PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The importance of that Baltimore game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belmont Henry

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
After that heroic win over the Ravens on the Divisional Round, I read an article from Don Banks of CNNSI that really stuck with me for weeks. I liked it so much that I saved it here, because I knew that after the Super Bowl I'd be coming back to read it again. I just wanted to share this with you guys, in case someone missed it. It feels great to read this now that we won it all. That Baltimore game, excruciating as it was, perhaps was indeed exactly what we needed.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/01/10/nf...new-england-patriots-tom-brady-julian-edelmand

In playoff comeback for the ages, Patriots pass their toughest test yet.

FOXBORO, Mass. -- This was the one. The win the New England Patriots so desperately needed and absolutely had to have. Yes, to advance. But not only to survive, but to prove something to themselves, too. This was the kind of test that tells the Patriots they’re ready to chase, and finally claim, that elusive fourth Super Bowl ring.

That’s how much this one meant, and even if it was only the NFL playoffs' divisional round, don’t sell it short. New England 35, Baltimore 31 was an instant classic of a game, a three-and-a-half-hour heavyweight title bout. And for the comeback-minded Patriots, it’s the outcome that makes the difference between believing they’re for real or destined for another January disappointment, the kind they’ve almost cornered the market on for most of the past decade.

I’m convinced. It took the Patriots (13-4) almost 55 minutes of game time to battle their way to their first lead Saturday at a frosty Gillette Stadium, but once they did, they crossed a threshold of legitimacy and credibility that only a win over Baltimore (11-7) would have provided. The Ravens, their recent playoff nemesis, threw everything they had at New England, but the Patriots took it, counter-punched and found a way to win anyway, becoming the first team in NFL playoff history to advance by overcoming two different 14 point deficits -- one in each half.

And now, with their most challenging hurdle cleared, I won’t be surprised one bit if they roll in next Sunday’s AFC Championship Game back here at Gillette, no matter if their opponent is defending conference champion Denver or the No. 4-seeded Indianapolis Colts -- both of whom the Patriots defeated soundly in the regular season. If this season in New England has in store what I think it has in store, this will be the game that the Patriots look back on as the most crucial step they took toward a title. Their defining moment.

Saturday’s dramatic win proved Belichick’s team won’t play the patsy this January. The Patriots just passed their toughest test in memorable fashion, and the Ravens have been vanquished. In New England, another trip to the Super Bowl suddenly seems much, much closer, and well within reach.

If this season in New England has in store what I think it has in store, this will be the game that the Patriots look back on as the most crucial step they took toward a title. Their defining moment.

nfl_g_edelman12_576x324.jpg

Last edited:
Another excellent quote:

And now, with their most challenging hurdle cleared, I won’t be surprised one bit if they roll in next Sunday’s AFC Championship Game back here at Gillette

As I am sure Coach Belichick preaches, the team needs to be ready to play 60 minutes of football. That certainly was the case against Baltimore and Seattle.

Two of the three postseason games were all-time record-setters for comebacks. The one in-between was an utter blowout.

I'm a Ravens fan. Since the whole Deflategate issue started, immediately after the AFC Champs game I created an account here to try to leave you all an encouraging post. It was only until last week that I was approved to post in these forums and since then my initial post would of been kind of "late to the party" so to speak. Anyways my post was going to be somewhere around the lines of:

"Despite the fact that I hate your team's guts, the Pats fans and the Pats organization don't deserve all of this scrutiny. You're going to (and rightfully so) go down as one of the greatest teams in sport's history. You're proven winners and all of this deflate nonsense is irrelevant. I'm confident that you will beat Seattle"

I really do enjoy having the Pats as post-season rivals and congratulations on your win. I'm really going to miss Brady and Belicheck when they leave (I hope you guy's continue to be good for a few more years). While I hate losing to your team, I can find the dignity in losing to a team of your caliber. Don't get me wrong though. I didn't come here to be classy. I hope we knock you out of the playoffs next season. I can't stand you! I hate your team more than I hate the Steelers and quite a lot of Ravens fans feel this way too.

S/N: Thank you for doing what the Broncos failed to do last year by showcasing that the AFC isn't the doormat for the NFC. AFC football is the best in my opinion and you guy's represented well. Thank you for that. Enjoy your 4th championship. I hate you!

Welcome To The Forum Alasker!

I'm a Ravens fan. Since the whole Deflategate issue started, immediately after the AFC Champs game I created an account here to try to leave you all an encouraging post. It was only until last week that I was approved to post in these forums and since then my initial post would of been kind of "late to the party" so to speak. Anyways my post was going to be somewhere around the lines of:

"Despite the fact that I hate your team's guts, the Pats fans and the Pats organization don't deserve all of this scrutiny. You're going to (and rightfully so) go down as one of the greatest teams in sport's history. You're proven winners and all of this deflate nonsense is irrelevant. I'm confident that you will beat Seattle"

I really do enjoy having the Pats as post-season rivals and congratulations on your win. I'm really going to miss Brady and Belicheck when they leave (I hope you guy's continue to be good for a few more years). While I hate losing to your team, I can find the dignity in losing to a team of your caliber. Don't get me wrong though. I didn't come here to be classy. I hope we knock you out of the playoffs next season. I can't stand you! I hate your team more than I hate the Steelers and quite a lot of Ravens fans feel this way too.

S/N: Thank you for doing what the Broncos failed to do last year by showcasing that the AFC isn't the doormat for the NFC. AFC football is the best in my opinion and you guy's represented well. Thank you for that. Enjoy your 4th championship. I hate you!

I wish more Ravens fans were like you. :)

The level of effort and also talent in that game was incredible by both teams.

I'm a Ravens fan.

I really do enjoy having the Pats as post-season rivals and congratulations on your win. I'm really going to miss Brady and Belicheck when they leave (I hope you guy's continue to be good for a few more years). While I hate losing to your team, I can find the dignity in losing to a team of your caliber. Don't get me wrong though. I didn't come here to be classy. I hope we knock you out of the playoffs next season. I can't stand you! I hate your team more than I hate the Steelers and quite a lot of Ravens fans feel this way too. Enjoy your 4th championship. I hate you!

I hate your guts, too, and your head coach is a lunatic.

John+Harbaugh+Allen+Baynes+Pittsburgh+Steelers+7AvT_A-vKFWx.jpg

That Ravens game showed this patriots team had heart and a lot of talent. Another reason I'm glad we won is because we all know they would have beaten the Colts and been in the super bowl. If the main Patriot players stay healthy next season I think Baltimore is the only team that could keep us from Super Bowl 50. They are really the only threat in the afc right now unless a team takes a giant leap forward.

The Ravens became the rival that the Colts were supposed to be.

Things could change with draft and free agency. But as of right now, the only legitimate contenders I see are New England and Baltimore out of the AFC and Seattle and Green Bay from the NFC.

What a great post! Thank you for the compliments and for taking the time to come here and share your opinion with us. It's always great to have a class act rival fan to talk to. Personally, I have a LOT of respect for the Ravens (even though I can't stand some of your players) and I have to admit that when they beat the Steelers the first thing in my mind was "####, not the Ravens again!" I knew right then it was gonna be an epic fight. I find it amazing that even though sometimes Baltimore struggles during the regular season, they always seem to find their best football when the playoffs come. You guys gave us everything we could handle as usual and I am sure we have a lot of fierce battles to come in the next few years. I also loved your comment about the AFC. I've always thought AFC football is better and more "classy", for lack of a better word. I hate you too and hope to see you around here! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back