PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

the official "Who Will Drop?" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shakadave

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Make your prediction for the biggest dropper in Round One! Try to think of someone "likely" to go in the Top 15, who ends up falling and is still available at 21. (Echoes of Vince Wilfork!)

Note: Your prediction does NOT have to mean the Patriots would take him if he's available.

Johnathan Joseph

Michael Huff

I realize that he is currently listed as a top ten pick, even saw one mock that had the 9ers choosing between Davis and Huff. He does have assets: good size, very good speed both on the track and on the field, brains and a good attitude.

I don't think he has a position. He can cover TE's and slot receivers and that's where he played at Texas in all but three games. However, his recent jump up in the rankings was based on his forty time and that does not make him a cornerback. He's not a fundamentally sound tackler, he doesn't appear to have great ball skills and he is not a big hitter.

I don't think he will drop down as far as 21; I think he will make a decent strong safety. However, once teams realize he is not a CB, not a FS and may not be physical enough to be an outstanding SS, he should drop out of the top ten and maybe further depending on team needs.

Ngata..... hands down (no pun intended)

Chad Greenway - and we jump all over him............

Jay Cutler.

If Arizona passes on him, then it is a long way until you hit another team looking for QB help.

If Cleveland & Denver pass on DeAngelo Williams it is very likely he will fall to 21.

Yep, Deangelo Williams would have been my pick to fall - maybe even out of the first round though I doubt Pitt would pass on him if Maroney and White are gone by then.

However, I doubt Williams was really ever in the top 15, and since someone already picked Cutler, my choice to "drop" is Ernie Simms. Forget the hype, he's just too darn small. He goes no higher than the late 20's ...

Cutler, who'll be picked in the late teens, if he's lucky. Greenway will fall too.

Laurence Maroney, all the way out of the Top 30.

Deangelo Williams, all the way out of the Top 25.

(Manny Lawson, all the way out of the Top 6, but not out of the Top 13)

Chad Jackson- into the 20's

The QBs won't, they rarely do (I know, Aaron Rodgers says hello ;)).

The RB likely will, there aren't a lot of teams needing RB and this isn't a stud laden group by any means.

I still think the 3-4 DE/OLB will. We focus on the teams like Cleveland/Miami/Dallas/NYJ who will be interested but forget a lot of teams that will look at them as mediocre DE as opposed to the next stud OLB in a 3-4. Most teams still play a 4-3.

One key for us is that Ngata drops to #12 for Cleveland. I think there's a good chance he will and if they take him then that's another 3-4 LB who could drop to us. Not that I think it's a given that we would take a LB but I'm hoping for several to be there so we can take one if we want.

Oh - and Richard Marshall will go lower than Patriots fans think. I say he'll be there for our #2 pick.

BelichickFan said:
The QBs won't, they rarely do (I know, Aaron Rodgers says hello ;)).

The RB likely will, there aren't a lot of teams needing RB and this isn't a stud laden group by any means.

In general I agree QBs rarely fall, but using your argument for RBs falling, I don't think these QBs are considered "studs" by most GMs. We've seen teams that didn't have an immediate need at the position take a RB. Saints with McAllister & the Rams with Steven Jackson. The Bills took Willis McGahee who in his final game as a collegiate tore his acl. By taking a QB in the 1st round as a GM you're putting your job in his hands.

BelichickFan said:
I still think the 3-4 DE/OLB will. We focus on the teams like Cleveland/Miami/Dallas/NYJ who will be interested but forget a lot of teams that will look at them as mediocre DE as opposed to the next stud OLB in a 3-4. Most teams still play a 4-3.

The recent success of guys like DeMarcus Ware & Shawn Merriman is a big reason why Wimbley & Lawson will not fall past the 1st round. With the success of the Pats & Steelers it's likely more teams will be copying their defensive scheme.

BelichickFan said:
One key for us is that Ngata drops to #12 for Cleveland. I think there's a good chance he will and if they take him then that's another 3-4 LB who could drop to us. Not that I think it's a given that we would take a LB but I'm hoping for several to be there so we can take one if we want.

Unlikely with the Rams at 11 needing a DT. Both he & Bunkley should be gone before 12. They might look to trade down but if they don't go LB perhaps Winston Justice if he's available.

bakes781 said:
The recent success of guys like DeMarcus Ware & Shawn Merriman is a big reason why Wimbley & Lawson will not fall past the 1st round. With the success of the Pats & Steelers it's likely more teams will be copying their defensive scheme.
There's more 3-4 teams now but they're still a minority. When I said those guys could fall, I wasn't meaning way down but down enough so that 2 of them are available at #21.

bakes781 said:
Unlikely with the Rams at 11 needing a DT. Both he & Bunkley should be gone before 12. They might look to trade down but if they don't go LB perhaps Winston Justice if he's available.
It's certainly possible they could take Ngata but it's just as possible they'll take a CB, LB or even Cutler if he drops to there.

BelichickFan said:
When I said those guys could fall, I wasn't meaning way down but down enough so that 2 of them are available at #21.

I agree which is why I wouldn't trade up for either of them. I think there will be a run on DBs mid to late in round one. Giving the Pat's great leverage to trade down a few spots & still get a LB or RB of great value.

Matt Leinart

QBs always fall the farthest, if the titans pass on him, its free fall city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye