PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Pats/Jets Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I will get slammed for this...but what is with halftime adjustments?

Hear me out. I love the Coach...as my signature says. But, there comes a time when you gotta look and ask "is he getting out coached"? Seriously, the second half adjustments went to Ryan today. The Jet offense had done NOTHING in the first half. Then, it looked like we sat back and watched, with no pressure. There were flashes of running brilliance by Fred Taylor...so we decided to go 5 wide? Why no screen passes...why do we let a rookie QB sit back and scan the field?

Not sayin'...just asking. When are the halftime adjustments gonna go our way?

We run once or twice and every defense knows that's it, so they don't adjust. If we smash mouthed down the field for a few first downs, (or even touchdowns:eek:) like we were really committed to it I bet it would loosen things up.

Passing is pretty. A balanced offense got us 3 rings.

It does seem like the offense is the opposite of what it used to be, it is now predictable a lot of the time. I understand the emphasis on execution and the idea that it shouldn't matter if they know what play you are going to run but what happened to throwing a twist in to surprise the defense? The play 3rd and short play where Jenkins went out was a great example of this, everyone knew they were going to run to the left (including the D) and the play went for a loss.

Yeah im twelve because I want to rep this season of TUF...please GTFO of here dude.

What does this even mean?

Both our top running backs ran well when given the chance. Besides them we have Morris Faulk and BJGE.

People keep talking about 2007, but we didn't win in 2007. We didn't win in 2002 either and looked incredible with our all passing offense those first two games.

The years we did win, we won with balance offense. One year we had Dillon, but we kept running the other two despite a lot less RB talent than we have on the present team.

With a QB coming off major surgery and a passing offense the whole league has been studying for two years, maybe it's time to actually work our game plan around our talent and return to a balanced offense.

We run once or twice and every defense knows that's it, so they don't adjust. If we smash mouthed down the field for a few first downs, (or even touchdowns:eek:) like we were really committed to it I bet it would loosen things up.

Passing is pretty. A balanced offense got us 3 rings.

At least one failed conversion was a run. Actually lost yardage. And it was Taylor.

Giving up on the Running game too early...

I don't understand that either. I thought the Patriots were thoroughly outcoached today. I don't know if the road game after a Monday night game had anything to do with it, but defensively, that was the most passive defense I have seen in a long time. Whatever happened to the aggressive defensive playcalling we used to see in 01-04? With guys walking around, keeping the offense guessing as to who was going to come and who was going to drop back? Almost every single defensive snap their 4 defensive linemen rushed and (assuming the QB dropped back to pass) the rest dropped into coverage. Come on. Man!

And offensively, how many times did we see Brady come up to the shotgun position and waste the entire play clock (and then some on many occasions) surveying the defense, pointing out the Mike, and generally getting no better results as a consequence? I'll give Rex Ryan some credit here because his defense was putting on a clinic on how to keep the offense off-balance. But I thought OUR coach was supposed to be the defensive genius? How about a few more quick slants, or draws, or screens with the o-line pulling out to block? Instead it was, I hate to say it, a Bledsoesque performance by Brady and the offense. Not that he had a lot of time to survey the defense, but ... sorry, but our coaching was not good today. For every defense their is an offensive counterpunch, and today we just couldn't seem to find it.

And what about half-time adjustments, supposedly BB's forte? I won't say the Pats dominated the first half, but they were one or two shoot-themselves-in-the-foot kind of penalties or dropped passes away from having a much bigger lead; they certainly dominated statistically. But the second half the roles were completely reversed - the Pats were thoroughly dominated.

Let's just hope this turns out to be an anomoly. But right now I am wondering whether all the coaching and front office defections (Weis, Crennel, Mangini, McDaniels, Dimitroff, and Pioli) have finally caught up with BB.

Peas needs to be demoted man, I dunno if BB comes up with the only rush four every play for every game but something needs to be done. No creativity or aggressiveness out of the defense. What the hell was the point of getting faster on defense if all were going to do is sit back and let opposing offenses dictate the game, whats the point of overhauling the secondary when you dont trust them and let them make some plays by putting pressure on the qb.

I don't understand that either. I thought the Patriots were thoroughly outcoached today. I don't know if the road game after a Monday night game had anything to do with it, but defensively, that was the most passive defense I have seen in a long time. Whatever happened to the aggressive defensive playcalling we used to see in 01-04? With guys walking around, keeping the offense guessing as to who was going to come and who was going to drop back? Almost every single defensive snap their 4 defensive linemen rushed and (assuming the QB dropped back to pass) the rest dropped into coverage. Come on. Man!

And offensively, how many times did we see Brady come up to the shotgun position and waste the entire play clock (and then some on many occasions) surveying the defense, pointing out the Mike, and generally getting no better results as a consequence? I'll give Rex Ryan some credit here because his defense was putting on a clinic on how to keep the offense off-balance. But I thought OUR coach was supposed to be the defensive genius? How about a few more quick slants, or draws, or screens with the o-line pulling out to block? Instead it was, I hate to say it, a Bledsoesque performance by Brady and the offense. Not that he had a lot of time to survey the defense, but ... sorry, but our coaching was not good today. For every defense their is an offensive counterpunch, and today we just couldn't seem to find it.

And what about half-time adjustments, supposedly BB's forte? I won't say the Pats dominated the first half, but they were one or two shoot-themselves-in-the-foot kind of penalties or dropped passes away from having a much bigger lead; they certainly dominated statistically. But the second half the roles were completely reversed - the Pats were thoroughly dominated.

Let's just hope this turns out to be an anomoly. But right now I am wondering whether all the coaching and front office defections (Weis, Crennel, Mangini, McDaniels, Dimitroff, and Pioli) have finally caught up with BB.

I agree with your sentiments

Re: I know I will get slammed for this...but what is with halftime adjustments?

BB rarely, if ever, goes 16-0 in outcoaching the other side.

This was one of his losses.

Re: Couldn't have been more wrong

I thought this team had some potential..... I was wrong.

Lets face it. This is not a very good team.

the only word that matter though is "yet"

we started 07 off amazing, we finished it badly....ill take the reverse any year

Re: Couldn't have been more wrong

Once again this goes back to the off season every decision being made because of money. At some point they will have to start paying some players not the cap but the bonus money and this goes back to the owners "the Krafts " they're cheap.

Re: I know I will get slammed for this...but what is with halftime adjustments?

We got duped, Rex went conservative as hell 1st half offensively then turned the dial up to begin the 2nd with the ball, wasnt much to adjust on defense cause they gave us nothing to adjust to. Offense, im not sure what to say, that was awful.

What happened to Maroney?

He was in there to begin, and we were running it decently....

and i noticed on the kick returns he was moving SLOW, like extremely slow.....no burst no nothing

but was running good....and then he never came back into the game on O...

sammy on the other hand was horrendus, his last year on the team

We gotcha! However, I was worried all the way. No matter how you slice it, Brady is always a threat to take you all the way down field for that TD. The D for the Jets looks pretty good though, right? Everyone was skeptical because last week was Houston. Schaub threw for 4 TD's and over 300 today against the Titans. That makes our D look that much better. It was a hard fought victory by the Jets. I did see a couple no-calls that also could have changed the outcome. PI on that Galloway throw could have been huge for you. This should make for a great game in November.

Regarding Revis, a great pass rush makes for improved CB play and Revis is certainly seeing the benefits. But this kid made the Pro-Bowl last season with a very mediocre pass rush. He was right behind Nnamdi's play last year but with this new Rex Ryan attacking D he is now legitimately the best CB in the league. He was on an island with Andre Johnson last week and Randy Moss this week. Shut them both down completely.

Definitely can't argue with the results. In the Jets' defense, it looks like he can go 1 on 1 with pretty much anyone in the league, and our offense relies on constant doubles on Moss to open up space over the middle. Between not having the consistent double on Moss and not having Welker period, we just didn't have an offense today.

This one's on Brady

Brady was terrible today. He was consistently off on his throws and taking the delay of game penalties back to back just killed the Patriots. The defense held them to 16 points and never gave up a big play. The offensive line didn't allow a sack, but Brady was pressured and hit all game. I think that Brady will need a couple of more games before he is comfortable back there.

And why didn't BB challenge the spot on the third down play for the Jets at the end of the third quarter? It looked like he was stopped short of the 25 and the refs gave him a real good spot.

Fair assessment. I think the INT was more Moss not thinking the ball was coming his way than a bad throw. When Randy doensn't think he's the primary he's not locked in. I think at times he does that intentionally to lull the DB but not on that play.

Regarding Revis, a great pass rush makes for improved CB play and Revis is certainly seeing the benefits. But this kid made the Pro-Bowl last season with a very mediocre pass rush. He was right behind Nnamdi's play last year but with this new Rex Ryan attacking D he is now legitimately the best CB in the league. He was on an island with Andre Johnson last week and Randy Moss this week. Shut them both down completely.

If he was on an island with Moss, it was surrounded by the coast guard. Moss said Revis had deep help all day long.

We gotcha! However, I was worried all the way. No matter how you slice it, Brady is always a threat to take you all the way down field for that TD. The D for the Jets looks pretty good though, right? Everyone was skeptical because last week was Houston. Schaub threw for 4 TD's and over 300 today against the Titans. That makes our D look that much better. It was a hard fought victory by the Jets. I did see a couple no-calls that also could have changed the outcome. PI on that Galloway throw could have been huge for you. This should make for a great game in November.

GG man Jets deserved this one they kicked Brady and the offenses ass all day. Love the style of your defense, BB and DC Peabody need to take a good look of how a defense should be played. Im tired of rushing four average pass rushers every play lol.

I think they got decent pressure on Sanchez in the first half and went back to it at the end. Unfortunately they went away from it inexplicably as the second half opened. NY wasn't doing anything particularly exotic either. Just getting excellent pressure with 4 rushing and tremendous pressure when the blitzed.

And if you're looking for the roaming defense of 2003-2004 that gave veteran QB's fits, don't hold your breath. There are too many new moving parts to pull that off. We haven't seen that kind of D in 4 years with or without Seymour as the linebackers and our SS aged out. We don't have the elite LB corps to pull that off these days. They have all they can do to get the call right at this juncture, even with Mayo in. And for the most part they did OK today all things considered. Defense wasn't what cost us this game. It was the inability to score more than 3 FG on offense.

If he was on an island with Moss, it was surrounded by the coast guard. Moss said Revis had deep help all day long.

On the plays where I could see the coverage I noticed a safety watching Moss deep more than a few times. That being said what happened to the Randy Moss who dominated you whether you double covered him or not?

Re: This one's on Brady

Brady was terrible today. He was consistently off on his throws and taking the delay of game penalties back to back just killed the Patriots. The defense held them to 16 points and never gave up a big play. The offensive line didn't allow a sack, but Brady was pressured and hit all game. I think that Brady will need a couple of more games before he is comfortable back there.

And why didn't BB challenge the spot on the third down play for the Jets at the end of the third quarter? It looked like he was stopped short of the 25 and the refs gave him a real good spot.

True, I said the same thing on that spot...he was well short.

iam quite surprised there are so many crticisms for the defense. they have done their best in the currentsituation. they jets didnt have a 1st down for a long time. this defense needs to play with a lead and their offense clicking which hasnt happened in 2 games so of anything the offense has to carry them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe