PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2014 Mock draft Thread.

The more I look at this draft the more I like trading back.

2 ASJ TE Wash
3 Christian Jones LB FSU
3 Phillip Gaines CB Rice
4 Justin Ellis DT LA Tech
5 Aaron Lynch DE SFU
5 Cody Latimer WR IND
5 Michael Campanaro WR WF
6 John Urschel OG PSU
6 Gabe Ikard C OK
7 Jake Murphy TE UT

vs

1 RaShede Hageman DT MN
2 Christian Jones LB FSU
3 Phillip Gaines CB Rice
4 Justin Ellis DT LA Tech
6 John Urschel OG PSU
6 Gabe Ikard C OK
7 Jake Murphy TE UT

It just fills so many more needs and the talent difference isn't that great at the top end. You give up Hageman but get ASJ, Lynch, Latimer and Campanaro while drafting Jones just a little later.

Mack would probably cost too much to get. The Pats are going to need two new OL starters next year with Wendell being the second lowest rated center in the league and Connolly's salary too expensive. Besides Mock, there really isn't a lot of good Free Agents available. Dietrich-Smith, who plays both Guard and Center along with De La Puente are both 28 and solid players but will command high salaries.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats try to move out of the first round for a 2nd and fifth, trade Mallet for a 2nd and finally end up with 3 second round picks, third, fourth and fifth to have 6 total picks and use them to pick 2 OL in the top four rounds. If they do that, the OL can be set for a long time.

Mack would cost too much in money and trades. The Pats are going to need two new OL starters next year with Wendell being the second lowest rated center in the league and Connolly's salary too expensive. Besides Mock, there really isn't a lot of good Free Agents available. Dietrich-Smith, who plays both Guard and Center along with De La Puente are both 28 and solid players but will command high salaries.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats try to move out of the first round, trade Mallet and end up with 2 second round picks, two third and two fourth have 6 total picks and use them to pick 2 OL in the top four rounds. If they do that, the OL can be set for a long time.
Why would mack cost picks? Just give him a deal the Browns don't want to match.

Why would mack cost picks? Just give him a deal the Browns don't want to match.

He wouldn't.. The transition tag only gives you the right to match. There is no compensation if you don't.

My Mistake. The two picks are for Non-exclusive franchise players not Transition tags. Also means TJ Ward is a free agent.

It should also be noted that unless I'm mistaken ~ and any correction on this would be greatly appreciated :) ~ the Draft Pick Compensation for Free Agents, whether it's 2 1st Rounders, nothing at all, or something in between for, say, RFA's, is always negotiable: If Mack were franchised and thus nominally came with 2 1st Rounders as'is price tag, the Patriots and Browns could always come to an accommodation.

Conversely, being as he comes scott-free, so to speak, the Patriots, rather than subject themselves to uncertainty coupled with a state of Limbo, could conceivably come to an understanding with the Browns before putting pen to paper with young Brother Mack. The Wes Welker signing, as I recall, was an excellent example of the Patriots and the Fish working together to come up with a mutually beneficial Arrangement. :)

In light of yesterday's news about Sam Shields, I wondered whether, if Talib proves to be too expensive, it might be worth attacking the DL in FA and other needs in the draft. This mock is merely a reflection of those ponderings. It also takes into account the rumours about Ryan Mallett and the Texans and I included a trade (in part borrowed from a Deus idea) as part of the mock.

----------------

1. Talib proves to be too expensive and signs elsewhere. Edelman doesn’t return either.

2. Blount is re-signed. Wendell is re-signed. There’s a lot to be said for cohesion on the OL.

3. Sign Tyson Jackson - Ideal BB size for a 3-4 DE or DT. Isn’t a major threat to the QB, although he has 7 sacks the last two years, but is one of the best against the run - a significant weakness last year. Tommy Kelly, Armond Armstead and Chris Jones flesh out the remaining non NT interior DL positions and add pass rush.

4. Sign Corey Wootton - Again ideal BB size and length. Shouldn’t be too expensive but is an ideal backup DE and has had reps as an interior pass rusher too. Everson Griffen is another possibility for this spot.

5. Trade Ryan Mallett to the Houston Texans for a swap of second and third round picks and the swap the Texans 5th rounder for our first 6th.

#29 ***Trade***

Dallas trade #47, 78 for Patriots’ #29. Cowboys trade up for Dee Ford to compliment their selection of Timmy Jernigan in the first round.

#33 Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech

I have to believe that BB is a fan of Fullers’ aggressiveness and ability in the run game. He also has a great feel for where the ball is in the passing game. Can play CB on the outside, in the nickel or as a safety up on the line.

#47 (from Dallas) Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois

Made my feelings clear on what I think of Jimmie elsewhere and won’t re-hash it. suffice it to say, Fuller and Ward make for a stable long-term defensive backfield along with Dennard, McCourty, Harmon and Ryan.

#65 Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame

Insurance and upside against further Gronk injuries, at the very least, Niklas is a tremendous inline blocker who can attack the seams and give us a greater red zone threat. Still prefer ASJ but fancied a change for this mock.

#78 (from Dallas) Joel Bitonio, OL, Nevada

Whether he helps at RG or OC in the short or long-term, Bitonio is Mankins-esque both in his combine measurables and in the way he plays. A really good BB fit.

#126 Jordan Tripp, OLB, Montana.

Was between him and Christian Jones. I really like the Urlacher comp for Tripp. He’s not there yet but some added bulk and NFL coaching on top of his outstanding athleticism could lead to some serious upside. Really getting on board with this pick.

#129 (from HOU) ***Trade***

Jacksonville trade #138 and #163 for our 129

#138 (From JAX) Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech

A hail mary pass but one, that it it pays off at QB or TE would be an outstanding pick. His upside is the next Cam Newton, Gronk or Jimmy Graham athletically. Worth the risk.

#163 (From JAX) Michael Campanaro, WR, Wake Forest

The next smurf on the production line. Edelman like numbers at his pro day and tremendous productivity at college.

#190 ***Trade***

SF has three consecutive picks immediately before our seventh rounder. We trade our remaining 6th rounder for those three picks.

COMP Tyler Starr, OLB, S Dakota

BB loves his 3-cones and Starr broke the record for best 3-cone for a prospect over 240lbs at the combine. This is a special team pickup predominantly.

#218 (From SF) Zach Kerr, DT, Delaware

Outstanding quickness for a NT, very good swim move and breaks down in space well. Kerr is underrated as far as I’m concerned and well worth developing as a future NT.

#219 (From SF) Ben Malena, RB, Texas A&M

Showcased 4.4 speed at his pro-day and we are reportedly shown significant interest. Looks to be an interesting Vereen backup.

#220 (From SF) Brock Vereen, S, Minnesota

Really does have the feel of a Patriots pick in terms of athleticism and role. Someone to threaten Tavon Wilson’s role as #4 safety.

#221 Kenny Guiton, QB, Ohio State.

Has the smarts, athleticism and arm to be a genuine potential NFL backup. He and Logan Thomas will battle it out in camp to be Brady’s primary backup. Guiton has the character and intelligence to be someone who sticks on the roster in some capacity.

UDFA Blake Annen, TE, Cincinnati

a TE that runs 4.4. worth bringing in to camp. We brought two in from the Bearcats last year so why not go their again this.

UDFA Albert Wilson, WR, Georgia State

Intriguing returner and Josh Boyce like receiver. This one's for you Sircole.

UDFA Joe Clancy, QB, Merrimanck

Another who has intriguing upside. Worth a spot in camp.

UDFA Terrence Fede, DE, Marist

Really intriguing little known pass rushing prospect. likely to end up with a draft able grade. Has draft able size (6-4, 278) and athleticism (7.02 3-cone). A name worth remembering.

Just a note. I tried for realism with the Jackson/Wootton signings. they aren't necessarily my first choices but they do seem like likely choices.

More on Terrence Fede.

Terrence Fede, who was given a 7th-round grade by scouts entering the season, measured 6040/278lbs then ran in the mid-to-high 4.7s in the forty. I'm told during training Fede was running in the high 4.6s. His other marks included 25 reps on the bench, 9-11 in the broad, 4.4s short shuttle and a 7.02 three cone. Afterwards, I'm told Fede looked impressive in both linebacker and defensive end drills. Keep him on your radar.

NFL Prospect (Terrence Fede Marist College Highlights) - YouTube

Not a speed rusher. Reminds me of Chandler Jones in the way he tries to set up the O lineman. His athletic numbers are very similar to Jones too.

Really like this play:

NFL Prospect (Terrence Fede Marist College Highlights) - YouTube

Very nice effort. I enjoyed your mock. I don't think we will draft 12 players. But if our draft looks close to this, I'd be pretty happy. It's just that BB drafts never look how the fans imagine them! LOL

But yeah it addresses some key issues, mainly secondary, followed by TE, an interior OL, and another athletic linebacker. There's even a DL and WR later too. ;-) The Pats always have needs. I've been interested in Fuller, and I think if Talib leaves, he might be the guy. I wouldn't mind Ward either as our safety position needs upgrading. BB cut Gregory for a reason- the guy just wasn't good enough.

I have to believe that BB is a fan of Fullers’ aggressiveness and ability in the run game. He also has a great feel for where the ball is in the passing game. Can play CB on the outside, in the nickel or as a safety up on the line.

Made my feelings clear on what I think of Jimmie elsewhere and won’t re-hash it. suffice it to say, Fuller and Ward make for a stable long-term defensive backfield along with Dennard, McCourty, Harmon and Ryan.

Insurance and upside against further Gronk injuries, at the very least, Niklas is a tremendous inline blocker who can attack the seams and give us a greater red zone threat. Still prefer ASJ but fancied a change for this mock.

Whether he helps at RG or OC in the short or long-term, Bitonio is Mankins-esque both in his combine measurables and in the way he plays. A really good BB fit.

Was between him and Christian Jones. I really like the Urlacher comp for Tripp. He’s not there yet but some added bulk and NFL coaching on top of his outstanding athleticism could lead to some serious upside. Really getting on board with this pick.

A hail mary pass but one, that it it pays off at QB or TE would be an outstanding pick. His upside is the next Cam Newton, Gronk or Jimmy Graham athletically. Worth the risk.

Really like the mock Manx. I prefer Verrett to Fuller but thats just obviously personal preference. I also like Jaylen Watkins if we miss out on Jimmie Ward.

Would have very few complaints if the draft shook out that way. I'd perhaps like a better outside WR but thats just nitpicking.

Love the Malena and Vereen picks.

If we could pick up say Tyson Jackson/Houston and Allen/Tuck then this draft we would have really strengthened the team. The loss of Talib would hurt but I don't think we can justify $40m to a guy who hasn't completed a full nfl season in his career.

Very nice effort. I enjoyed your mock. I don't think we will draft 12 players. But if our draft looks close to this, I'd be pretty happy. It's just that BB drafts never look how the fans imagine them! LOL

But yeah it addresses some key issues, mainly secondary, followed by TE, an interior OL, and another athletic linebacker. There's even a DL and WR later too. ;-) The Pats always have needs. I've been interested in Fuller, and I think if Talib leaves, he might be the guy. I wouldn't mind Ward either as our safety position needs upgrading. BB cut Gregory for a reason- the guy just wasn't good enough.

I agree with you about the number of draft picks but I decided to have a bit of fun with this one. Those three seventh round SF picks interested me.

In light of yesterday's news about Sam Shields, I wondered whether, if Talib proves to be too expensive, it might be worth attacking the DL in FA and other needs in the draft. This mock is merely a reflection of those ponderings. It also takes into account the rumours about Ryan Mallett and the Texans and I included a trade (in part borrowed from a Deus idea) as part of the mock.

----------------

1. Talib proves to be too expensive and signs elsewhere. Edelman doesn’t return either.

2. Blount is re-signed. Wendell is re-signed. There’s a lot to be said for cohesion on the OL.

3. Sign Tyson Jackson - Ideal BB size for a 3-4 DE or DT. Isn’t a major threat to the QB, although he has 7 sacks the last two years, but is one of the best against the run - a significant weakness last year. Tommy Kelly, Armond Armstead and Chris Jones flesh out the remaining non NT interior DL positions and add pass rush.

4. Sign Corey Wootton - Again ideal BB size and length. Shouldn’t be too expensive but is an ideal backup DE and has had reps as an interior pass rusher too. Everson Griffen is another possibility for this spot.

5. Trade Ryan Mallett to the Houston Texans for a swap of second and third round picks and the swap the Texans 5th rounder for our first 6th.

#29 ***Trade***

Dallas trade #47, 78 for Patriots’ #29. Cowboys trade up for Dee Ford to compliment their selection of Timmy Jernigan in the first round.

#163 (From JAX) Michael Campanaro, WR, Wake Forest

The next smurf on the production line. Edelman like numbers at his pro day and tremendous productivity at college.

#190 ***Trade***

SF has three consecutive picks immediately before our seventh rounder. We trade our remaining 6th rounder for those three picks.

COMP Tyler Starr, OLB, S Dakota

BB loves his 3-cones and Starr broke the record for best 3-cone for a prospect over 240lbs at the combine. This is a special team pickup predominantly.

#218 (From SF) Zach Kerr, DT, Delaware

Outstanding quickness for a NT, very good swim move and breaks down in space well. Kerr is underrated as far as I’m concerned and well worth developing as a future NT.

#219 (From SF) Ben Malena, RB, Texas A&M

Showcased 4.4 speed at his pro-day and we are reportedly shown significant interest. Looks to be an interesting Vereen backup.

#220 (From SF) Brock Vereen, S, Minnesota

Really does have the feel of a Patriots pick in terms of athleticism and role. Someone to threaten Tavon Wilson’s role as #4 safety.

#221 Kenny Guiton, QB, Ohio State.

Has the smarts, athleticism and arm to be a genuine potential NFL backup. He and Logan Thomas will battle it out in camp to be Brady’s primary backup. Guiton has the character and intelligence to be someone who sticks on the roster in some capacity.

UDFA Blake Annen, TE, Cincinnati

a TE that runs 4.4. worth bringing in to camp. We brought two in from the Bearcats last year so why not go their again this.

UDFA Joe Clancy, QB, Merrimanck

Another who has intriguing upside. Worth a spot in camp.

UDFA Terrence Fede, DE, Marist

Really intriguing little known pass rushing prospect. likely to end up with a draft able grade. Has draft able size (6-4, 278) and athleticism (7.02 3-cone). A name worth remembering.

Just a note. I tried for realism with the Jackson/Wootton signings. they aren't necessarily my first choices but they do seem like likely choices.

Great job Manx, I would be very pleased to see something like this happen. In particular, I really like the trade scenarios you've come up with. A couple of days ago I would have quibbled over the Mallett scenario, but hopefully where there is smoke there is fire. My only other "cavil" would be the Logan Thomas pick. I get that he is a great athlete (especially for a QB) but just am not seeing him as great value at #138 - too much of a project I think no matter where you put him. I'd prefer to see them address center there especially if Richburg or Martin (which I doubt), or Swanson or Stork (which I think are somewhat realistic for #138) are available, and for the QB spot go with one of the current crop of veteran FA to combine with Guiton (I really like him in the spot you have him) and Clancy (whom I don't know about at all). I think there will be some FA QBs out there that are viable options for the Pats backup, but haven't sorted out whom I think would fit best. My only other question here is, in light of your comments regarding Tyson Jackson, what is your scenario for Wilfork?

Wow, this is probably the closest that I will ever see Albert Wilson/GSU name associated with the patriots, but I will take it.

Seriously, I really like this mock because it fulfills many personnel issues for us ---safety, TE, backup for Vereen, backup QB, and a versatile lineman with the ability to play center.

I really like the Zach Kerr pick (#218 (From SF) Zach Kerr, DT, Delaware), but do you think he will last that long in the draft?

Great job Manx, I would be very pleased to see something like this happen. In particular, I really like the trade scenarios you've come up with. A couple of days ago I would have quibbled over the Mallett scenario, but hopefully where there is smoke there is fire. My only other "cavil" would be the Logan Thomas pick. I get that he is a great athlete (especially for a QB) but just am not seeing him as great value at #138 - too much of a project I think no matter where you put him. I'd prefer to see them address center there especially if Richburg or Martin (which I doubt), or Swanson or Stork (which I think are somewhat realistic for #138) are available, and for the QB spot go with one of the current crop of veteran FA to combine with Guiton (I really like him in the spot you have him) and Clancy (whom I don't know about at all). I think there will be some FA QBs out there that are viable options for the Pats backup, but haven't sorted out whom I think would fit best. My only other question here is, in light of your comments regarding Tyson Jackson, what is your scenario for Wilfork?

Thanks.

In reply to your bolded, Jackson, Wilfork, Kelly, Jones, Siliga, Kerr is probably one too many when it comes to the final 53. That could a cut for Wilfork or Kelly or they could keep Wilfork and put Kerr on the PS.

As for Logan Thomas, BB has taken risks for upside at QB in the third round twice before, Mallett and O'Connell and I don't think he'll last until the seventh round as CBS are projecting him because there's too much potential there so I factored both those elements in to where I positioned him.

Wow, this is probably the closest that I will ever see Albert Wilson/GSU name associated with the patriots, but I will take it.

Seriously, I really like this mock because it fulfills many personnel issues for us ---safety, TE, backup for Vereen, backup QB, and a versatile lineman with the ability to play center.

I really like the Zach Kerr pick (#218 (From SF) Zach Kerr, DT, Delaware), but do you think he will last that long in the draft?

1. haha. thought you might like that.

2. I went with CBS's rank and I was surprised to see them rank him as a 7th to undrafted prospect. He's better than that.

It should also be noted that unless I'm mistaken ~ and any correction on this would be greatly appreciated :) ~ the Draft Pick Compensation for Free Agents, whether it's 2 1st Rounders, nothing at all, or something in between for, say, RFA's, is always negotiable: If Mack were franchised and thus nominally came with 2 1st Rounders as'is price tag, the Patriots and Browns could always come to an accommodation.

Grid: It depends on how you do it.

As long as both teams are theoretically willing to do a tag-and-trade, yes, teams can agree to anything they want (e.g., Tebucky Jones went from two firsts under the franchise tag to a 3, a 5, and a 7).

OTOH, if you sign the player to an offer sheet, and the old team declines to match, there is no say in the matter; you must fork over the required picks.

As long as both teams are theoretically willing to do a tag-and-trade, yes, teams can agree to anything they want (e.g., Tebucky Jones went from two firsts under the franchise tag to a 3, a 5, and a 7).

OTOH, if you sign the player to an offer sheet, and the old team declines to match, there is no say in the matter; you must fork over the required picks.

Except with a transition tag, if they eclipse to match, you owe nothing.

Except with a transition tag, if they eclipse to match, you owe nothing.

Well, the required picks can be none at all. ;)

Conversely, being as he comes scott-free, so to speak, the Patriots, rather than subject themselves to uncertainty coupled with a state of Limbo, could conceivably come to an understanding with the Browns before putting pen to paper with young Brother Mack. The Wes Welker signing, as I recall, was an excellent example of the Patriots and the Fish working together to come up with a mutually beneficial Arrangement. :)

Of course: That's why I phrased it "nominal" & "before putting pen to paper", but thanks!!

I'll explain my rationale a little bit. First, you want to spend high draft picks on expensive positions where there is a big droppoff in talent in later rounds, ie CB, OT possibly WR. You don't want to spend it on a position you can fill in FA with a cheap contract, ie TE, OG (used to be).

So I have the pats filling TEs and DL with FAs. Which means they'll be drafting a lot of CBs and OL (in my view).

Notable FAs - Edelman, Kevin Williams or Randy Starks, Mack, Scott Chandler, Sydney Rice (possibly), Dustin Keller - cost about 20M FY cap hit.

1. Kyle Fuller - Last of the good CBs or that is the thinking. He could end up drafting the TCU Verett. That would cause heads to explode a bit. Roby is another top CB they could pick. As long as they think they can coach him up.

2. Davante Adams or Jordan Matthews WR or Donte Moncrief. Kind of like Dobson except can catch. Less possible if Rice signed. Kyle van Noy would be another direction.

3. (Mallett pick!) - trade down for late 3rd and 4th
3a. Joel Bitonio - G/T/C
3b. Geoffrey Pagan DT / Brent Urban DE/DT
4a. Dontae Johson - CB/S
4b. Jordan Tripp - OLB
5. Craig Loston - S LSU
6a. Isiah Crowell - RB
6b. Trai Turner - G LSU / Kevin Bodine C UNC
7. Zach Kerr - DT

Other possibilities: EJ Gaines CB 4th - replace pricey Arrington eventually
TJ Jones WR - Notre Dame - WR 4th/5th - good quickness, not great size
Fiedorowitz TE 3rd/4th - good blocker, great hands, not very nimble in the open field or quick
Terrance Brooks CB/S - FSU 3rd

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back