PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top 10 Touchdowns in Patriot History

Status
Not open for further replies.
In no particular order. Feel free to add and discuss!!!

1. 1974 - TD pass to Bob Windsor to beat the Vikings
2. 1976 - Grogan to Stingley bomb to win in Pittsburgh
3. 1985 - Grogan bootleg to beat the Jets
4. 1985 - Mosi Taptupi ices AFC Championship!!
5. 1986 - Eason to Fryer Hail Mary at the Rams
6. 1986 - Grogan to Morgan in Mimai to win AFC East
7. 1996 - Otis Smith runback of fumble ices AFC Championship!!
8. 1998 - lumped together: Bledsoes TD passes in consecutive weeks at
end to beat Miami and Buffalo
9. 2001- Ty Law in SB 36
10. 2003 - Brady's bomb to Troy Brown in OT in Miami, just days after the Grady Little disaster, New Englanders hearts were revived!!!
You forget 1985 regular season vs Miami at home when Big House Tom Moore was lined up as fullback on 4th and 1 from the Miami 32. Turned out he was a decoy: hand-off to Mosi, pitch-back to Grogan, and an angel toss to a wide open tight end (Hasselback??) for the TD which rocked Foxboro. We were trailing 13-3 before that, but that sparked a comeback and really set the stride for the team for the rest of the season.

December 21, 1996: Bledsoe to Coates vs. NY Giants

"Bledsoe capped the sensational comeback for New England (11-5) by throwing a 13-yard touchdown pass to Ben Coates on a fourth-and-seven play with 1:23 to go for a 23-22 win Saturday. Coates dragged two Giants' defensive back the final yard for New England's third touchdown in the final 12:20, assuring the Patriots a week off and denying Reeves a going-away present."

http://www.canoe.ca/NFLWeekSeventeen/dec21_ne_nyg.html

My list:

10.) Tedy Bruschi's interception return in the snow game vs. Miami
9.) Jim Bowman's recovery of a kickoff fumble for a TD vs. the Raiders in the 1985 Playoffs
8.) Tom Brady's TD to close the score to 13-10 vs. Oakland in the Snow Bowl (the last TD ever in the old Foxboro Stadium)
7.) Antwan Harris in the 2001-2002 AFCCG returns the blocked kick for a TD vs. Pittsburgh
6.) Curtis Martin's long run for a TD vs. Pittsburgh in 1996 playoffs in the fog
5.) David Givens TD on the 1st drive to set the tone vs. Indy in the 2003-2005 AFCCG
4.) Mike Vrable catches a TD vs. the Eagles in the 2005 Super Bowl
3.) David Patten from Bledsoe at the back of the endzone in the 2001-2002 AFCCG
2.) David Patten from Brady at the back of the endzone in the 2002 Super Bowl
1.) Ty Law's INT return vs. St. Louis in the 2002 Super Bowl

Couple honorable mentions: The long like 80 yard run on a screen by Ben Coates in the regular season vs. Miami in 1996. Fluties scramble to beat Indy in 1988 that Dale Arnold said got the crown going "icky balooky". Rodney's INT vs. Pitt in 2005.

J D Sal

Last edited:
There was also a Grogan bootleg against Tampa that set an NFL record for TDs rushing by a QB..STILL held today...

I like them all. The only one I would add would be the 1994 overtime win over Minnesota. Bledsoe to Kevin Turner.
Down 20-3 at half time Bledsoe engineers a comeback and performance for the ages. He goes 45-70 and throws for 450 yards plus. His 45th completion was a TD pass to full back Kevin Turner in overtime. The touchdown gave the Patriots a 26-20 victory

Last edited:
This one has got to be one of the all-time greats just because of all the drama and fan reaction. I also remember the one that Patten (I think) caught in Chicago at the end of the game for the win (maybe 2002).

Yes. You are referring to 2002 fall when Soilder field was under modernization and the game was held at UofIllinois. (I was there). There was a critical challenge that allowed them one more chance.

I don't remember details, but I think it was a Bledsoe to Glenn bomb on the first play of the game against Pittsburgh.

Talk about putting the other team in a hole.

You forget 1985 regular season vs Miami at home when Big House Tom Moore was lined up as fullback on 4th and 1 from the Miami 32. Turned out he was a decoy: hand-off to Mosi, pitch-back to Grogan, and an angel toss to a wide open tight end (Hasselback??) for the TD which rocked Foxboro. We were trailing 13-3 before that, but that sparked a comeback and really set the stride for the team for the rest of the season.

I think Hasselbeck was long gone by 85.

I remember sketchy details of a similar play in the 85 playoffs against Oakland. (I don't think Big House was in the backfield). I believe it was a fourth and 1 flee-flicker to TE Lin Dawson for a TD. Can anyone refresh my memory on this one?

I remember sketchy details of a similar play in the 85 playoffs against Oakland. (I don't think Big House was in the backfield). I believe it was a fourth and 1 flee-flicker to TE Lin Dawson for a TD. Can anyone refresh my memory on this one?
I believe it was Greg Hawthorne that caught the TD.

Regards,
Chris

I don't remember details, but I think it was a Bledsoe to Glenn bomb on the first play of the game against Pittsburgh.

Talk about putting the other team in a hole.
Not a TD. Glenn was pulled down at the 5 and C.Martin took it in on the next play.

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
Not a TD. Glenn was pulled down at the 5 and C.Martin took it in on the next play.

Regards,
Chris

And on the 3rd offensive play, Martin ran for a 80T. That could be one possibly.,

OK, Lin Dawson then, but I think you are thinking of the same TD, but it was in teh regular season vs Miami. I'ver ecently watched the '85 play-off game vs the Los Angeles Raiders, no such play occured in that game.

I believe it was Greg Hawthorne that caught the TD.

Regards,
Chris
Confirmed, just pulled out the game, it was Greg Hawthorne, but it was vs Miami in the regular season game in Foxboro.

After last night, I'm compelled to offer two more that I haven't seen mentioned:

* Mike Vrabel's TD against the Eagles in SB39. A LB moonlighting as a TE shouldn't be able to do that. :rocker:
* Mike Vrabel's second TD against the JEST in 2005. You got to love a Herm Edwards D in blissfully unaware mode--not only did Vrabel score two TDs, but they were on essentially the exact same route. :rofl:

Regards,
Chris

Really? I certainly have only vague memories, but it's hard to imagine Glenn getting caught from behind.

If it was the first play of the game, it must be the same play, though.

Thanks.

What a great thread!
When I saw the title, I immediately thought of the Windsor catch, against the Vikings, when he blew out his leg. I figured, no one will list that one...and there it was, the first one on the first list...lol...I remember watching that game at a friends house with about five other guys and we were all hootin' and hollerin'...
I am a bit surprised that it took three pages before someone listed Bruschi's interception against the Dolphins. That has always been a favorite of mine. Also, the blocked field goal against tthe Steelers with the lateral from Harris to Brown.
Many of these TDs of course are great, so its hard to pick the top ten.
If we had a list of Top Ten TDs That Never Really Happened, my first would be the 95 yard fumble recovery against the Rams when McGinest got called for holding..I'm blanking on who returned it...was it Tebucky?...talk about going from low to high to low again in a span of ten seconds....

these are all great. For me, personally, the Bledsoe to Coates TD that put them up 14-10 against the Packers in SB 31 gave me goosebumps because I thought it was the start of a dynasty then. Bledsoe-Glenn-Martin were going to be Aikman-Irvin-Smith. We were on our way to a rout!!!!!

and then the dream ended.. oh well Dynasty waited 5 years :)

5. 1986 - Eason to Fryer Hail Mary at the Rams

I like the choice. Whenever this game or this TD comes up, I like to point out that the catch was made in virtually the same spot where Dave Henderson's legendary Game 5 ALCS HR landed to help beat the Angels. I was at that Game 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back