PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tracking BB's WR whiffs

I wish they had kept Meyers, too. He was a binky. And yeah, it was about pennies on the dollar, and probably because of his mouth in supporting Mac last year.
Not a good look for BB or New England.
I'm going to note -- because I recently read the March thread on Juju and Jakobi -- that the vast majority of posters here preferred JuJu, most made the case that Jakobi was a 3rd WR at best, that $12m was much too much to spend on him.

If Jlboot wants to get on here and blast Belichick or O'Brien (I mention O'Brien because many posters were thrilled that he was the one who evaluated JuJu as the better bet [all about the YAC]) then he gets to blast Belichick/BOB because he predicted this.

I was a Jakobi fan myself but had fewer strong feelings on this.

For me even now, this is irrelevant since our QB is horrible and we don't have a #1 WR.

Wow is this thread spinning its wheels.

Looking at the draft, most of the top #1s being mentioned go in the first 15 picks. That's what the draft shows. And even then half the guys in the top 15 are busts. The AJ, Deebo and Metcalf years were an anomaly.

If you're waiting for Tyreek or Antonio Brown in the 4th thru 6th, good luck.

If we want a #1 we need to draft a guy like Marvin Harrison and Malik Nabors.

This is also an unusual FA year unlike the last 4. There are good FAs supposedly coming out this year if they don't get traded.

Our best bet to nab one of them is to trade a 2nd and then negotiate with them now. Because the chances of it happening in FA are minimal given our horrendous QB.

Problem is do you think Bill will be willing to pay 15-20million for an elite receiver?

Didn't want to pay $12million to hopkins.

Problem lies in that Bill doesn't value the position. And unless a light clicks and he changes I'm not sure he ever will.

Problem is do you think Bill will be willing to pay 15-20million for an elite receiver?

Didn't want to pay $12million to hopkins.

Problem lies in that Bill doesn't value the position. And unless a light clicks and he changes I'm not sure he ever will.
This same thread is criticizing Belichick for all the money we spent in FA: Algholor, Henry, Jonnu, Gesicki, JuJu. Look at the money we spent on Jonnu alone!

So the answer is yes, but the people I'm talking about are not at $15m, for the price of that draft pick (2nd rounder) they are closer to $21 or $22m. That's what Tee Higgins should expect.

Christian Kirk in Jax is playing for $18m

This same thread is criticizing Belichick for all the money we spent in FA: Algholor, Henry, Jonnu, Gesicki, JuJu. Look at the money we spent on Jonnu alone!

So the answer is yes, but the people I'm talking about are not at $15m, for the price of that draft pick (2nd rounder) they are closer to $21 or $22m. That's what Tee Higgins should expect.

Christian Kirk in Jax is playing for $18m

I think people complain that he made poor decisions on who he paid. Not that he paid it. Henry has been worth his money. Everyone else mediocre or underperformed

Big difference between $11-12million and $21-22million though. I don't see him paying it. Unless a lightbulb clicks and he sees the value of the position now.

He wouldn't extend himself for Hopkins who basically was had for no more than Agholor.

I'm Bills "value based system" he would rather have 2 guys making $11million on massive incentives than one elite guy making $22million.

But a Bourne/parker does not equal one Hill

They don't grow on trees.

To say they don't want one seems absurd to me. They wanted Cooks, they wanted Moss, they tried to sign Boldin, they tried to sign Mason.

They drafted Harry, Thornton, if they didn't want a top guy, they wouldn't have done that.

They've even spent the same draft capital the Phins and Eagles did on trades. Cooks cost as much as those guys in Miami and Philly.

Here's the difference though: AJ Brown and Jalen Hurts are best friends. Hurts was sitting next to Brown when Brown was drafted. Tyreek wanted to go to Miami. These guys pick their teams because they have expiring contracts.

Let's look at Tee Higgins this year. They'll go after him; they can even offer top money. Does he want to come here given the Patriots QB siutation? Doubt it.
Totally agree, what elite WR or any other elite player would want to sign here with this mess. Elite players want top $ and a chance at a championship. Seems to me that Bill doesn't think he should have to pay market rates.

I'm going to note -- because I recently read the March thread on Juju and Jakobi -- that the vast majority of posters here preferred JuJu, most made the case that Jakobi was a 3rd WR at best, that $12m was much too much to spend on him.

If Jlboot wants to get on here and blast Belichick or O'Brien (I mention O'Brien because many posters were thrilled that he was the one who evaluated JuJu as the better bet [all about the YAC]) then he gets to blast Belichick/BOB because he predicted this.

I was a Jakobi fan myself but had fewer strong feelings on this.

For me even now, this is irrelevant since our QB is horrible and we don't have a #1 WR.
I'm with you. I wanted Meyers, but would have been happy to see them bring in Juju as well.
Your last sentence says it all - If prime Randy Moss were here, it'd be his Oakland year all over again.

I think people complain that he made poor decisions on who he paid. Not that he paid it. Henry has been worth his money. Everyone else mediocre or underperformed

Big difference between $11-12million and $21-22million though. I don't see him paying it. Unless a lightbulb clicks and he sees the value of the position now.

He wouldn't extend himself for Hopkins who basically was had for no more than Agholor.

I'm Bills "value based system" he would rather have 2 guys making $11million on massive incentives than one elite guy making $22million.

But a Bourne/parker does not equal one Hill
I've been saying this for awhile but go look at the free agency market. We signed the top guys available both of the years we dipped in. Agholor and JuJu / Jakobi were the top guys. Hunter Henry and Jonnu and Gesicki were the top guys. You wanted them to sign lesser guys?

Deandre Hopkins has been at half his career production for 4 straight years now. He's on the back end of his usefulness. Had a very nice game this weekend, but otherwise he has NOT been the #1 you imagine.

Why are you comparing these guys to Hill? You think Tyreek Hill was going to come here? Seriously? You think the Patriots could've traded for him?

Last edited:
LACK OF PICKING WRs.

It's not a mystery really. We don't use enough picks on WRs.

How can you develop a guy if you don't draft him in the first place?

Also true: Bill could've drafted the Charlie Weis-trained Golden Tate in 2010 but instead elected to use that pick on the predicted bust Germy Cunnyham... He also could've drafted Tyler Lockett in 2015 instead of the stupefyingly moronic pick of Glitch Richards... And in 2020 he threw away a pick (to the ****ing JETE!), which could've been used on Gabriel Davis, in order to draft Dalton Never Seen Keene.

#FireTheGroceryShopperNOW

Free Agency is not the place to get WRs.

Sure it is... If one knows what one is doing, that is.

You can also acquire them via trade.

Also true: Bill could've drafted the Charlie Weis-trained Golden Tate in 2010 but instead elected to use that pick on the predicted bust Germy Cunnyham... He also could've drafted Tyler Lockett in 2015 instead of the stupefyingly moronic pick of Glitch Richards... And in 2020 he threw away a pick (to the ****ing JETE!), which could've been used on Gabriel Davis, in order to draft Dalton Never Seen Keene.

#FireTheGroceryShopperNOW

Sure it is... If one knows what one is doing, that is.

You can also acquire them via trade.

I could have picked every Hall of Famer ever taken... in retrospect.

Are we really looking back 15 years at Golden Tate of all people? Golden Tate?

Who would you have brought in in FA the last 2 or 3 years?

Who did you want to trade for?

Lots of people lamenting on how going after JuJu instead of keeping Meyers was such a blunder, but isn't it possible Meyers didn't exactly want to come back? Seems like a pretty good career move at this point to get out of the mess of an offense NE had last year, join a coach and system he's very comfortable with, and go to a team where's he's a clear #2 as opposed to a #1.

Lots of people lamenting on how going after JuJu instead of keeping Meyers was such a blunder, but isn't it possible Meyers didn't exactly want to come back? Seems like a pretty good career move at this point to get out of the mess of an offense NE had last year, join a coach and system he's very comfortable with, and go to a team where's he's a clear #2 as opposed to a #1.

He wanted to come back. Pats didn't even make an offer

I could have picked every Hall of Famer ever taken... in retrospect.

Are we really looking back 15 years at Golden Tate of all people? Golden Tate?

Who would you have brought in in FA the last 2 or 3 years?

Who did you want to trade for?

I was pounding the table for Tate at the same time that ****ing awful Cunnyham pick happened.

So GTFO with that retrospect ********.

I was pounding the table for Tate at the same time that ****ing awful Cunnyham pick happened.

So GTFO with that retrospect ********.
It is totally in retorspect. My lord, you wrote about all the guys we could've taken.

Here again: who would you have traded for? who would you have taken in FA?

I know your schtick is being angry, but mellow out a little bit.

Totally agree, what elite WR or any other elite player would want to sign here with this mess. Elite players want top $ and a chance at a championship. Seems to me that Bill doesn't think he should have to pay market rates.
Brady was the cheat code. With Brady, almost everyone outperformed their contract or gave team friendly deals.

Since then, although BB continues to not want to pay market rates, it seems most of the guys he's bringing in are actually underperforming their contracts.

As Amendola said, Brady was the guy that made the Patriot Way worked. Without him, you can't continue to underpay guys, you can't keep missing on the drafts, you keep steady consistent guys like Meyers, you pay a guy like Hopkins who could have been had on a relatively affordable deal.

I feel for Mac. He never had a true WR1.

Hopkins is a true WR1, granted on his last leg, but I think it's true for this year and maybe next. And imagine keeping Meyers too. He is as dependable as they come in a WR2. Then you have Hunter who is an adequate tight end. I think thus combo would have been good enough to be a decent, but still mediocre offense.

The quote was: “If I'm going to be asked to cook the meal, I'd like to be able to pick the groceries."
Stat wise we have THE worst wr core in the NFL for separation.

“I'm responsible for our team's performance. I accept that.” Belichick, in a rare revelatory interview.

The Thornton pick was bad because he's pretty brittle.

There is no "other than that" because you're useless if you're not on the field, but other than being brittle, do we know he's a bad WR?
Because I watched him today, and he looked really good. I kept my eye on the guy. The Raiders were giving him plenty of cushion, he made some nifty moves to take advantage of the space, and on his finger tip reception, Mac underthrew him, but Thonrton was wide open.

Then I saw him about to blow by his CB on the boundary but Mac underthrew him and sent it out of bounds so he slowed down.

On the play where Robertson was called for a hold on Thornton, Thornton actually chucked him and was wide open down the field for a TD. Mac panicked and threw a floater instead that was incomplete.

If Thornton's bones were made of steel, would we even know by now if he was a good WR? I don't think we'd ever know that with Mac at QB

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back