Terry Bradshaw mentions about DFG in his book

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenepatsrule

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Mods please feel free to merge

I found this on redditt
http://books.google.com/books?id=wuWJhkUqRKEC&lpg=PA58&vq=doctor&pg=PA67#v=onepage&q=doctor&f=true

Most fans don’t know it, but before the game we would doctor the footballs that would be used. Until the season of 2000 it was up to the home team to provide twenty-four game balls to the officials for each game. A brand-new NFL football straight from the factory is not easy to throw or catch. It’s rock hard and very slippery. So in the privacy of the locker room before the game, players would take the footballs and rub them and scrub them to remove the glaze, or deflate them, then pump them up with air real big to stretch the leather. On some teams the kickers would put them through a cycle in the dryer. Some teams did this, but naturally not the Steelers, because we were righteous folk who would never stretch the rules, and when these other teams—not the Steelers—were finished, they would put them back in the plastic wrapping and right back in the box. Some teams—who were not the Steelers—after the officials had checked and approved the game balls, would let out a couple of pound of air to make it easier for the quarterback to grip it. A little less air would make the ball spongier. It was what might be called a perceived advantage-both teams played with the same ball.

it does sound like this is something that every team does and the patriots were the dumb asses who got caught

it does sound like this is something that every team does and the patriots were the dumb asses who got caught

I wouldnt say the Patriots are the dumbasses who got caught. I would say the Colts are the little *****es that snitched. Snitched on something everyone does because they got sick and tired of being beat up on . If I was a player for the Colts or Pagano, Id be very embarrased.

I think long term the entire debacle will hurt the Colts more than anyone else because it will most probably lead to rule changes that will affect the preparation of all teams. I doubt that anyone will be happy with that.

I wouldnt say the Patriots are the dumbasses who got caught. I would say the Colts are the little *****es that snitched. Snitched on something everyone does because they got sick and tired of being beat up on . If I was a player for the Colts or Pagano, Id be very embarrased.

I've said it before, but I'll maintain that the Colt's inept D won't have much experience handling footballs. So for it to feel "different", it merely has to feel like something other than what they pick up in practice. Not ready to say Pats are culpable, but I will say that when the Pats win, they credit the team that beat them, and place the blame on themselves. And this is consistent throughout the team.

The Colts have players calling this a non-story, all the way to Hasselbeck (so I'm told) saying Brady should be suspended. No consistency, and at least some of them have embarrassed themselves with this petty **** after getting their asses handed to them again. I'd be ashamed if I had anything to do with the Colts right now, and the disappointing thing is, at least some of their players have the integrity to stand against all this BS.

Hell, think back to the Superbowl losses. Did you see anyone on the Patriot's saying the Giants were a garbage team that just got hot before they got lucky, and in fact arguably more lucky than any team in the history of the Superbowl? No, and that would be both true and what everyone was thinking. Pats always take the high road, Indy took the low one.

Last edited:
Wow.

Please get this on ESPN somehow.

I've said it before, but I'll maintain that the Colt's inept D won't have much experience handling footballs. So for it to feel "different", it merely has to feel like something other than what they pick up in practice. Not ready to say Pats are culpable, but I will say that when the Pats win, they credit the team that beat them, and place the blame on themselves. And this is consistent throughout the team.

The Colts have players calling this a non-story, all the way to Hasselbeck (so I'm told) saying Brady should be suspended. No consistency, and at least some of them have embarrassed themselves with this petty **** after getting their asses handed to them again. I'd be ashamed if I had anything to do with the Colts right now, and the disappointing thing is, at least some of their players have the integrity to stand against all this BS.

Hell, think back to the Superbowl losses. Did you see anyone on the Patriot's saying the Giants were a garbage team that just got hot before they got lucky, and in fact arguably more lucky than any team in the history of the Superbowl? No, and that would be both true and what everyone was thinking. Pats always take the high road, Indy took the low one.

What bothers me the most is that we never defend ourselves, never make a counter argument. As an organization you have all if these ex players and coaches saying how big of a non-issue it is, if people blow it up bigger, make them pay. Call them out for their outlandish claims that have no proof.

Mods please feel free to merge

I found this on redditt
That's very useful. Did you think of sending it to Reese? I guess the only "spoil sport" question is whether today's rules regarding the handling of game balls were in place back in Bradshaw's day.

The only reason the Pats would be punished disproportionately is because of Spygate. Without Spygate, this would possibly never have come to light and, if it had, would have resulted in a "Boys will be boys" slap on the wrist from the NFL. With Spygate, the sky is probably the limit on the penalties that will be handed down.

Last edited:
Wow.

Please get this on ESPN somehow.

If it's about the players(QB receivers etc...) it becomes to innocent, they will run with the "BB is a scumbag skirting the rules" story line 10 times out of 10.

That's very useful. Did you think of sending it to Reese? I guess the only "spoil sport" question is whether today's rules regarding the handling of game balls were in place back in Bradshaw's day.

The only reason the Pats would be punished disproportionately is because of Spygate. Without Spygate, this would possibly never have come to light and, if it had, would have resulted in a "Boys will be boys" slap on the wrist from the NFL. With Spygate, the sky is probably the limit on the penalties that will be handed down.

If Spygate plays any role in the punishment for this (alleged) offense, shame on the NFL. Michael Holley brought up a good point on WEEI: Ndamakong Suh wasn't treated as a repeat offender after two years of being "clean". It's been almost 8 years since Spygate. Probation is up, this has to be ruled a separate incident.

Quarterbacks are picky about the "feel" of the football. Every QB has his preferences.

Insisting that Belichick orchestrated this, though, is a stretch.

The equipment manager probably knew that Brady liked a softer football and either made a very bad decision or (worst case) did what Tom Brady asked him to do, and what many other QBs apparently ask their equipment manager to do.

That others do it doesn't make it right, and doesn't mean that those responsible should not be punished. It does make it a bit less shocking.

I'm sure that the NFL would have loved to have straightened this out behind closed doors, just as they do the dozens of fair play complaints against non-Patriots that are made to the league office every year.

This one involved the Patriots though, so a Colts official, likely going by the name of Jim Irsay, gleefully contacted Kravitz and the molehill instantly became Mt. Everest.

Last edited:

No way, I totally disagree. If Camera gate never happened this would be a ******** story of epic proportions.....not that it isn't now, but with nothing for haters to hang their hats on for the last 13 yrs. Could you imagine? I think my head would explode!

No, the thought never crossed my mind, If anyone wants to send it to Reese they are more than welcome to do so.
You make a good point. It's not up to us fans, but it's up to the Patriots themselves to defend themselves and hopefully do a better job of it than they did seven years ago.

from what I understand just about every QB in the NFL does something to the ball to grip it a little better that's why Peyton and Brady went to the NFL a few years back the Ravens and colts know this so they blew the whistle on the pats cause they are just sore losers

This is so blown out of proportion, the only people that haven't realized it yet are the rabid media and our supposed "fans".

The story was blown out of proportion, I thought it would be a dead issue Monday. However, the story gets cycled and recycled on every major news channel and BAM! The public is interested. Now the public or Patriot-hating fanbases are calling for blood. With "Spygate" a non-issue, but chumps like Steeler fans and played out players on ESPN, felt like the Pats got away with murder, the NFL covered it up and didn't give the Pats suitable punishment for the crime, especially compared to Sean Payton. Now they want to see what Goodell is gonna do now that the Patriots balls are inflated. I guess that means the Pats are in hot water. And now what started as blown out of proportion and still is blown out of it, is now a serious matter for the NFL to take care of before SB week, I hope. Hopefully it is nothing more than the NFL adding do not store your balls in rooms over 80 degrees or something, adjustments to the rule book.

It does not matter who told the ball boy to do it, if TB did it or id BB had his hand in it. It broke a rule and more than likely it will result in a fine and suspension due to being a repeat offender. Not unlike Josh Gordon and his track record leading to a lengthy suspension.

I do not think that Sean Payton knew about the bounty but he was still suspended and I imagine the same will happen to BB as the head of the team. I am still going to celebrate our SB win and then worry about the punishment after the draft.

Funny writing! My compliments to his ghostwriter!

100% right. All QB's should be pissed because from now on, the refs are going to be checking all the balls every series - with a gauge and scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back