PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2020 Super Bowl pregame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can never count out brady but this will be incredibly tough. Kc this year is as good as it gets in this era. Began as favorites and the top team throughout(I think outside of the city of Pittsburgh most people realized kc was the legit best team by far even during the Steelers 11-0 run). And the coaching matchup is heavy in kcs favor. mBucs need to be in mahomes face all day and take advantage of those tackles. If Antonio can play that will be huge i think, him and Brady we’re starting to get it going down the stretch before the injury.
Bucs need Winfield and Whitehead to play. AB is just icing on the cake.

They clearly can turn it on when they feel like it. They're in control of almost every game. They are loaded on offense and have a good enough D. They remind me of the 2000's Pats as they miles ahead of everyone. Difference is, I think the Chiefs are built for a 3 peat. And if that happens, we Pats fans better start sweating on the Chiefs chasing the Pats 6 Lombardi's. And it won't take 20 years to do so.

There's no question they're a great team that should contend into the future.

Right now, though, they've won one championship.

Besides the Patriots, there's no team in the NFL that has consistently won championships, or even appeared in the Super Bowl, after their quarterback gets his pay day. And a major reason the Patriots are an outlier is because Brady and his 2 best offensive weapons always cost around $35-40M. That, not Brady's slightly discounted/strangely structured contracts, is the real story.

Even with creative cap delays to Mahomes, he, Kelce, and Hill, etc., will cost about $55M next season, which is about 1/3 of the entire cap. Not many QBs are willing to part with their high-priced weapons, and not many GMs even consider that great QBs have a multiplier effect on non-elite skill players that makes them more valuable. The Patriots led the league in scoring under Brady despite being notoriously unwilling to surround him high-paid, blue chip weapons.

Maybe they'll be okay...and a large erosion in roster talent will still not be enough from preventing Mahomes getting to a conference championship game every year. Maybe not. But the fact is, this year hasn't really proved much. They were supposed to be absolutely dominant and they are. Next test is: how do you remain dominant with scarce draft ammo and a roster budget that's $40M less than before due to your QB. Your QB isn't actually better making $40M than $5M; he is the exact same guy but just costs more.

A lot of teams seem really smart when their star QB has a rookie deal. Even Jared Goff made the Super Bowl; the Seahawks seemed destined for a dynasty; the 2011 Packers were cruising towards the five championships. There's just no way to say with any confidence how the Chiefs will do when the bonus period ends. Look at all the constant *****ing in Green Bay, Seattle, Indianapolis, etc. about how management has botched their chances for multiple championships. The rosters aren't botched; it's just a natural cap consequence, and fans have unrealistic expectations that the team will suddenly hit draft picks and free agents at impossible rates.

Last edited:
The Tampa pass rush will need to get home to Mahomes enough to force either a few mistakes and/or make him rush his decision making if they want a real chance of pulling off the upset. Easier said than done of course.

They should be able too GB had a better oline and that was before fisher went down. Also Vea has two weeks of practice to go and he was looking amazing vs GB and a top 3 center with double teams.

I think it’s great that they got beat and played KC the first time. Imagine if they didn’t and came out in that dumbass cover 1 on Hill in the super bowl would be absurd. Now I can see the gaming to take him away like they did in the second half and I belive KC only scored 10 points after that first quarter

Well he was speaking to the media after the game in the post game press conference and it didn’t seem he was wearing a sling or anything. So will see

Hmmm. Maybe a stinger then. Those things suck balls.

he already stopped Seattle from back to back. now he’s trying to stop a 3rd dynasty (rams, seahawks, chiefs)

Hoe about the Jaguar? Although they did win there Super Bowl in week two the following year.
I fear if Brady doesn't stop the Chiefs, they will be the first team to 3 peat.

can they get to two first

All this praise for brady from the media- if he loses sunday in the SB- they will turn around to his 4 losses in the SB more than any QB . Thats how the media works

All this praise for brady from the media- if he loses sunday in the SB- they will turn around to his 4 losses in the SB more than any QB . Thats how the media works
I think Brady's legacy is pretty secure at this point. Win or lose, taking the Bucs to the Super Bowl only adds to what he has done.

I think Brady's legacy is pretty secure at this point. Win or lose, taking the Bucs to the Super Bowl only adds to what he has done.
I dont disagree. I am just talking about the media reporting. for e.g Leonard Fournette responds to Tom Brady like a son to a father - ProFootballTalk

It won’t be easy for Brady because it never is. He’s 6-3 in Super Bowls. He’s never won one in a blowout. But for a comeback for the ages against the Falcons in Super Bowl LI, the aging quarterback would be 5-4 in Super Bowls. And it will take all that he and his teammates have to avoid having Brady’s all-time mark slide to 6-4, because the Chiefs may be the toughest opponent Brady has ever faced in a championship game.

I dont disagree. I am just talking about the media reporting. for e.g Leonard Fournette responds to Tom Brady like a son to a father - ProFootballTalk
It won’t be easy for Brady because it never is. He’s 6-3 in Super Bowls. He’s never won one in a blowout. But for a comeback for the ages against the Falcons in Super Bowl LI, the aging quarterback would be 5-4 in Super Bowls. And it will take all that he and his teammates have to avoid having Brady’s all-time mark slide to 6-4, because the Chiefs may be the toughest opponent Brady has ever faced in a championship game.
TB12 and the Pats were 14 point underdogs against the Rams in SB 36.

If you ain’t first, you’re last.

I feel the Bucs are winning this game. A lot of motivation at home. Also brady wants to win one without bill. Also give me the Bucs DL over the chefs. The Bucs offense was pretty much stagnant and very predictable. Not anymore. Give brady time and he will find these guys.

People can make silly arguments against Brady, or for that matter LeBron, but no athlete is likely to have the same type of championship round success that we were accustomed to 20 years ago. The insane competition in the expansion era and the salary cap are the reason why.

Montana was 4-0 because the Super Bowl was more of a crowning ceremony than competition. The NFC won 14 straight Super Bowls. The 80s 49ers, 70s Steelers, and 60s Packers were loaded with Hall of Fame players who would be free agents immediately in today’s league. The 90s Cowboys couldn’t even stay dominant for more than five years.

It’s other sports too. LeBron is probably the best example of it. Jordan set an impossible standard filled with contradictions and hype. 6-0, awesome. But what about those other eight seasons, where unlike LeBron dragging his teammates to the Finals, Jordan fell short? Jordan never made a Finals without Pippen, Jackson, and an overall great supporting cast. I don’t think LeBron is better than Jordan, but I think the Finals record is the absolute stupidest argument.

So I’d argue that both Jordan and Montana are both responsible for the Perfect Championship Record standard that exists today, though both benefit immensely from nonsensical logic and fluff marketing/dumb media takes.

So people who want to jump on the Mahomes is undefeated! train if he wins, that’s fine, but if Mahomes ever wins six Super Bowls, it will be along with some losses.

The Chiefs are starting Mike Remmers at Left Tackle. He was Carolina’s LT in SB50 and is infamous for getting annihilated by Von Miller.

The Chiefs are starting Mike Remmers at Left Tackle. He was Carolina’s LT in SB50 and is infamous for getting annihilated by Von Miller.
Yikes luckily for the Chiefs, Mahomes is most dangerous when plays break down. His receivers play to that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back