PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Curran..good read

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/projo_20060305_05beat.3348472.html

After reading this column I have to think some other owners are being whiny *****es.
Very interesting how Kraft took the Pats, who were #28 in revenue to #2. All while recieving no public funding. While teams like the Browns won't even bother to sell naming rights to the stadium. Now they want everybody to share.

This is how it's done...

Instead of sharing revenues, successful owners should share best business practices. Where I work, we have something called a Corporate Audit Staff that works with unsuccessful management teams to improve underperforming businesses. Why can't the NFL do that?

Where I work, businesses that do not respond to such affirmative action are sold or closed. Some football teams should be sold or closed.

len_mullen said:
Instead of sharing revenues, successful owners should share best business practices. Where I work, we have something called a Corporate Audit Staff that works with unsuccessful management teams to improve underperforming businesses. Why can't the NFL do that?

Where I work, businesses that do not respond to such affirmative action are sold or closed. Some football teams should be sold or closed.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

This right here somes up the way I feel.

"I don't believe that will fly. We have a lot of debt. We built a stadium on our own. I didn't take that risk to take a hunk off the top and give it to people who aren't working their markets hard.

"Every team has the ability to field a competitive team. Green Bay and Kansas City get the same revenue pool as the Patriots. Television represents 70 percent of all revenue. (Gate receipts) are shared.

"If people want to get their gates up, they need to work their market hard. In 1994, we were 28th out of 28 teams in total revenue. In four years we were in the first quartile. Anyone privileged to have an NFL team can have the same thing.

"There's billions in TV money distributed between them and some (franchises) sit back and don't work their market hard. I don't care about making them more profitable. I want them to field competitive teams."

You reap what you sow.

If you won't sell the naming rights to your stadium, that is fine and I also respect that. But don't ask the teams that do to share the profits they make from sharing there naming rights!

I believe in revenue sharing as it applies to the cap. I also believe teams should also share the revenue from TV deals. That is where it ends for me. If Kraft is running his local business smartly and with hard work, he should not be forced to share a dime of it. It is his money. People need to worry about spending there own money.

Last edited:
sarge said:
This right here somes up the way I feel.

You reap what you sow.

If you won't sell the naming rights to your stadium, that is fine and I also respect that. But don't ask the teams that do to share the profits they make from sharing there naming rights!

I believe in revenue sharing as it applies to the cap. I also believe teams should also share the revenue from TV deals. That is where it ends for me. If Kraft is running his local business smartly and with hard work, he should not be forced to share a dime of it. It is his money. People need to worry about spending there own money.
I agree with all that. I also think any revenue sharing based on total revenues must be net of debt service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News