams player..

Just really dumb..

Tackle is absolutely a need ATippett56. Outside of Wilfork, the rest are JAGS or unproven.
Remarkably with what you consider JAGS the New England Patriots rush defense improved significantly:

2012 New England Patriots Statistics & Players - Pro-Football-Reference.com

2012 New England Patriots defense

Rushing yards allowed per game - 9th
Rushing yards allowed per attempt - 6th

2011 New England Patriots Statistics & Players - Pro-Football-Reference.com

2011 New England Patriots defense

Rushing yards allowed per game - 17th
Rushing yards allowed per attempt - 24th

Wilson is not going to advance at all in year 2? That's ridiculous because he allowed 2 big plays as a rookie he is nothing more than a dime safety and special teams player..
Wilson's defensive role in the second half of the 2012 NFL Season was dime back.

Just really dumb..
What's dumb is your speculation that Tavon Wilson will be a starting defensive back for the 2013 New England Patriots when no one knows whatsoever what the case may be.

Remarkably with what you consider JAGS the New England Patriots rush defense improved significantly:

2012 New England Patriots Statistics & Players - Pro-Football-Reference.com

2012 New England Patriots defense

Rushing yards allowed per game - 9th
Rushing yards allowed per attempt - 6th

2011 New England Patriots Statistics & Players - Pro-Football-Reference.com

2011 New England Patriots defense

Rushing yards allowed per game - 17th
Rushing yards allowed per attempt - 24th
It's blatantly obvious that the Patriots D improved in 2012. What's also obvious is there is still a need to upgrade certain positions on the D. You may be happy to do that with JAGS. That's fine. Other people would like to fill those positions with players of quality and use the JAGS for rotations and depth.

Wilson's defensive role in the second half of the 2012 NFL Season was dime back.

What's dumb is your speculation that Tavon Wilson will be a starting defensive back for the 2013 New England Patriots when no one knows whatsoever what the case may be.

When did I say he was starting? You make stuff up in your own mind and then comment about it. You should really talk to someone about that they have medications that could help.

Honestly what is really the dumbest thing of all is talking about the secondary in a thread about a free agent DL when there is about 40 threads about in this forum right now.

It's blatantly obvious that the Patriots D improved in 2012. What's also obvious is there is still a need to upgrade certain positions on the D. You may be happy to do that with JAGS. That's fine. Other people would like to fill those positions with players of quality and use the JAGS for rotations and depth.
JAGS? You want to talk about JAGS? I list you a whole slew of JAGS:

Patrick Chung
Steve Gregory
Kyle Arrington
Derrick Martin
Marquice Cole
Malcolm Williams

Patrick Chung
Steve Gregory
Kyle Arrington
Derrick Martin
Marquice Cole
Malcolm Williams
What this comes down to is you agree that the Patriots D is filled with JAGS and there's a need to upgrade many positions. Glad that's settled.

Honestly what is really the dumbest thing of all is talking about the secondary in a thread about a free agent DL when there is about 40 threads about in this forum right now.
The statistical defensive facts do not support your claim.

Patrick Chung
Steve Gregory
Kyle Arrington
Derrick Martin
Marquice Cole
Malcolm Williams

Chung was a 2nd draft pick and before the season you wrote in a thread about him being a stud and going to have a break out year.. Now he is jag..?

Chung was a 2nd draft pick and before the season you wrote in a thread about him being a stud and going to have a break out year.. Now he is jag..?
I maintained, at that time, a positive mental attitude towards Patrick Chung. Unfortunately, for reasons unknown to all of us, Patrick Chung completely fell apart this year.

As for the current defensive tackles currently under contract for the 2013 NFL Season, I maintain a positive mental attitude that the current group of players will get the job done.

So we can't sign a DL because we need to improve the secondary?
Salary cap and draft resources need to be allocated at positions of current dire need:

Wide Receiver
Safety
Cornerback
Offensive Tackle

Back on Dorsey, I would really like to sign the guy and I put him in a mock a few weeks ago. I think he should be relatively cheap and could offer some upside. The thing we need to remember is he has benn playing completely out of position for the last few years in KC. Coming out of LSU he was a big time 3-tech DT that could be a disruptor inside. KC put him at the 5-tech and made him a run stuffer, which he was pretty solid at. I think most consider him a bust based off his LSU potential, but considering his role in KC he was pretty good. At worst I think he could be a solid, rotational run stuffing base DT. But if he still has a spark of that dominant 3-tech he was at LSU, he could be a good pass rusher inside on passing downs as well. I think some people forget how highly regarded he was entering the 2008 draft. He was seen by most as the best player in the draft and some thought he was the best defensive lineman in 10 years. Its just a shame KC ruined a potentially great career playing him out of position.

Back on Dorsey, I would really like to sign the guy and I put him in a mock a few weeks ago. I think he should be relatively cheap and could offer some upside. The thing we need to remember is he has benn playing completely out of position for the last few years in KC. Coming out of LSU he was a big time 3-tech DT that could be a disruptor inside. KC put him at the 5-tech and made him a run stuffer, which he was pretty solid at. I think most consider him a bust based off his LSU potential, but considering his role in KC he was pretty good. At worst I think he could be a solid, rotational run stuffing base DT. But if he still has a spark of that dominant 3-tech he was at LSU, he could be a good pass rusher inside on passing downs as well. I think some people forget how highly regarded he was entering the 2008 draft. He was seen by most as the best player in the draft and some thought he was the best defensive lineman in 10 years. Its just a shame KC ruined a potentially great career playing him out of position.

Agree 100%

I'll pass......I would rather take a shot on Terrence knighton or draft Jessie williams

Steve Gregory = CFL

He's still under contract no matter what, meaning that he should be able to provide a backup/depth role if needed. If we can improve on the position that much to release him and move on, that's great too.

While the safety status surely needs addressing as one of the top positions on the team this offseason, it's not quite as bad as you're making it out to be either.

1.McCourty---clearly our best safety, and if the rumors are true that Belichick and the staff preferred him there all last summer, he should be able to possibly take another step forward with more practice time and experience.

2. OUR BIGGEST NEED (arguably) SS---with plenty of good FA's available and a deep safety class, this could be corrected even if it's a draftee who isn't initially starting until 6 or so games in. A high draft pick would be great, but I'd love a FA signing who is experienced even more. That may actually be the best way to go, especially since Wilson was a high round 2 pick last year.

3. Gregory (or Wilson)---He looked downright lost at times in the beginning, but in the same vein it was just a week ago where many here lauded his TE coverage in the HOU playoff game. He certainly made progress as the year went on, and while none of us want to see him starting again, he's under contract and can provide valuable backup experience at an affordable cost.

4. Wilson (or Gregory)---our high 2nd round pick for the future last year. He looked out of place at times in a starting role early on, but he also showed a knack for the ball too, and many were excited for his potential for the future. He is in the developmental stages still, but was given valuable reps during his rookie season which should help. Again, he's part of next year's team no matter how you look at it.

So, in all actuality, we are really a nice FA signing or a draft pick (maybe both) from not having nearly as big of a weakness as you see.

THE BIGGEST FACTORS

Chung and Gregory will not be starting. McCourty will be at FS for the duration of the year. We will continue the progression of Wilson as a high pick who's been given reps at different roles, and both he and Gregory will be in backup support/role bits. We can continue to add depth if both a FA/draft pick are chosen, not to mention all of the other various ways to improve upon the position.

It's obviously not ideal, but a nice draft pick and/or a bigger FA signing (which would not necessarily break the bank) would be a HUGE step in a positive direction. I'm not saying that solves everything, but it's a damn good start.

I think that one of our bigger FA needs this year, if not the biggest, is signing one of those guys who can immediately step in and add to the progression of the secondary.

The thing with Gregory (& Gostkowski, too, but that's a subject for another thread) is that he is not worth
the salary cap hit he gives us. He either needs to restructure - i.e. take a pay cut - or be released.

There will be vet FA FSs available who can be signed for the league minimum-plus who will provide
the same or better production that Gregory did this past season. Now if he wants to stay here
playing as a backup for the vet minimum, terrific; if not, then he can take a hike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes