PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2014 Mock draft Thread.

Should have said. My latest mock takes into account two of my latest pet theories, namely that we're not going to draft a TE early and that BB doesn't draft interior OL early.

Felt like a quick mock draft after hearing we got that 4th round pick.

Nothing too fancy here (and I will skip my offensive binkie ASJ)

#15 - Aaron Donald - DT (cost us our 1st and 2nd) - hard to not push for some kind of trade up now. We don't need 8 picks especially with this UDFA class.

#93 - Tripp - OLB
#130 - James Gayle - DE
#140 - Antone Exum - SS
#198 - Russell Bodine - OG/C
#206 - De'Anthony Thomas - RB
#244 - Jake Murphy - TE

UDFAs... maybe

Gator Hoskins - FB
Terrance Fede - DE
Blake Annen - TE
Cornelius Lucas - OT
Ben Gardner - DE
Zack Kerr - DT
Chandler Jones - WR
Quincy Enunwa - WR

And others... Will need to look into it more but a lot of guys worth picking up.

Trade 29+62 to Pittsburgh for 15

#15 - Aaron Donald -DT

Trade Ryan Mallett to Oakland for 67 plus a conditional pick

#67 - Joel Bitonio/Marcus Martin/Weston Richburg - OL
#93 - Jordan Tripp/Christian Jones - LB
#130 Antone Exum - SS/CB
#140 - Aaron Murray - QB

Trade 206 to San Francisco for 242 and 243.

#242 - Gator Hoskins/Trey Millard, FB/H-Back
#243 - Jake Murphy/Richard Rodgers, TE
#244 - Terrance Fede/Larry Webster, DE

UDFAs... maybe

Trey Millard/Gator Hoskins - FB/H-Back
Zach Moore - DE
Larry Webster/Terrance Fede - DE
Blake Annen/Ted Bolser - TE
Cornelius Lucas - OT
Brandon Linder - OG
Zack Kerr - DT
Chandler Jones - WR
Quincy Enunwa - WR
Zach Bauman - RB
Ben Malena - RB
Lorenzo Taliaferro - RB
Tom Savage - QB
Jeff Matthews - QB

Trade 29+62 to Pittsburgh for 15

#15 - Aaron Donald -DT

Trade Ryan Mallett to Oakland for 67 plus a conditional pick

#93 - Jordan Tripp/Christian Jones - LB
#130 Antone Exum - SS/CB
#140 - Aaron Muray - QB

Trade 206 to San Francisco for 242 and 243.

#242 - Gator Hoskins/Trey Millard, FB/H-Back
#243 - Jake Murphy/Richard Rodgers, TE
#244 - Terrance Fede/Larry Webster, DE

UDFAs... maybe

Trey Millard/Gator Hoskins - FB/H-Back
Zach Moore - DE
Larry Webster/Terrance Fede - DE
Blake Annen/Ted Bolser - TE
Cornelius Lucas - OT
Brandon Linder - OG
Zack Kerr - DT
Chandler Jones - WR
Quincy Enunwa - WR
Zach Bauman - RB
Ben Malena - RB
Lorenzo Taliaferro - RB
Tom Savage - QB
Jeff Matthews - QB

How does your mock work without a Mallett trade?

How does your mock work without a Mallett trade?

2 options:

1. I stand pat at 29 and take Dominique Easley, then take OL at 62.

2. I still do the Donald trade up, and I use #140 on an OL like Trai Turner or Cameron Fleming.

This is a value group I really like. I've been struggling with Martin, who IMO really could have used another year in school -- I don't think he's ready to be an NFL center. But I'm warming to the possibility of him starting sooner rather than later at RG while he learns.

This is a value group I really like. I've been struggling with Martin, who IMO really could have used another year in school -- I don't think he's ready to be an NFL center. But I'm warming to the possibility of him starting sooner rather than later at RG while he learns.

I also include Brandon Thomas in the same "value group", though I think he's likely to be the first of the 4 off the board.

This is just the first of probably three that I will do between now and the draft, so this is subject to change depending on what else the team does with trades or FA between now and the draft. That said, here goes nothing...

Remaining offseason moves:
1. Release/restructure/extend Vince Wilfork

2. Sign Maurice Jones-Drew and Shaun Phillips

Draft:

Trade 29 to Jacksonville for 39, 105, and 114. Yes, I know my math is off, but the Jags aren't the smartest franchise and I'm doing this for fun... so shove it. :p

1. 39 - Stephon Tuitt DT, Notre Dame. Tuitt can line up at DT in the 4-3 and at DE in the 3-4, which would give the Patriots some pretty nice flexibility while also filling a need. He may fall into this range after the initial run on DT's.

2. 62 - Dominique Easley 3-tech, Florida. Easley gives us another body that can line up at the 3-tech and rush the passer while still holding up moderately well against the run. He should be wearing braces on both knees so my concerns about him have been quelled. He was dominant last season before injuring his other knee and the Gators defense tailed off after that. I do have my doubts about him being available at 62, though. This is pretty much just wishful thinking. He may move up in my next mock.

3. 93 - C.J. Fiedorowicz TE, Iowa. I wasn't high on him at the beginning of the offseason, and he definitely wouldn't be my first choice at this position. That said, he has grown on me. ASJ and Niklas should be well off the board here and the team can wait on a C/G prospect to come in and make an impact. I've also loaded the team with 4th round picks in a deep draft. So, after solidifying the interior DL with the first two picks, I'm taking (IMO) the best TE left with my third rounder.

4. 105 - Jordan Tripp OLB, Montana. Tripp is the prototypical Patriot and I'll be ecastatic if we could get him. Excellent work ethic, says all the right things, is extremely bright, seems to always be around the ball, and is athletic to boot with excellent movement skills. He should be able to help with coverage over the middle while giving Collins the ability to slide down to DE to rush the passer, if needed.

5. 114 - Bryan Stork C, FSU. Big bodied center that is physical when run blocking and can also get downfield quickly to pass block. Concussion issues will drop him to this point so hopefully, if the Pats draft him here, he is done with them moving forward. Otherwise, he's a solid prospect and, if healthy, should be able to instantly upgrade upon what Wendell gave us.

5. 130 - Antone Exum SS, Va. Tech. Exum adds some much needed size at the safety position while still having range to be stout in coverage. He projects to be a SS, but also has experience at CB as well. He may need a year to get healthy, though, but is a good long term pick for the position.

6. 140 - Kevin Pierre-Louis OLB/SS, Boston College. KPL has jumped off the page more and more to me as I've studied him. He has the size to play OLB and come down to help out against TE's while having the athleticism and movement ability to play SS. At that position, he would be a Kam Chancellor type for our defense and, at his size (6'0", 232 lbs.) can come down and PUNISH opposing TE's and slot receivers.

6. 198 - Kevin Norwood WR, Alabama. Norwood would have to work hard to even crack the starting line-up (either that, or a slew of injuries would have to happen), but he is a talented receiver capable of threatening outside the numbers. That said, I still think the team needs a starting caliber WR and my next mock might feature the team taking a WR high. But, for now, I'll stick with this and see if the team has anything else up their sleeves until next month when I'll probably do another one.

7. 206 - Antwan Lowery G, Rutgers. Purely a depth move coupled with the fact that I had to take at least one Rutgers guy in the draft. This move provides some decent depth in case either (A) Connolly gets injured or (B) Stork gets injured and Connolly has to slide to center.

8. 244 - Trey Burton WR/TE/H-Back/Whatever, Florida. Not a real natural position for Burton, but he's athletically gifted and is capable of creating separation whether coming off the LOS, out of the backfield, or lined up in the slot. You can also draw up some gadget plays for him as he has some experience throwing the football as well.

This is just the first of probably three that I will do between now and the draft, so this is subject to change depending on what else the team does with trades or FA between now and the draft. That said, here goes nothing...

Remaining offseason moves:
1. Release/restructure/extend Vince Wilfork

2. Sign Maurice Jones-Drew and Shaun Phillips

Draft:

Trade 29 to Jacksonville for 39, 105, and 114. Yes, I know my math is off, but the Jags aren't the smartest franchise and I'm doing this for fun... so shove it. :p

1. 39 - Stephon Tuitt DT, Notre Dame. Tuitt can line up at DT in the 4-3 and at DE in the 3-4, which would give the Patriots some pretty nice flexibility while also filling a need. He may fall into this range after the initial run on DT's.

2. 62 - Dominique Easley 3-tech, Florida. Easley gives us another body that can line up at the 3-tech and rush the passer while still holding up moderately well against the run. He should be wearing braces on both knees so my concerns about him have been quelled. He was dominant last season before injuring his other knee and the Gators defense tailed off after that. I do have my doubts about him being available at 62, though. This is pretty much just wishful thinking. He may move up in my next mock.

3. 93 - C.J. Fiedorowicz TE, Iowa. I wasn't high on him at the beginning of the offseason, and he definitely wouldn't be my first choice at this position. That said, he has grown on me. ASJ and Niklas should be well off the board here and the team can wait on a C/G prospect to come in and make an impact. I've also loaded the team with 4th round picks in a deep draft. So, after solidifying the interior DL with the first two picks, I'm taking (IMO) the best TE left with my third rounder.

4. 105 - Jordan Tripp OLB, Montana. Tripp is the prototypical Patriot and I'll be ecastatic if we could get him. Excellent work ethic, says all the right things, is extremely bright, seems to always be around the ball, and is athletic to boot with excellent movement skills. He should be able to help with coverage over the middle while giving Collins the ability to slide down to DE to rush the passer, if needed.

5. 114 - Bryan Stork C, FSU. Big bodied center that is physical when run blocking and can also get downfield quickly to pass block. Concussion issues will drop him to this point so hopefully, if the Pats draft him here, he is done with them moving forward. Otherwise, he's a solid prospect and, if healthy, should be able to instantly upgrade upon what Wendell gave us.

5. 130 - Antone Exum SS, Va. Tech. Exum adds some much needed size at the safety position while still having range to be stout in coverage. He projects to be a SS, but also has experience at CB as well. He may need a year to get healthy, though, but is a good long term pick for the position.

6. 140 - Kevin Pierre-Louis OLB/SS, Boston College. KPL has jumped off the page more and more to me as I've studied him. He has the size to play OLB and come down to help out against TE's while having the athleticism and movement ability to play SS. At that position, he would be a Kam Chancellor type for our defense and, at his size (6'0", 232 lbs.) can come down and PUNISH opposing TE's and slot receivers.

6. 198 - Kevin Norwood WR, Alabama. Norwood would have to work hard to even crack the starting line-up (either that, or a slew of injuries would have to happen), but he is a talented receiver capable of threatening outside the numbers. That said, I still think the team needs a starting caliber WR and my next mock might feature the team taking a WR high. But, for now, I'll stick with this and see if the team has anything else up their sleeves until next month when I'll probably do another one.

7. 206 - Antwan Lowery G, Rutgers. Purely a depth move coupled with the fact that I had to take at least one Rutgers guy in the draft. This move provides some decent depth in case either (A) Connolly gets injured or (B) Stork gets injured and Connolly has to slide to center.

8. 244 - Trey Burton WR/TE/H-Back/Whatever, Florida. Not a real natural position for Burton, but he's athletically gifted and is capable of creating separation whether coming off the LOS, out of the backfield, or lined up in the slot. You can also draw up some gadget plays for him as he has some experience throwing the football as well.

A lot of similar names to my own mock. Nice job. I really wanted to put KPL into mine as well. And congrats on putting Norwood in. Very underappreciated prospect.

A lot of similar names to my own mock. Nice job. I really wanted to put KPL into mine as well. And congrats on putting Norwood in. Very underappreciated prospect.

I was in the middle of typing up my mock when you posted your's so great minds must think alike. As for Norwood, I just don't think people have been able to get a good read on him in Bama's run-first offense but he is a quality prospect. A very sharp route runner with soft hands.

A question in all honesty: what's the difference between Tripp and his teammate Brock Coyle? [The Pats worked both out recently.]

Trades
- Trade #29 to Detroit for #45 and #76
- Trade #62 to Cleveland for #83, #106, and #145
Selections
- 45-Dominique Easley, DL (#57)
- 76-Joel Bitonio, OL (#96)
- 83-Christian Kirksey, LB (#93)
- 93-C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE (#105)
- 106-Will Clarke, DL (#107)
- 130-Antonio Exum, DB (#138)
- 140-Bryan Stork, OL (#140)
- 145-Brandon Coleman, WR (#147)
- 198-Deandre Coleman, DL (#200)
- 206-Colt Lyerla, TE (#213)
- 244-Gator Hoskins, FB (#265)

2 options:

1. I stand pat at 29 and take Dominique Easley, then take OL at 62.

2. I still do the Donald trade up, and I use #140 on an OL like Trai Turner or Cameron Fleming.

Or you could just trade a pick from next year or even better 2015. I have made it my mission to get you on the "trade a future pick into the draft train" Mayo. ALL ABOARD!

That said. I will now do a full mock instead of the quick one I used last night with a few different wrinkles I have not used.

#29 - Kony Ealy - DE
-Trade next years first for a 41st + 73rd-
#41 - Stephen Tuitt - DT
-Trade your 62nd, 130th & 198th to move to 45th-
#45 - ASJ - TE
#73 - Weston Richburg - C
#93 - Jordan Tripp - OLB
#140 - Antonio Exum - SS
#244 - Trent Murphy - TE

UDFAs if possible.

Colt Lyerla - TE
Blake Annen - TE
Gator Hoskins - FB
Trey Millard - FB/RB/TE
Ben Malena - RB
Cornelius Lucas - OT
Brandon Linder - OG
Chandler Jones - WR
Quincy Enunwa - WR

Zach Moore - DE
Terrance Fede - DE
Ben Gardner - DE
Zack Kerr - DT

Here is my first mock of the year....

We trade #29 to Jacksonville for #39(2nd), #105(4th) and #179(6th).

Giving us:

2. (#39) Austin Seferian-Jenkins - TE - Washington
2. (#62) Jimmie Ward - SS - Northern Illinois
3. (#93) Marcus Smith - DE - Louisville
4. (#105) Travis Swanson - C - Arkanas
4. (#130) Jon Halapio - OG - Florida
4. (#140) Devin Street - WR - Pittsburgh
6. (#179) Tyler Starr - OLB - South Dakota
6. (#198) Marion Grice - RB - Arizona State
6. (#206) Larry Webster - DE - Bloomsburg
7. (#244) Zack Kerr- DT - Delaware

Some UDFA's
WR - Jeremy Gallon
WR - Alex Amidon (if he decides not to join Navy Seals)
QB - Jordan Lynch
RB - David Fluellen
RB - Orleans Darkwa
FB/H-Back/TE - Gator Hoskins

Dream world 101….

- Patriots trade Ryan Mallett to the Texans for picks #65 and #101.
- Patriots trade #62 to the Cleveland Browns for Alex Mack.
- Patriots sign Alex Mack to a 6-year contract worth $51M with $30M guaranteed and a $20M signing bonus (first year cap hit $5.5M).
- Patriots trade pick #29 to San Francisco 49ers for picks #56, #77, and #96.
- Patriots trade picks #130 and #198 to the Oakland Raiders for pick #107.

- 56-Dominique Easley, DL
- 65-Donte Moncrief, WR
- 77-Joel Bitonio, OL
- 93-C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE
- 96-Jordan Tripp, LB
- 101-Charles Sims, RB
- 107-Will Clarke, DL
- 140-Justin Ellis, DL
- 206-Colt Lyerla, TE
- 244-Gator Hoskins, FB

All this talk about draft contacts got me so excited I had to make a realistic mock (A better one will be out this weekend, a far better one), NO trades:
1.29. Dee Ford, DE, Auburn
2.62. Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
3.93. Kelcy Quarles, DT, SC
4.130. Prince Shembo, OLB, ND
4.140. Matt Patchan, OT, BC
6.198. Jeremy Gallon, WR, Michigan
6.206. Kenny Guiton, QB, Ohio State
7.244. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State
Very rough mock as I see in hindsight realistically wise, out of all these guys they all fill a need however I only personally love 2-3 of them, (in order) Gallon, Ford, and Shembo...a better one will be coming this weekend...also someone please clarify if BB was present for us working out Benjamin of FSU

Or you could just trade a pick from next year or even better 2015. I have made it my mission to get you on the "trade a future pick into the draft train" Mayo. ALL ABOARD!

That said. I will now do a full mock instead of the quick one I used last night with a few different wrinkles I have not used.

#29 - Kony Ealy - DE
-Trade next years first for a 41st + 73rd-
#41 - Stephen Tuitt - DT
-Trade your 62nd, 130th & 198th to move to 45th-
#45 - ASJ - TE
#73 - Weston Richburg - C
#93 - Jordan Tripp - OLB
#140 - Antonio Exum - SS
#244 - Trent Murphy - TE

UDFAs if possible.

Colt Lyerla - TE
Blake Annen - TE
Gator Hoskins - FB
Trey Millard - FB/RB/TE
Ben Malena - RB
Cornelius Lucas - OT
Brandon Linder - OG
Chandler Jones - WR
Quincy Enunwa - WR

Zach Moore - DE
Terrance Fede - DE
Ben Gardner - DE
Zack Kerr - DT

You can be damned sure that you'd have to trade our 2015 1st and 2nd Rounders to get #41 and #73. In fact, you'd probably have to trade our entire 2015 Draft for those 2 Picks, and even that might not be enough, considering how high we usually pick, and how loaded the 2014 Class is. But it's ballsy, baby!! :rocker:

And I like the Trent Murphy Tight End Conversion 7th Round Value Move. Shrewd. ;)

You can be damned sure that you'd have to trade our 2015 1st and 2nd Rounders to get #41 and #73. In fact, you'd probably have to trade our entire 2015 Draft for those 2 Picks, and even that might not be enough, considering how high we usually pick, and how loaded the 2014 Class is. But it's ballsy, baby!! :rocker:

And I like the Trent Murphy Tight End Conversion 7th Round Value Move. Shrewd. ;)

And now it won't let me edit it. : / dang nabit; I should have proof read more.

The only honorable choice left to me now is hari kari. Must regain honor!

First mock of the year

Trades:
Day 1: #29 to Jax for #37 + #105 + #114 (They move a head of Texans for Garoppolo)
Day 2:
Mallett to Texans for #33 ( 5 qbs are picked - Clowney + Mallett for Texans )
Day 3:
BB trades up to #102 for #114 + #130
BB trades #206 to Cowboys for #229 + #231

Picks:
#33 Ryan Shazier - Collins need a partner in Crime.
#37 Stephon Tuitt - Richard Seymour anno 2014
#62 Troy Niklas - ASJ would be prefect but Niklas will do.
#93 Brandon Coleman - They looking at BIG wr's and here is a freak of natur.
#102 Joel Bitonio - Logan Mankins last year, NeXT man up.
#105 Daniel McCullers - Freak of natur as NT, reminds me of Ted Washington.
#140 John Urschel - Center for the future HUGE upside.
#229 Spencer Long - Value pick with upside.
#231 Trey Millard - FB/RB Red shirt him this year and use as 3d back in 2015.
#244 Kenny Guiton - Only QB they have worked out, limited knowledge.

With this hall of upside value picks, BB goes back to he's beloveing 3-4

Tuitt as LDE - McCullers in the middle - Chandler Jones RDE
Shazier at WOLB - HT WILB - Mayo SILB - Collins SOLB

I would sign Lagarett Blount. Everyone is focusing on the passing league. Lets get back to pounding the ball.

Remember what trading Joe Montana did for the 49 er's or what trading Herschel did for the Cowboys.

Trade Tom Brady to Houston for 2014 1st, 2nd and 2015 1st.
(But Gesele has to stay, preferably at my place)

Trade Pic # 1 2014 to Cleveland for # 4 and 26. Let them get their pick of the QB litter.

Then wheel and deal picks to load up and stock up w/ OL, DL, TE, QB,WR. and other needs.

That would give us 3 1st Round, 2 2nd rounds and the rest of our pics to trade back or stay put and load up, and give us an extra 1 next year.

I know, I know who is going to be our QB? Who is going to be our QB if Brady gets hit by a car full of nuns this summer? Or gets hurt week one, then what?

I'm just trying to put more eggs in the basket to help us win and be more than one dimensional.

OK shoot away. :D

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Back