PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The O will get it together, but how 'bout that DEFENSE?!

drew4008

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Offense will take time, both with the injuries and young talent learning their roles. Obviously not promising, but with TB leading 'em, I'm not panicking yet.

But look at that defense! I know, we've played 2 rookie QBs and it was p*ssing rain, but I can't remember the last time our D looked so good. We punted what, 11 times? They just kept going out there and getting the job done when we needed it.

Offense will take time, both with the injuries and young talent learning their roles. Obviously not promising, but with TB leading 'em, I'm not panicking yet.

But look at that defense! I know, we've played 2 rookie QBs and it was p*ssing rain, but I can't remember the last time our D looked so good. We punted what, 11 times? They just kept going out there and getting the job done when we needed it.

They gave up sme big plays but the D bailed the team out. I dont think the D was stellar by any means. Not happy with the way they way they let ivory walk all over them.

let's see what happens when they play an experienced QB. They stepped up and did what they needed to do to win against the dregs of the league, but it was hardly "great". The run D was abysmal last night, the Jet OL was pushing the Pats DL around. Initially they got no pass rush and thank God it was a rookie QB because he missed a few wide opened WR's by either overthrowing or just not seeing them. Yes the O has a longer way to go to get to what we expect from a Patriots O, but the D is not much further ahead IMHO.

This kind of reminds me of Brady's first season, when he was inconsistent passing, but won ugly, largely thanks to good defense. Look back at the record in his early career, and you'll see quite a few 13-10 type wins.

I like that the defense is rising to the challenge and building confidence that they can win a low scoring game.

The two offenses the Patriots have faced are not good, but I will take a good defensive performance. You got to be able to stop the bad teams as well as the good teams. Besides, defenses in the NFL have trouble stopping anybody. The Packers put up over 30 on the 49ers, the Broncos offense manhandled the Ravens, the Steelers defense got gashed by the Titans...Miami put up quite a bit of points on the Browns.....

Please, a little perspective...the NFL is an offensive league, anytime a team can keep the score under 20 it is a HUGE feat.

let's see what happens when they play an experienced QB. They stepped up and did what they needed to do to win against the dregs of the league, but it was hardly "great". The run D was abysmal last night, the Jet OL was pushing the Pats DL around. Initially they got no pass rush and thank God it was a rookie QB because he missed a few wide opened WR's by either overthrowing or just not seeing them. Yes the O has a longer way to go to get to what we expect from a Patriots O, but the D is not much further ahead IMHO.

Comparing to past years I think the Defense is much better now than it has been. Yes we have only played rookie QBs, but we are talking about a defense who have making mediocre QBs look like near hall of famers these past couple of years.

I just don't like the depth at DT......they need another consistent body

The two offenses the Patriots have faced are not good, but I will take a good defensive performance. You got to be able to stop the bad teams as well as the good teams. Besides, defenses in the NFL have trouble stopping anybody. The Packers put up over 30 on the 49ers, the Broncos offense manhandled the Ravens, the Steelers defense got gashed by the Titans...Miami put up quite a bit of points on the Browns.....

Please, a little perspective...the NFL is an offensive league, anytime a team can keep the score under 20 it is a HUGE feat.

Considering this is not the norm for the pats, especially in back to back games.

I know the end results were good (4 sacks, 3 picks, 10 pts allowed), but I'm not ready to anoint this defense as the 2nd coming of 2004 quite yet.

Most alarming was that they seemed to be giving up 5+ yards a carry anytime the Jets ran inside. Wilfork was getting pushed around all night - he didn't seem 100% to me. Spikes seemed invisible for the most part.

Most of the sacks were 'coverage' sacks - Geno had some time to throw, but he's a Sanchez clone when his first option is covered and holds the ball forever. He also threw some bad balls to open receivers, and his receivers dropped balls that should have been caught. The Pats did a pretty good job containing him in the pocket and pressuring him from the edges, at least.

Maybe I'm nitpicking. The defense definitely won the game for them last night. They made plays, and that's a far cry from the last few seasons. There's still a lot of room for improvement though.

I just don't like the depth at DT......they need another consistent body

I hate to say it, but I think that Vince has lost a step. I said so during the Buffalo game, and it was noticeable last night as he got stood up by future HoF entrant Vlad Ducasse.

Most alarming was that they seemed to be giving up 5+ yards a carry anytime the Jets ran inside. Wilfork was getting pushed around all night - he didn't seem 100% to me. Spikes seemed invisible for the most part.

Yup, second game where it looked like the opponent was able to attack us up the middle pretty easily. Not sure what's going on with Big Vince and Tommy, but the interior run defense has not been good.

They gave up sme big plays but the D bailed the team out. I dont think the D was stellar by any means. Not happy with the way they way they let ivory walk all over them.

Seriously...? They allowed 10 points and handed the ball over to the O on the Jets' 8 yard line.

Whilst encouraged, the truer litmus tests for the D are in weeks 4, 5 and 6.

I know the end results were good (4 sacks, 3 picks, 10 pts allowed), but I'm not ready to anoint this defense as the 2nd coming of 2004 quite yet.

Most of the sacks were 'coverage' sacks - Geno had some time to throw, but he's a Sanchez clone when his first option is covered and holds the ball forever. He also threw some bad balls to open receivers, and his receivers dropped balls that should have been caught. The Pats did a pretty good job containing him in the pocket and pressuring him from the edges, at least.

Maybe I'm nitpicking. The defense definitely won the game for them last night. They made plays, and that's a far cry from the last few seasons. There's still a lot of room for improvement though.

In the second half, the gameplan on both sides of the ball became much more conservative. They were willing to let the Jets get into 3rd and 3-6 yards by running it and dared Geno to make a play with his arm, which he clearly was unable to do, thanks to inexperience, conditions and his crummy receiving corps. They made no attempt to put an 8th (or 9th man like the Jets D) in the box, because with the lead they did not have to sell out against the run. They knew they could sit back and dare the Jets to put together a double-digit-play drive, which they only did once all game.

The Jets defense, however, went super-aggressive, playing tight man outside and jamming the box to prevent the run and short passes. They dared Brady to beat them deep and the Pats knew there was no point in having Tom sit back and either throw a pick or get sacked trying to wait for a deep pass to open up. They took a couple calculated risks, usually on 3rd down, and generally were happy with punting and making NY drive it 60+ yards to score.

Basically, Belichick trusted his defense in the second half a lot more than his offense, which I can completely understand given the performance of the O through the first six quarters of the season plus the absolutely torrential rain that came down for the entire second half.

Call them coverage sacks or whatever, but the fact is they hit Geno 9 times in 35 attempts, sacked him 4 times and picked him off 3 times. In today's NFL, a defense holding opponents to just four scoring drives in eight quarters is a damn fine showing. Tampa will be a better test, but so far so good.

The D was in fact stellar. They too the field 5 times in the last 17 1/2 minutes with a 3 point lead supported by an offense that got 2 first downs in tha 1 1/2 minutes and gave up nothing.
What did you want from the D.
Crack me up, 12 carries for 52 yards is now considered walking all over them.

Whilst encouraged, the truer litmus tests for the D are in weeks 4, 5 and 6.

You can only play who is on your schedule. The defense has been tremendous. Pondering what they will be against different teams doesn't change that.
Somehow fans around here seem to think taking the field against an offense that isn't the 1984 Dolphins is in itself a failure.

Jets RBs carried the ball 29 times for 112 yards which is 3.9 a carry.
In what world is that bad run D?

You can only play who is on your schedule. The defense has been tremendous. Pondering what they will be against different teams doesn't change that.
Somehow fans around here seem to think taking the field against an offense that isn't the 1984 Dolphins is in itself a failure.

It was a great performance by the D but I don't think its unreasonable to truly judge how far they measure up until they actually face a team with a real QB and decent offense. In any event you've got to like the D going forward...my primary concern remains with the offense.

It was a great performance by the D but I don't think its unreasonable to truly judge how far they measure up until they actually face a team with a real QB and decent offense. In any event you've got to like the D going forward...my primary concern remains with the offense.

It is fair to ask if this is a meaningful indication of what will happen vs a top offense, but it is ignorant to diminish how well they played by asking that quesiton.

Jets RBs carried the ball 29 times for 112 yards which is 3.9 a carry.
In what world is that bad run D?

in a world where your team is running for 2.3 yards per carry?

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back