PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Original Draftnik and Friend of Belichick, Parcells and Pioli: Joel Buchsbaum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady'sButtBoy

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
What an incredible story - the life of Joel Buchsbaum, the original draftnik that BB tried to hire when he was coach in Cleveland, and annually, quite literally, wrote the book on the NFL draft for Pro Football Weekly. He died years ago but I came across this story today. Thoughtful and well-written, you'll find it fascinating. BB, Parcells, and Pioli all admired the guy.

APSE | Associated Press Sports Editors

What an incredible story - the life of Joel Buchsbaum, the original draftnik that BB tried to hire when he was coach in Cleveland, and annually, quite literally, wrote the book on the NFL draft for Pro Football Weekly. He died years ago but I came across this story today. Thoughtful and well-written, you'll find it fascinating. BB, Parcells, and Pioli all admired the guy.

That was a great story BBB. Clearly the guy was something special. I'll always remember him for his article in the spring of 2001 where he stated the Patriots were the LEAST likely team to reach the superbowl in the next 5 years. ;). Its good to know that BB and Pioli didn't take it personal.

Last edited:

Thanks for for the link, great read.

I actually subscribed to Joel's newsletter when it first came out in 1978. It was mimeographed initially, for those of you who can recall that ancient technology. I recall being impressed and excited; there was no source of information about the draft available in published form that was a 100th as comprehensive. I well remember reading his description of Stanley Morgan coming into the draft: "quicker than instant coffee". Joel somehow validated my own at the time peculiar interest in the NFL draft.

I miss you too, Joel. Rest in peace.

Joel was the ultimate draft geek (emphasis on geek, lol). Really though, he truly was a draft guru, a draft god, and nobody ever came close. Pro Football Weekly truly was my go to draft guide when he was around. I got to speak to him briefly at the 1982 draft, and he really loved the draft and football more than anything. What an incredibly nice and gracious guy too, I miss his knowledge.

I used to buy Buchsbaum's draft guide every year. To this day, it's the only guide I've ever bought and very likely the only one that's ever been worth anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes