PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Media Got It Wrong With Their Coverage Of Tim Tebow With The Patriots

The Media Got It Wrong With Their Coverage Of Tim Tebow With The Patriots
By: Russ Goldman

Read my thoughts on the media coverage of Tim Tebow this summer....

Serious fans always knew he was a long/no shot. The media panders to the LCD (lowest common denominator). So, I'm afraid as far as ratings and fan interest, they got it just right.

Russ, the long and short of it is that your underlying presumption is either wrong, or the premise is somewhat flawed.

Various media outlets produce Tebow articles/pieces because they generate better numbers in terms of hits to an article, or viewers. In short, Tebow = ratings, which is what media outlets are after.

So, when you said: "Well, I am here to tell these media members that you are wrong. Pats fans want to hear about the players on the field, and can they help lead them to a title."

Either you were incorrect as to what "pats fans" overall were wanting, or, were under the mistaken presumption that "pats fans" were the target audience.

Serious fans always knew he was a long/no shot. The media panders to the LCD (lowest common denominator). So, I'm afraid as far as ratings and fan interest, they got it just right.

Well said Bags. Serious Patriots fans knew that he was a long shot and because the media, like Nick Underhill, who would project Tim Tebow making the team would be "controversial" for those that know this team, Tim Tebow's ability at quarterback, and his group of lemmings that follow him wherever he goes.

It is sad that the media take advantage of situations where an undeserving player who was competing for a job in a training camp by simply attributing his opportunity on this team or any NFL team through roster projections.

This will be a classic learning opportunity of how hypothesizing one player turns into a short-term business proposition for media and journalism students.

It Is What It Is » Tom Brady on D&C: Tim Tebow ?really a great person and a great player?

Excerpt from article below.

Tom Brady said “I enjoy being around him very much,” Brady said. “He’s a very talented football player. To have a chance to spend a couple of months with him and kind of become a friend of his, was a great thing. We were yesterday talking about a lot of the quarterbacks that have been through our team over the years. Everyone brings a unique skill set and attitude to the table.

“I really enjoyed being with him. And you never know. Maybe, things in the NFL always — who knows, he could be back on the team at some point this year. I wish him nothing but the best. He’s really a great person and a great player.”

My thoughts:
Demos said it perfectly. Various media outlets write stories about Tebow for various reasons because Tebow articles generate hits. Russ, you seem to presume that All Pats fans didn't want to read Tebow news/articles or that Pats fans were the main focus when writing Tebow stories. Which is a very flawed perception. IMO

It Is What It Is » Tom Brady on D&C: Tim Tebow ?really a great person and a great player?

.....My thoughts:
Demos said it perfectly. Various media outlets write stories about Tebow for various reasons because Tebow articles generate hits. Russ, you seem to presume that All Pats fans didn't want to read Tebow news/articles or that Pats fans were the main focus when writing Tebow stories. Which is a very flawed perception. IMO

100% true, CC.

And Lindsay Lohan and Honey Boo-Boo are the most written about women in America. I wouldn't confuse celebrity with excellence.

Last edited:
100% true, CC.

And Lindsay Lohan and Honey Boo-Boo are the most written about women in America. I wouldn't confuse celebrity with excellence.

Well in Tebow's case many stories are written about Tebow because of his excellence. Some of his Excellence comes from his OFF THE FIELD activities which include building children's hospitals, Timmy's playrooms, donating 200k to a charity on the Apprentice etc.

However, some articles are written about what he's done on the football field. Which usually don't represent excellence, but rather a guy who has flaws as QB, but is an athletic football player with good football skills in some areas.

So no I am not confusing celebrity with excellence. I am just saying various people want to read about Tebow for reasons that may be good or bad.

Well in Tebow's case many stories are written about Tebow because of his excellence. His Excellence comes from his OFF THE FIELD activities which include building children's hospitals, Timmy's playrooms, donating 200k to a charity on the Apprentice etc.

However, some articles are written about what he's done on the football field. Which don't represent excellence, but rather a guy who has flaws as QB, but is a athletic football player with good football skills in some areas.

So no I am not confusing celebrity with excellence. I am just saying various people want to read about Tebow for reasons that may be good or bad.

Too bad his "excellence" never translated to football. :rolleyes:

Excerpt from article below.

Tom Brady said “I enjoy being around him very much,” Brady said. “He’s a very talented football player. To have a chance to spend a couple of months with him and kind of become a friend of his, was a great thing. We were yesterday talking about a lot of the quarterbacks that have been through our team over the years. Everyone brings a unique skill set and attitude to the table.

“I really enjoyed being with him. And you never know. Maybe, things in the NFL always — who knows, he could be back on the team at some point this year. I wish him nothing but the best. He’s really a great person and a great player.”

My thoughts:

Don't read too much into Tom Brady's comments. You can insert pretty much any former patriots name in there and Tom's comments would be the same. His history has demonstrated that.

As for the Tebow stories, ESPN in particular seem to continue to drive the Tebow story. I can't speak on behalf of other Pats fans, but for me he would have been a complete non-story (at least on this board) if not for his fanatics. To me, he was no more than a marginal player trying to make the roster. Unfortunately, the hyperbole brought on by his fans turned it into more than it was.

Don't read too much into Tom Brady's comments. You can insert pretty much any former patriots name in there and Tom's comments would be the same. His history has demonstrated that.

As for the Tebow stories, ESPN in particular seem to continue to drive the Tebow story. I can't speak on behalf of other Pats fans, but for me he would have been a complete non-story (at least on this board) if not for his fanatics. To me, he was no more than a marginal player trying to make the roster. Unfortunately, the hyperbole brought on by his fans turned it into more than it was.

Well, since you went there....

If you go back and actually check the record, you'll see that there was an awful lot of Tebow hysteria going on well before any "Tebowites" showed up here. While I waited a few days for my registration to be approved, it was humorous to see more than a handful of forum regulars calling some people out on this very topic.

It's all there in the old threads. You can argue with it if you want, but the facts are the facts :)

That Tebow playoff game against the Steelers is one I can always go back to when I talk smack to Steeler fans.

And for that I will always be grateful. Thank you Tim.

I've had enough. i'm going to write a post decrying all the posters who have nothing better to do than post about Tebow again.

I don't feel sorry for the guy one iota. He has banked millions. He will be able to bank on many more millions after his NFL stint.

He can be the next Billy Graham. He can feed the hungry homeless and depraved in the back alley's of the third world of 'Merica (hey, it's not a pretty sight here anymore with all of the jobs going elsewhere and the illegals coming over in droves that are getting all of the assistance while not doing anything productive but rioting and raping and smuggling in drugs and disease).

Maybe he found his true calling after all! :rolleyes:

I've had enough. i'm going to write a post decrying all the posters who have nothing better to do than post about Tebow again.

I'm surprised they are still here, to be honest with you.

If people refuse to stop posting, I might be forced to post about him again!

I don't know where I'm going
But, I sure know where I've been
Hanging on the promises
In songs of yesterday
An' I've made up my mind,
I ain't wasting no more time
But, here I go again
Here I go again

I disagree with this. What exactly is the motive for bringing in a guy who has no shot? There were some pretty decent free agent quarterbacks sitting at home this offseason. Why would the Patriots bring in Tebow if they really thought he was terrible? I think they thought there was some possible upside with his athleticism and overall potential value. Josh McDaniels drafted him in the first round. I don't think the Patriots make the personnel moves they do to win ribbons and win popularity contests. Suppose that Ryan Mallett gets injured in practice before this season... we could have a different QB in here learning the system to be an emergency plan backup. As of right now, if Mallett got injured tomorrow, Tebow probably becomes our backup.

I disagree with this. What exactly is the motive for bringing in a guy who has no shot? There were some pretty decent free agent quarterbacks sitting at home this offseason. Why would the Patriots bring in Tebow if they really thought he was terrible? I think they thought there was some possible upside with his athleticism and overall potential value. Josh McDaniels drafted him in the first round. I don't think the Patriots make the personnel moves they do to win ribbons and win popularity contests. Suppose that Ryan Mallett gets injured in practice before this season... we could have a different QB in here learning the system to be an emergency plan backup. As of right now, if Mallett got injured tomorrow, Tebow probably becomes our backup.

Agreed. It's simple with BB. Every decision is a football decision. It was a football decision to bring in Tebow just like it was a football decision to cut him. Time to move on now and focus on those players who are on the team currently.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back