PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Jets at Patriots Post-Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't catch the game as originally broadcast, but I watched the replay last night. Few things of note:

1. The Pats played a lot more man-coverage (especially underneath) than the game thread made it seem. Sanchez played *great* for the most part.

2. The Pats *did* play a lot of soft zone on that game-tying FG, so I can understand the perception that they played a lot more.

3. Jets OL did a much better job in the 2nd half, particularly in the run-blocking up the middle as well as keeping the pocket from collapsing in front of Sanchez. Good halftime adjustment by the Jets.

4. That being said, the Pats did very little to create pressure. No stunts, too much Kyle Love, no LB blitzing.

5. Brandon Lloyd's first two drops were horrendous. The third drop (while driving for the game-tying FG) was bad, but not as egregious as the first two. Brady made good decisions, but Lloyd let him and the team down. I don't think it's fair to complain about "the Pats forcing the ball downfield"...the plays were there.

6. A few of Lloyd's 8 targets were uncatchable so his "12.5% catch rate" is unfair.

7. Pats for the most part called a good game offensive-wise. They used formations and personnel fairly well in setting up the Jets, including some play-action. Drives were often killed by bad execution (LLoyd's drops, penalties).

8. As far as questionable playcalling goes, one 3rd down that killed them was a hurry-up run handoff to the RB behind Brady while under center. The Jets completely sold out to stop the run and the Pats ran into it. This was something the Pats had done with success (and with a healthy OL) in past games, so the Jets did a good job watching film and the Pats did a bad job of self-scouting. It's a situation like that where the Pats should use some play-action to keep the D honest.

9. The failed back-to-back screens early in the 4th appeared to be a result of too much going to the well. The Pats had great success with the screens earlier in the game, so expecting the Jets to fall for those continually was foolish.

10. The Jets kick coverage on McCourty's TD was horrific. Any competent kick returner would have turned that into a TD.

11. I think the Pats benefited *greatly* from the clock stopping prematurely at 2:01 in the 4th after McCourty's fumble. I think one second more should have run off.

12. Thank God the Pats saved all 3 timeouts for the end of the game. Shows how having all of them are important when needed.

My key takeaways from the game were blown opportunities by the Pats offense (especially Lloyd drops) in the first half that could have turned the game into a rout early, Sanchez played very well overall (especially on both TD drives), the Pats chose the worst time to play soft zone (game-tying FG) and the Pats (especially Brady and Gostkowski) came up huge the last two times they had the ball.

My attitude about these types of games is that they are learning experiences (and film compilation) to better the team come the 2nd half and post-season. Yes, there are issues to address (and now there is hard evidence to peruse for ideas on improvement), but as long as they can win they buy breathing room in case they stumble along the way (see Arizona, Baltimore, Seattle). I'm confident the D we'll see come winter will be much improved over the one we see now. 2011, 2010...heck, even 2005 gives me reason to believe this.

Regards,
Chris

Nice post.

1. Sanchez threw the ball okay with no pressure but looked horrible with it. He simply isn't that good.

2. I'm getting tired of seeing them allow almost every team back in games when they have the lead. That has to be on the coaching.

3 & 4. The lack of adjustments are also on the coaching. It seems like the Pats play worse as games go on.

5 & 6. Brandon Lloyd is not what I expected him to be. He fights the ball a lot and it seems like Brady is forcing the ball to him. If I were doing grades for that game and the season for Lloyd he might not be passing.

7 & 8. They simply don't run the ball enough. When you only run the ball 3 out of every 10 plays the play action doesn't work.

9. Once again it's the coaching. There's an old saying that coaches don't win games, players do, and coaches can only lose them. I believe in that saying, even for Belichick and his coaching staff.

10. McCourty really turned on the Jets on that kick return. He's pretty fast.

11. Speaking of the clock, I can't remember the Pats being so poor at using it as they have been lately. Is that a reflection on McDaniels?

12. The same is true for their use of timeouts, which are often tied into the clock and are a reflection on... that's right, the coaching.

My take is that this was actually a crucial win for the division this year as well as the Pats fans/Jets fans all time record wars. That was HUGE.

Nice post.

1. Sanchez threw the ball okay with no pressure but looked horrible with it. He simply isn't that good.

2. I'm getting tired of seeing them allow almost every team back in games when they have the lead. That has to be on the coaching.

3 & 4. The lack of adjustments are also on the coaching. It seems like the Pats play worse as games go on.

5 & 6. Brandon Lloyd is not what I expected him to be. He fights the ball a lot and it seems like Brady is forcing the ball to him. If I were doing grades for that game and the season for Lloyd he might not be passing.

7 & 8. They simply don't run the ball enough. When you only run the ball 3 out of every 10 plays the play action doesn't work.

9. Once again it's the coaching. There's an old saying that coaches don't win games, players do, and coaches can only lose them. I believe in that saying, even for Belichick and his coaching staff.

10. McCourty really turned on the Jets on that kick return. He's pretty fast.

11. Speaking of the clock, I can't remember the Pats being so poor at using it as they have been lately. Is that a reflection on McDaniels?

12. The same is true for their use of timeouts, which are often tied into the clock and are a reflection on... that's right, the coaching.

My take is that this was actually a crucial win for the division this year as well as the Pats fans/Jets fans all time record wars. That was HUGE.

I want you to explain to me, in as much detail as you possibly can, what YOU, as a coach, would do differently scheme-wise both offensively and defensively.

I for one really like Rex Ryan. Yeah he's on the Jets and they're a **** club (I think any sane Jets fan would at least partially concede this). But I think he's a good coach and his personality is good for the game. He's not despicable like Brother Rob is to me.

Wait a second. You expect opposing fans to hold off making fun of a guy who gets off on watching a hobo lick his wife's feet, defecation, bicuriosity, etc., and a host of other fetishes?

Most of me agrees with you. But, come on! He's a big target!

I dunno whether you're serious or sarcastic. But I'll respond to certain things.

The Dolphins blitzed a lot during the game down in Miami. And though Sanchez didn't play his best game statistically, he stood in the pocket and took tough hits.

I have no excuse/response to offer for the 49ers game though.

Cushing himself said he didn't think the Slausson block was illegal. But the NFL disagreed (and of course they get everything right) so I digress.

As far as rooting for a "degenerate toe sukker", I would rather root for him than a man who sleeps with a married woman and wrecked someone else's family in the process. Or have we chosen to forget about Sharon Shenocca.

In all seriousness eifmp, I don't know what I'd do if The Blowhard was here instead of there. Good luck dealing with that assclown.

I think some Jets fans need to get over their jilted lover syndrome concerning Belichick. The Jests had a shot at keeping him, but because of the way Tuna Crap handled things he ended up here instead.

One last thing. Whenever anyone sarcastically uses the term "they get everything right" to describe the current NFL, then they're really talking about the pompous attitude of former Jets employee Roger Goodell.

Wait a second. You expect opposing fans to hold off making fun of a guy who gets off on watching a hobo lick his wife's feet, defecation, bicuriosity, etc., and a host of other fetishes?

Most of me agrees with you. But, come on! He's a big target!

The best part is that he brought it on himself when he held up a picture of his wife in a press conference in a brain-dead attempt at taking a shot at Brady. He probably meant to get into Brady's head but instead pissed him off and showed the world the pic of his wife that he offered up online. Brilliant!

Was anyone else watching the Ravens-Texans game and thinking "this is how the Pats-Ravens game could have turned out with competent refs"?

The Pats looked capable of blowing the Ravens out early, before the refs took over.

That's because the replacement refs weren't on Kraft's payroll. They couldn't get saved on any close call.

That's because the replacement refs weren't on Kraft's payroll. They couldn't get saved on any close call.

After 44 years of futility, you would think that Rats fans would have come up with a different excuse to mollify their bruised oversized egos.

Any port in a storm I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft