PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TRUTH & RUMORS: Chiefs may want CB Law

Status
Not open for further replies.
More importnat than Ty Law's possible signing in KC was that the Branch- Patriot talks have basically stalled. THAT is far from good news.

Pats726 said:
More importnat than Ty Law's possible signing in KC was that the Branch- Patriot talks have basically stalled. THAT is far from good news.

Is it me or did that quote give you the impression that not only have the Pats and Branch talked, but a contract was probably imminent?

Pats726 said:

I didn't interpret it that way.

Jason Chayut, agent for Pats WR Deion Branch, said there's no progress to report on an extension for the former Super Bowl MVP.
-- Boston Herald

To me, that is way different than talks stalling. Stalling indicates they were negotiating, and have hit a hang-up that needs to be worked through. Saying there's no progress to report just seems to be a response to a question.

Michigan Dave said:
I didn't interpret it that way.

Jason Chayut, agent for Pats WR Deion Branch, said there's no progress to report on an extension for the former Super Bowl MVP.
-- Boston Herald

To me, that is way different than talks stalling. Stalling indicates they were negotiating, and have hit a hang-up that needs to be worked through. Saying there's no progress to report just seems to be a response to a question.
If there's no progress then...is that not stalled?? Maybe semantics..but if there is no talking going on..why report it?? Why is it news??

Here's the exact quote from the Herald.

No news on Branch

Jason Chayut, agent for wide receiver Deion Branch, said there’s no progress to report on an extension for the former Super Bowl MVP. Branch is in the last year of his five-year rookie contract and is slated to make just over $1 million this season.

“It’s too early to put a timetable on anything,†Chayut said.​

I don't think "stalled" is the correct interpretation.

Pats726 said:
If there's no progress then...is that not stalled?? Maybe semantics..but if there is no talking going on..why report it?? Why is it news??

Well, in negotiation, "stalled" is a term I usually refer to when there is a deal imminent, and a snag unfolds that neither side is willing to budge on. When there is no progress, and we haven't heard that they had been talking (I apologize if I am incorrect- I don't get all of the news here in Michigan even with the internet), it means just that- nothing is happening. If I am an agent, and the reporter calls me to see where we are, and we haven't talked yet, that would be the response. Just my personal feeling, when I read "stalled", I panicked a bit before clicking the link.

Jacky Roberts said:
Is it me or did that quote give you the impression that not only have the Pats and Branch talked, but a contract was probably imminent?

It's you. :rolleyes: That there has been no progress is an indication that the sides are still somewhere between exchanging divergent proposals and actually negotiating to close the gap. And while the gap could be six figures it is more likely seven. That is why Walker getting a deal anywhere was going to impact the Pats.

Ty meanwhile needs to decide if he wants to play for a touchy feely but equally highstrung coach who was ready to throw him under the bus last November when he had more penalties than INTS and bailed before his option came due, or one who who is brutally honest in private but has never discussed his shortcomings publicly even when he deserved it.

Ultimately Ty will ignore all that and simply sign with whomever appears to be the highest bidder. Although being referred to as a potential marquee safety in public may alienate him where KC is concerned because he knows that is FO speak for you ain't getting top corner money to feed your family here. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
By that quote, talks are not STALLED. In fact, I'd say most agents with whom the Pats have a friendly relationship would say that kind of thing, just as part of the routine.

Michigan Dave said:
Well, in negotiation, "stalled" is a term I usually refer to when there is a deal imminent, and a snag unfolds that neither side is willing to budge on.

I agree. Stalled = bad. This just sounds like nothing is happening which I find a bit disappointing. Though the agent's quote is pretty neutral. He sounds like they're not concerned about time -- which says to me that both sides feel they can get it done. Of course, things can change. I also wouldn't be surprised if both sides were waiting for Walker's deal to play out so they would have some reference point.

As for Ty. I'm sick of him now. Be gone!

Last edited:
Michigan Dave said:
Well, in negotiation, "stalled" is a term I usually refer to when there is a deal imminent, and a snag unfolds that neither side is willing to budge on. When there is no progress, and we haven't heard that they had been talking (I apologize if I am incorrect- I don't get all of the news here in Michigan even with the internet), it means just that- nothing is happening. If I am an agent, and the reporter calls me to see where we are, and we haven't talked yet, that would be the response. Just my personal feeling, when I read "stalled", I panicked a bit before clicking the link.

We did "hear" a few weeks back that they had begun talking. We also heard from Deion during his media Q & A that while he was not overly concerned and very hopeful a deal could be reached, he did allow that there would be a time when not having a deal done could become a distraction. There was a rumor just before the draft when all the Walker machinations were coming to a head that Deion was not a happy camper and if the Pats were to trade for Walker without extending him he would consider a holdout of his own.

"no progress" could mean a few things, but usally it means that talks are still taking place. What we don't know is how far apart they are.

Also, I just can't see Law landing in KC. He has one kid in NY and another in RI and a place in Fla. He has played on the East Coast all of his carrer. I know that he's all about the money, but I don't see him as a Kansas City type of guy.

MoLewisrocks said:
We did "hear" a few weeks back that they had begun talking. We also heard from Deion during his media Q & A that while he was not overly concerned and very hopeful a deal could be reached, he did allow that there would be a time when not having a deal done could become a distraction. There was a rumor just before the draft when all the Walker machinations were coming to a head that Deion was not a happy camper and if the Pats were to trade for Walker without extending him he would consider a holdout of his own.

Cool. Thanks for the update. Regardless of the semantics, I think we all are hopeful a deal gets done.

"No progress to report" is very different from "stalled". I bet the Pats brass has been pretty busy with the draft and all, don't you think? It could also just mean that they have been talking but there is nothing to report - i.e. they have not reached an agreement. It's called not negotiating through the media.

edit: the story is from today's Herald:

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=138807&format=text

Last edited:
MoLewisrocks said:

Mo - where did you hear this? It confirms, exactly, the inside information I was able to glean from my source (sort of a mole).

Indeed, there would have been problems with Branch had they signed Jevon and left Branch on the outside wondering.

However, that did not come about, so I have to believe all will be well and taken care of in due time, sooner, rather than later.
I am trying to find out if he is working out at the facility this year.

I thought they couldn't do a deal untill a certian date with out redoing this years contract any info there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call