PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thinness on Defensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad they looked over a lot of players and like the backup types, but we aren't talking about backups.

Where's Cory Grissom. I liked him in the draft, was delighted when we picked him up as an UDFA, and he's a similar play to Vince. In style, if not ability.
Cory Grissom was placed on injured reserve.

I have three points to make:

1) The Tampa 2 under Dungy used a small NT angled on the OC and Warren Sapp in isolation on the LG. That seemed to work fine ...... in this case Vellano at small NT and Tommy Kelly in isolation on the LG (C. Jones will not be stoped by a TE, so, LT can't help). Studying that DL would be a possible additional scheme.

2) Young players at DT, early in the season, could become a silver lining for the future after all is said and done.

3) Chandler Jones at DT scares me :eek: . It reminds me of Pete Carrol's use of McGinest as an elephant ........... McGinest was continually injured through that period.

My guess, barring the miraculous signing of a Seymour eager to get onboard a 4-0 team for cheap, is that the Pats go with 3-4 young DTs to go alongside Kelly and instead of finding someone who can play 80% of snaps like Big Vince ask the JAGs to play like rabid badgers for 20 snaps a game and rotate them like crazy.

Now watch them just use Kelly, Vellano and Jones, and put Spikes in as a DT in a flex front.

Last edited:
Maybe we could trade with Baltimore for Courtney Upshaw, backup to Elvis Dumervil, and tell him to eat as much as he wants. At 272 he doesn't have too far to go.

Just let him eat as much as he wants to, and we could end up with an athletic, strong 315-pounder. Courtney Upshaw Stats, News, Videos, Highlights, Pictures, Bio - Baltimore Ravens - ESPN

We drafted Bob Golic as a LBer a long, long time ago from Notre Dame, and he ended up devolving to a NT. I think Upshaw is ideal to follow that path.

Probably take at least a second, though.

Hightower is already on his way to eating himself into a DLineman. He might as well do so,
because he can't cover worth a damn.

Hightower is already on his way to eating himself into a DLineman. He might as well do so,
because he can't cover worth a damn.

Captain,

Why do you think they drafted Jamie Collins?

As Collins becomes more comfortable with his assignments, I hope to see him in coverage
more often and Hightower less often. Collins looked slow & tentative vs Atlanta, however,
so this process will most likely be a year-long thing. Remember, he spent his last season
in college as a pass-rushing DE, so he's re-learning how to play in space.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Dane Fletcher try his hand vs Eifert & Gresham, if his knee
allows him to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference