PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Cornerback Position 2016 and Beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
On the roster already:

Malcolm Butler
Darryl Roberts
Logan Ryan

Options:

1. Resign Justin Coleman. seems like a fairly obvious deal although they'll probably be competing with the Seahawks for his signature.
  2. Trade for Jason McCourty or sign Prince Amukamara. Two players we know the Patriots have shown interest in. Sean Smith is another possibility here although he might prove to be too expensive on the open market.
  3. Acquire Marcus Cooper, either following a cut or through a trade. Again we know of previous interest in acquiring Cooper.
  4. Sign Morris Claiborne. we don't know how BB views Claiborne but BB does have previous for signing former first round picks that have struggled elsewhere. Claiborne certainly has the talent to fit our system but does his heart/brain match his talent.
  5. Re-sign Tarrell Brown. He was looking good enough prior to his injury but at 31 next year, he's probably not a preferable first option.
Obviously we could draft a CB but we have a young group. I think options 1,2 and 5 makes the most sense. A CB corps of:

Jason McCourty/Prince Amukamara
Tarrell Brown
Malcolm Butler
Darryl Roberts
Logan Ryan
Justin Coleman

would be a perfectly good group for me.

Have I missed any options?

Last edited:
On the roster already:

Malcolm Brown
Darryl Roberts
Logan Ryan

Options:

1. Resign Justin Coleman. seems like a fairly obvious deal although they'll probably be competing with the Seahawks for his signature.
  2. Trade for Jason McCourty or sign Prince Amukamara. Two players we know the Patriots have shown interest in. Sean Smith is another possibility here although he might prove to be too expensive on the open market.
  3. Acquire Marcus Cooper, either following a cut or through a trade. Again we know of previous interest in acquiring Cooper.
  4. Sign Morris Claiborne. we don't know how BB views Claiborne but BB does have previous for signing former first round picks that have struggled elsewhere. Claiborne certainly has the talent to fit our system but does his heart/brain match his talent.
  5. Re-sign Tarrell Brown. He was looking good enough prior to his injury but at 31 next year, he's probably not a preferable first option.
Obviously we could draft a CB but we have a young group. I think options 1,2 and 5 makes the most sense. A CB corps of:

Tarrell Brown
Malcolm Butler
Darryl Roberts
Logan Ryan
Justin Coleman

Malcolm Brown?

Isn't Coleman an ERFA next offseason? Wouldn't NE be competing with themselves?

The nuances of the idiotic contract situation always pass me by. Good point.

This is looking way too far ahead right now.

1. I am hoping we come out of this season with 3 CB's we can call "reliable" Most likely Butler, Ryan, and Coleman.

2. Then add a good FA, and a high draft pick, preferably one with some size

3. Hope that in camp you get one, out of Brown, Roberts, and any other currently IR'd or other FA camp fodder turns into a roster player.

But that is NEXT year and we aren't even half way through this one. Right now it looks to me that our back up plan if Butler or Ryan get hurt is Devin.

I think Tarell Brown's career might be effectively over. Recurring foot injuries at his age don't leave a lot of room at the end of the tunnel, IMO.

I definitely want to see what Darryl Roberts can do, but I think the Pats need one good starter-caliber CB for me to be comfortable with the position going into next season. Another Brown-type signing, although hopefully this time the guy stays on the field.

Melvin should be an ERFA next year. Will have only 2 accrued seasons (2013 and 2015) after this year. Need to have 3 accrued seasons to become an RFA.

I think Tarell Brown's career might be effectively over. Recurring foot injuries at his age don't leave a lot of room at the end of the tunnel, IMO.

I definitely want to see what Darryl Roberts can do, but I think the Pats need one good starter-caliber CB for me to be comfortable with the position going into next season. Another Brown-type signing, although hopefully this time the guy stays on the field.
Damn shame Roberts can't help the team right now....

On the roster already:

Malcolm Butler
Darryl Roberts
Logan Ryan

Options:

Tarrell Brown
Malcolm Butler
Darryl Roberts
Logan Ryan
Justin Coleman

Trade up in the second round and draft Kendall Fuller whose injury will likely push him out of the first.

We might be pretty happy with Justin Coleman in the near future. Guy has looked good so far.

We might be pretty happy with Justin Coleman in the near future. Guy has looked good so far.

He's been OK, though Miami took advantage of him. Miami did the same thing to Butler last year, so maybe that's a good sign. :)

Trade up in the second round and draft Kendall Fuller whose injury will likely push him out of the first.

In this scenario you don't need to spend a draft pick on another young and inexperienced DB. This secondary needs experience and not more youth.

I'm afraid I don't understand the obsession with marcus cooper. The guy isn't very good but people here keep wanting to get him, pretty much the definition of jag

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back