Welcome to PatsFans.com

Tight Ends Alex Smith and Chris Baker

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by jmt57, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +550 / 0 / -3

I know we're still more than a month away from the start of the regular season but the reports I have seen on Smith and Baker in training camp have been encouraging. Here are a couple of recent columns on the two new Pats tight ends.

Meet the Patriots new No. 80: Smith by Adam Smartschan of the Metro Daily News

2. jmt57

Ratings:
    +550 / 0 / -3

Add Baker to the mix at tight end by Julian Benbow of the Boston Globe

3. jmt57

Ratings:
    +550 / 0 / -3

New TE Chris Baker, Tom Brady connect by Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald

4. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Smith is the best TE receiving threat, Baker the best blocker. Looks like Watson is being edged out.

5. jmt57

Ratings:
    +550 / 0 / -3

Baker, Brady trying to cook up some chemistry by Mark Farinella of the Attleboro Sun Chronicle

6. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,047 / 32 / -49

No Jersey Selected

I wouldn't say that quite yet. When healthy, Watson has been a pretty productive tight end for us and he has the edge in experience in this offense. I'm reserving judgment on Baker and Smith until I see what they do with Brady throwing them the ball during the regular season (you know, when they're going up against an actual defense).

7. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +184 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

I am thinking Watson is still the biggest threat....he has the best single season and had a 1,000 yards in a two year spann and he is the fastest in the group. Granted neither smith or baker have had Brady but lets not completely forget about Watson.

8. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

There's no question Watson is the fastest TE. It sure comes in handy when you hustle and catch a corner returning an interception.

When it comes to playing the TE position though, I don't see how Watson is a better receiving option than Smith, or a better blocking option than Baker, or even the best receiver/blocker combo on the team.

He sure is off the charts athletic, though, no question. And also very intelligent.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  9. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,047 / 32 / -49

No Jersey Selected

What have you seen in the one week of training camp that has made you believe that Smith and Baker are both better options than Watson in this offense?

10. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Let's actually figure this out.

Benjamin Watson Stats - New England Patriots - ESPN
    Chris Baker Stats - New England Patriots - ESPN
    Alex Smith Stats - New England Patriots - ESPN

Look at their last two years. Ben Watson doesn't have better receiving stats than the other guys, and the other guys didn't have Tom Brady to throw to them. Going back over 4 years...Ben Watson has managed to catch 136 passes in the last four years. Chris Baker has grabbed 111 passes in the last four years. And Alex Smith has produced 129 catches in the last four years. Again, the other two didn't have Brady throwing the ball.

Baker is widely considered the best blocker, and reports say it's a toss between whether Smith or Watson are considered the most versatile. Also, consider this:

"Watson was all but deleted from the passing attack, finishing fifth on the team in targets with another terrible catch rate (47%) and just 22 grabs. Watson will be in a contract year in 2009, but there's no reason to think he'll improve. The Pats consider him a blocker and he's proven an unreliable receiver."
    Ben Watson : USATODAY.com - Ben Watson Biography from USATODAY.com

"Reiss sees Chris Baker locked into a role when New England uses two tight ends, presumably for his blocking skills. Watson and Smith should battle for the other spot, which includes valuable snaps in one tight end sets. Bill Belichick is reportedly "quite excited" about Smith, so Watson could potentially slip to third-string or even off the roster."
    Ben Watson

11. patriot lifer

patriot lifer 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

Watson doesn't really have naturally soft hands. when he's thrown the ball, I always worry he's going to drop it. i think the other two guys edge him out in that regard. so he might be a faster receiving threat, but what good is it when catching the football is a challenge unto itself?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.