PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top 7 Offensive Line as Ranked by PFF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huh. I would have have expected the patriots OL performance to be wayyyyy better than Teddy's rating of 22nd in the league (they seem to be doing really well to me). However, he has extensive experience playing against offensive lines and he is obviously a bright fellow.

A contrarian view from someone with some credibility! Maybe it will stimulate a little reasoned debate. This is what makes life interesting! :)

In my opinion the best source for statistically ranking and rating offensive lines is Football Outsiders.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff

After week four FO ranks the Patriots first in run blocking, followed by Arizona, Tennessee, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. The Bills rank 28th, followed by Broncos, Lions, Rams and then the Eagles are last.

In pass protection FO ranks Cincy first (which may have a lot to do with Dalton's early success), followed by the Jets, Raiders, Cardinals and Giants; the Patriots are at #12. The Browns, Niners, Chiefs, Titans and Seattle round out the bottom five. Interesting to see Seattle dead last; perhaps they regret trading Max Unger for Jimmy Graham.

Both FO and PFF do appear to agree about Sebastian Vollmer. FO ranks the Patriots first in runs in the direction of the right tackle. FO also list the Pats as first in runs up the middle - but only 25th to left tackle, 22nd to left end, and to right end.

Huh. I would have have expected the patriots OL performance to be wayyyyy better than Teddy's rating of 22nd in the league (they seem to be doing really well to me). However, he has extensive experience playing against offensive lines and he is obviously a bright fellow.

A contrarian view from someone with some credibility! Maybe it will stimulate a little reasoned debate. This is what makes life interesting! :)

Actually, I think Tedy makes up simple numerical measures and adheres to them slavishly.

And while he's deeply knowledgeable about football, I doubt he's anything special at math. :)

In my opinion the best source for statistically ranking and rating offensive lines is Football Outsiders.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff

After week four FO ranks the Patriots first in run blocking, followed by Arizona, Tennessee, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. The Bills rank 28th, followed by Broncos, Lions, Rams and then the Eagles are last.

In pass protection FO ranks Cincy first (which may have a lot to do with Dalton's early success), followed by the Jets, Raiders, Cardinals and Giants; the Patriots are at #12. The Browns, Niners, Chiefs, Titans and Seattle round out the bottom five. Interesting to see Seattle dead last; perhaps they regret trading Max Unger for Jimmy Graham.

Both FO and PFF do appear to agree about Sebastian Vollmer. FO ranks the Patriots first in runs in the direction of the right tackle. FO also list the Pats as first in runs up the middle - but only 25th to left tackle, 22nd to left end, and to right end.

See thats flawed too...

How can we honestly say we rank first in run blocking when we basically ignored the run game the first 2 weeks?

If we were 23rd last year, one might guess that the phrase "the game is won in the trenches" might need to be reworked.....

IMO this O line grades high because Brady gets rid of the ball in about 2 seconds.. which helps them.

Ehh I've been impressed with the play of the OL, but how much of it has to do with Brady getting rid of the ball so quickly?

And sometimes having up to four giant TEs on the field.

(IDK how often they block vs. run routes)

I actually agree with last years rank. We can't cherry pick and say first four weeks don't count or only the playoffs matter. I think that for the first 4 weeks we might have been the worst oline.

They have the Bills ranked 9th! Didn't we rack up about 9 sacks against them in week 2???!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft