PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The NFL Network has the 21st century Patriots as the #4 greatest football dynasty, except......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
They use Spygate and Deflategate as the only reasons why they aren't ranked higher.

Nearly all dynasties are tainted by some cheating allegation (steroids, stikum, circumventing the salary cap) yet only the Patriots are made to pay for ones that aren't even real!

Last edited:
I watched the show, and I wouldn't say that's the reason they weren't ranked higher. They weren't ranked higher because of stupidity and nostalgia. More accurately, the fake scandals were the only criticism they got, and a few of the commentators said they should be #1 and could have six titles with a few breaks.

The Steelers dynasty is the most overrated one of all. They were really good for SIX years. Six! That's it. The 80s/90s 49ers and Patriots (ongoing) are at 15 years.

When all is said and done, no one will ever bother arguing this again because the Belichick/Brady Patriots are the greatest dynasty ever, bar none. It isn't even that close. We are talking about the salary cap era. After these two retire, you won't see another team win two championships in five years again.

I watched the show, and I wouldn't say that's the reason they weren't ranked higher. They weren't ranked higher because of stupidity and nostalgia. More accurately, the fake scandals were the only criticism they got, and a few of the commentators said they should be #1 and could have six titles with a few breaks.

The Steelers dynasty is the most overrated one of all. They were really good for SIX years. Six! That's it. The 80s/90s 49ers and Patriots (ongoing) are at 15 years.

When all is said and done, no one will ever bother arguing this again because the Belichick/Brady Patriots are the greatest dynasty ever, bar none. It isn't even that close. We are talking about the salary cap era. After these two retire, you won't see another team win two championships in five years again.

I didn't watch but from what you have said, the commentary about the Steelers is off base.

From 1972 to 1984 they averaged 10 wins a season, made the playoffs 11 times, 7 AFCCG appearances and of course 4 SBs. Thats pretty dominant.

I didn't watch but from what you have said, the commentary about the Steelers is off base.

From 1972 to 1984 they averaged 10 wins a season, made the playoffs 11 times, 7 AFCCG appearances and of course 4 SBs. Thats pretty dominant.

I believe the criteria they used was book ended Super Bowls. So yes, maybe I am off base in saying they were only good for six years, but their Super Bowl run lasted only six years. 49ers went from 1981 to 1994. Patriots 2001 to 2014.

Only ones who knew to stick the steroid needle in your ass.

After these two retire, you won't see another team win two championships in five years again.

Not sure how you can say that. As even during the Patriots dynasty the Steelers won 2 Super Bowls after the 2005 and 2008 season. And lost a 3rd in 2010.

While the Colts and Seahawks both won and lost a Super Bowl within a 5 year span.

I believe the criteria they used was book ended Super Bowls. So yes, maybe I am off base in saying they were only good for six years, but their Super Bowl run lasted only six years. 49ers went from 1981 to 1994. Patriots 2001 to 2014.
Ah ok....

Yea the Steelers were very good and knocking on the door in 72 and 73. If Bradshaw stays healthy in 76 they beat OAK. 77 was kinda like the 09 Pats. Just not playing well together. To argue against myself, 80-84 they were competitive but not championship caliber.

You could also argue that in 02, 05, 08 and 09 the Pats were not championship-caliber.

For the 49ers, they were not championship caliber in 82 and 91 they had no chance with Young out. They were good after 94 thru 98. GB was a blocker.

Man if the Pats only won in 07 and/or 11....

5 in 14 or 6 in 14 removes any doubt or discussion.

Last edited:
Only ones who knew to stick the steroid needle in your ass.
Lyle Alzado was on the 77 Broncos SB team and knew that very well.

Lions do not concern themselves with the opinions of sheep

Heh. It's never quite a complete thread here without a Game of Thrones reference.
Nicely done. :)

It's difficult comparing salary cap dynasties to pre salary cap dynasties. It makes what the Patriots have done all the more incredible.

Those 49er/Dallas/Steeler dynasties included hall of fame/pro bowl players at almost every single position. You had 3rd/4th string players who would have been number 1 players on any other team.

If we abandoned the salary cap, its not a stretch to believe we might see something like that happen again (whichever billionare chooses to invest the most), but its hard to see a repeat of what the Patriots have done in terms of degree of difficulty.

I consider the last few years of Seattle and the early 2k Rams as worthy contenders in terms of team building and talent accumulation, they got incredibly lucky in terms of drafting/striking gold with lots of young players. However their teams were only able to hold onto it for 2-3 years before free agency/age tore them apart.

The Pats are one of the greatest dynasties in pro sports, not just the NFL.

WTF?

^^^ there's 8 of them, I think the other two were the 70s Cowboys and 70s/80s Raiders

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News