PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2014 Mock draft Thread.

A straight up first for Mallett is a little ambitious I fear. I'd consider Hageman-Amaro-Swanson a win though.

Think about this scenario. Browns wanted Manziel, Raiders get him before them. Now, there is a bidding war between Texans and Browns for Mallett since Texans took Clowney with #1. Browns have 2 first rounders, Browns win bidding war by trading Mallett for #26.

Think about this scenario. Browns wanted Manziel, Raiders get him before them. Now, there is a bidding war between Texans and Browns for Mallett since Texans took Clowney with #1. Browns have 2 first rounders, Browns win bidding war by trading Mallett for #26.

Firstly I don't see the raiders trading up for Manziel (too many holes) and I do think that the Browns will trade up for Manziel. Secondly, I'm just not sure that Mallett will be all that sought after. If I was a GM, I'd probably just draft Mettenberger instead of trading a high pick for Mallett. Both have similar upside, Mallett hasn't shown himself to be that much better than Mettenberger and Mettenberger will be much cheaper over the next four years. I think a medium pick this year and an optional pick next year is the best we can hope for.

Firstly I don't see the raiders trading up for Manziel (too many holes) and I do think that the Browns will trade up for Manziel. Secondly, I'm just not sure that Mallett will be all that sought after. If I was a GM, I'd probably just draft Mettenberger instead of trading a high pick for Mallett. Both have similar upside, Mallett hasn't shown himself to be that much better than Mettenberger and Mettenberger will be much cheaper over the next four years. I think a medium pick this year and an optional pick next year is the best we can hope for.

I think the Patriots will want at least a 2nd rounder for him. There is speculation that the Texans and Patriots already have a trade plan...Mallett for #33. Im just trying different scenarios.

I think the Patriots will want at least a 2nd rounder for him. There is speculation that the Texans and Patriots already have a trade plan...Mallett for #33. Im just trying different scenarios.

No, that's fine, it's your mock, and any mock that provokes discussion is an interesting one.

I would trade Mallet for a #33 but don't think they could get any higher and then the Pats could draft a QB like Bryn Renner of North Carolina in 6th round. Imagine the Pats having #29, #33 and #62 which can help fix weaknesses quickly.

No, that's fine, it's your mock, and any mock that provokes discussion is an interesting one.

Well, since that's the case:

- Mallett to Cleveland for #4 overall! :p

- And while we're at it, Steve Gregory and Dan Connolly each for a 2nd round pick. :eek:

- Trade #4 to Minnesota for #8 and #40
- Trade #8 to Chicago for #14 and 51
- Trade #40 and 51 to Arizona for #20
14. Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina. Here's your TE, Manx.
20. Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville.
29. Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh.
2a (for Gregory). Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio St., Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU or Christian Jones, LB, Florida St..
2b (for Connolly). Marcus Smith, DE/OLB, Louisville.
62. Weston Richburg, OC, Colorado St.
93. Aaron Lynch, DE, USF.
4. Antone Exum, DB, Virginia Tech.
- Trade 6a and 6b for a late 5th round pick.
5. Brandon Thomas, OG, Clemson.
6 (comp). Trey Millard, FB/H-Back, Oklahoma or Trey Bruton, H-Back, Florida.
7. Colt Lyerla, TE, Oregon.

Now, time to find those trade partners ...

Feedback appreciated as always –

#29-Calvin Pryor
#33-RaShede Hageman*
#62-Austin Seferian-Jenkins
#93-Dakota Dozier
#126-Pierre Desir
#182-Justin Ellis
#190-Aaron Lynch
#TBD-Trey Burton
#229-Chris Boyd

*Mallett plus a 2015 conditional pick to Houston for #33.

Well, since that's the case:

- Mallett to Cleveland for #4 overall! :p

- And while we're at it, Steve Gregory and Dan Connolly each for a 2nd round pick. :eek:

- Trade #4 to Minnesota for #8 and #40
- Trade #8 to Chicago for #14 and 51
- Trade #40 and 51 to Arizona for #20
14. Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina. Here's your TE, Manx.
20. Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville.
29. Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh.
2a (for Gregory). Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio St., Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU or Christian Jones, LB, Florida St..
2b (for Connolly). Marcus Smith, DE/OLB, Louisville.
62. Weston Richburg, OC, Colorado St.
93. Aaron Lynch, DE, USF.
4. Antone Exum, DB, Virginia Tech.
- Trade 6a and 6b for a late 5th round pick.
5. Brandon Thomas, OG, Clemson.
6 (comp). Trey Millard, FB/H-Back, Oklahoma or Trey Bruton, H-Back, Florida.
7. Colt Lyerla, TE, Oregon.

Now, time to find those trade partners ...

I know this was all fun and hypothetical, and I love what you did in getting a lot of needed upgrades for the defense and the tight end position, but just another fun hypothetical question, if we're at number 4 and if a quarterback goes number 1 and 3 and if the offensive tackle goes number 2, with Clowney sitting there for us, wouldn't he be too good to pass up or would you still trade back and get more quality players like Ebron, Pryor and Donald? Tough decision because Clowney has just so much potential.

Feedback appreciated as always –

#29-Calvin Pryor
#33-RaShede Hageman*
#62-Austin Seferian-Jenkins
#93-Dakota Dozier
#126-Pierre Desir
#182-Justin Ellis
#190-Aaron Lynch
#TBD-Trey Burton
#229-Chris Boyd

*Mallett plus a 2015 conditional pick to Houston for #33.

Your dreams are beautiful dreams, my friend.

Nightmare Scenario Mock

NY Jets

Sign

Emmanuel Sanders

Draft

#18 Eric Ebron
#49 Jimmie Ward
#69 Jeremy Hill
#80 Brandon Coleman (or even worse, Donte Moncrief)
#111 Demarcus Lawrence
#142 Logan Thomas (just in case he makes good)
#179 Aaron Murray (just in case he doesn't)

That has the potential to be a turnaround draft if everything hit.

I know this was all fun and hypothetical, and I love what you did in getting a lot of needed upgrades for the defense and the tight end position, but just another fun hypothetical question, if we're at number 4 and if a quarterback goes number 1 and 3 and if the offensive tackle goes number 2, with Clowney sitting there for us, wouldn't he be too good to pass up or would you still trade back and get more quality players like Ebron, Pryor and Donald? Tough decision because Clowney has just so much potential.

I take the trade back every time. But I get more for the trade if Clowney's still on the board. Say, a 2015 1st thrown in as well. :D Then I'll target Shawne Oakman in 2015.

Nightmare Scenario Mock

NY Jets

Sign

Emmanuel Sanders

Draft

#18 Eric Ebron
#49 Jimmie Ward
#69 Jeremy Hill
#111 Demarcus Lawrence

Rex would have a coronary if the Jets took that many offensive players at the top of the draft.

Two thoughts

1. If Clowney is there, take him, he has the potential to be a future great.

2. However, if it's possible to get Eric Ebron and a future first, then that would be very tempting and perhaps optimal.

NB I know what Mayo is going to say (hint: he's not a Clowney fan).

Edit: Told you :)

Only because Julian Edelman is naked in every one ;)

:lol:

I am actually not that big of an Edelman fan, I am just giving credit where credit is due. I prefer defensive players in general but I am the biggest of freak athletic type players. Slot receivers are important to this teams offense so I take an interest in them, but I much prefer an outside receiver who is dynamic and rare.

Two thoughts

1. If Clowney is there, take him, he has the potential to be a future great.

2. However, if it's possible to get Eric Ebron and a future first, then that would be very tempting and perhaps optimal.

NB I know what Mayo is going to say (hint: he's not a Clowney fan).

Edit: Told you :)

IMO, the three most talented players in this draft are Clowney, Greg Robinson, and Sammie Watkins. With that in mind, I'd never take a WR in the top 5 of the draft.

I think Greg Robinson and Clowney are both freakish prospects with HOF upside. Robinson is my highest rated prospect since Andrew Luck. And there's no doubting Clowney's physical ability. It's tremendous. No question. But so much more goes into being successful, and I'm somewhat suspicious of guys like Clowney who have gotten by on physical domination for their entire lives. In addition, with injuries and depth playing such an important role in the NFL, I'd generally opt for getting 2 (or more) potential studs for one any day. Eric Ebron and Calvin Pryor both have the skill set to be extremely successful in the NFL, and if you factored in a 2015 1st, it would be a no-brainer to me.

But I will admit, I had to take a deep breath before pulling the trigger.

IMO, the three most talented players in this draft are Clowney, Greg Robinson, and Sammie Watkins. With that in mind, I'd never take a WR in the top 5 of the draft.

I think Greg Robinson and Clowney are both freakish prospects with HOF upside. Robinson is my highest rarest prospect since Andrew Luck. And there's no doubting Clowney's physical ability. It's tremendous. No question. But so much more goes into being successful, and I'm somewhat suspicious of guys like Clowney who have gotten by on physical domination for their entire lives. In addition, with injuries and depth playing such an important role in the NFL, I'd generally opt for getting 2 (or more) potential studs for one any day. Eric Ebron and Calvin Pryor both have the skill set to be extremely successful in the NFL, and if you factored in a 2015 1st, it would be a no-brainer to me.

But I will admit, I had to take a deep breath before pulling the trigger.

I am a big fan of Watkins but I'm putting Mike Evans ahead of him (unless he runs really slowly). Tough call though.

Nightmare Scenario Mock

NY Jets

Sign

Emmanuel Sanders

Draft

#18 Eric Ebron
#49 Jimmie Ward
#69 Jeremy Hill
#111 Demarcus Lawrence

Please.. Rex will **** it up somehow

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back