PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Teixeira article

As soon as I saw the headline that John Henry said the Sox were out of the running, the first thought that came to my mind was 'the Yankees are going to sign Teixeira'.

I was never confident that Teixiera was signing here. The Angels made him a great offer and they are a great team ... gotta figure that "T'chada" wanted no less than to have Frank from Glostah on his side.

I heard the toothless loser yesterday on EEI with the "T-chada" comments, nearly went off the road pissing myself with laughter as the moron went on to say the Yankees will win the next three world series now.

Hey douchebag, they should try making the playoffs first.

Nice to see they replaced Giambi/Abreau's production with "T-chada" and Mussina's with CC (can he go 20-9 like Moose did, time will tell), so if that is the case, they still don't win 90 games and they once again miss the playoffs.

Yankee fan=moron.

I heard the toothless loser yesterday on EEI with the "T-chada" comments, nearly went off the road pissing myself with laughter as the moron went on to say the Yankees will win the next three world series now.

Hey douchebag, they should try making the playoffs first.

Nice to see they replaced Giambi/Abreau's production with "T-chada" and Mussina's with CC (can he go 20-9 like Moose did, time will tell), so if that is the case, they still don't win 90 games and they once again miss the playoffs.

Yankee fan=moron.

While we all know how dominating Sabathia can be he is also always 1 pitch away from the diabled list. Burnett ... this is twice now I am glad we did not sign him ... he has natioanl league stuff at best, a head case who will get fried by the NY media. As for Texiera ... good luck with the NY experience ... A-Rod thought he could be a Yankee also and we all know that movie.

Very true on all counts; word is "T-chada"'s wife did not want to live in Boston, and he had his little heart set on being a Yankee, so the two combined=a landing in New York.

On another forum I post on, a moron Yankee fan said how happy he was to see "The Yanks come in and trump Boston once again and steal this guy from right under their noses."

Nice try brainiac, but the guy (or I should way HIS WIFE, guess we all know who wears the pants there, did not want to come here) wanted to be a Yankee and the Yankees signed him more to keep him away from us and less as a need of theirs.

Classic, shelling out 180 mill just to keep a guy away from another team.

Yup, just classic.

While we all know how dominating Sabathia can be he is also always 1 pitch away from the diabled list. Burnett ... this is twice now I am glad we did not sign him ... he has natioanl league stuff at best, a head case who will get fried by the NY media. As for Texiera ... good luck with the NY experience ... A-Rod thought he could be a Yankee also and we all know that movie.

Sabathia is a horse and I really doubt he has any injury problems in the future. I guess you could make the argument that he will break down because of his weight but that will be a ways off.

Burnett has some of the best stuff in the game. I don't know why you say he has national league stuff at best. The problem with his is that he's been on the DL 10 times in his career and he's a bit of a head case.

Teixeira will be everything the NYY hoped they would be getting while he's in NY.

Sabathia is a horse and I really doubt he has any injury problems in the future. I guess you could make the argument that he will break down because of his weight but that will be a ways off.

Burnett has some of the best stuff in the game. I don't know why you say he has national league stuff at best. The problem with his is that he's been on the DL 10 times in his career and he's a bit of a head case.

Teixeira will be everything the NYY hoped they would be getting while he's in NY.
If WE really wanted any of the three, we would have signed them pure and simple.

With a healthy Lowell, Drew and perhaps Papi getting back to the form they are capable of, if Beckett stays healthy, I'm happy with the position the team is in.

The one question mark I have is catching. Other than that I believe we're set up very well, without splashing out for lavish acquisitions to appease the masses.

If WE really wanted any of the three, we would have signed them pure and simple.

With a healthy Lowell, Drew and perhaps Papi getting back to the form they are capable of, if Beckett stays healthy, I'm happy with the position the team is in.

The one question mark I have is catching. Other than that I believe we're set up very well, without splashing out for lavish acquisitions to appease the masses.

Yes ... would be nice to see the Sox end up with Saltalamacchia or Teagarden even if they have to slightly overpay for them. My biggest problem with Teixiera also was the 8 years. I don't see the Sox ever going any higher than 5-6 years with a player ... way too much a gamble. The Yankees have more money to piss away so if he goes down for his career what do they care ... they'll just overpay someone else.

Yes ... would be nice to see the Sox end up with Saltalamacchia or Teagarden even if they have to slightly overpay for them. My biggest problem with Teixiera also was the 8 years. I don't see the Sox ever going any higher than 5-6 years with a player ... way too much a gamble. The Yankees have more money to piss away so if he goes down for his career what do they care ... they'll just overpay someone else.

If the Sox refuse to offer more than a 5-6 year deal they will never land an elite free agent. Teixeira is a pretty safe 8 year deal.

Yankee fan=moron.

Actually, Wang's return will replace Mussina's production more or less. Sabathia & Burnett will be replacing Sidney Ponson, and Darryl Rasner in the rotation. At the plate, it's Teixeira, Matsui, & Posada that are being added, with Abreu and Giambi being subtracted. When you consider the fact that the Yankees won 89 games last year, in the toughest division in baseball, with Wang, Posada, and Matsui hurt, an off year from Cano, down years from Arod & Jeter, along with 40+ starts between Rasner and Ponson, it's hard to imagine them not being better than they were last year. Anything is possible, but I think they should be stronger than they were last season. They'll definately be better defensively with Abreu's minus player value in RF (worst defensive OF at -18), and Giambi's stone glove in the infield, being replaced by Nady/Swisher & GG winner Tiexeira. Plus, with 400+ k's being added to the starting rotation, there will be fewer balls put into play.

Very true on all counts; word is "T-chada"'s wife did not want to live in Boston, and he had his little heart set on being a Yankee, so the two combined=a landing in New York.

On another forum I post on, a moron Yankee fan said how happy he was to see "The Yanks come in and trump Boston once again and steal this guy from right under their noses."

Nice try brainiac, but the guy (or I should way HIS WIFE, guess we all know who wears the pants there, did not want to come here) wanted to be a Yankee and the Yankees signed him more to keep him away from us and less as a need of theirs.

Classic, shelling out 180 mill just to keep a guy away from another team.

Yup, just classic.

Obviously you don't follow the Yankees very closely. The Yankees absolutely needed a power hitter, and a defensively proficient first baseman. Before signing Tex, who was Arod's protection in the lineup? Tex is also a switch hitter, which protects the Yankees from what has been an achiles heal the last few years, and that's left handed pitchers. His ability to bat from both sides of the plate is a boon to them, as he protects against those lefty starters, while simutaneously taking advantage of the short porch in RF. The Yankees do not have a minor league ready first base prospect either, so not as if Tex is blocking someone like Lars Anderson for the Sox. While starting pitching was the Yankees #1 need, alot of people felt that Tex should have been their target after signing CC, as opposed to going after Burnett. Teams know that the free agent market in baseball has changed, as teams have become more prudent in signing their good young players to long term deals. It's something teams starting doing more and more frequently after Duquette did it with Nomar. Overpaying for high end, top of the line FA's will be the standard for the next few years, since there will be fewer and fewer of them on the market. Tex is under 30, and just begining the prime years of his career. Did the Yankees overpay? Arguably yes. However, that is always the case with the top players in FA each year. You'd rather overpay for the sure fire players, than overpay for the second tier guys that slightly above league average.

I agree. I'm not as worried about CC and Tex, as I am about Burnett. With Burnett, it's not his stuff that people question, like you say, it's his injury history. A ton of players, when asked about pitchers' stuff, constantly point to Burnett as having some of the league's best. It's not by accident that he performed his best against the Yankees and Sox this past season. He's a tremendous risk IMO.

"Obviously you don't follow the Yankees very closely."

I follow them closely enough to know they are totally preoccupied with the Red Sox and they signed Luxury Taxiera mainly to keep him away from the Red Sox. All reports were the three players for the Luxury Taxiera were Boston, LA and Washington, the Yankees were not one of the players.

They needed him? Really? Why Swisher then? He now becomes what, a fourth outfielder, a fifth outfielder or do you trade him and Shemp and sign Manny? Why not Yanks, sign Lowe too, go for it, 500 million dollar payroll, why not?

Cashman, aka, the best check writer in baseball, basically told Borass come back to us with your highest offer and we will beat it. If the Sox had offered 180, the Yankees would have gone to 190, etc, etc.

They were not, repeat were not going to let this guy go to Boston.

That is about as pathetic as it gets, so take off your pinstripe glasses and get a clue.

"Obviously you don't follow the Yankees very closely."

I follow them closely enough to know they are totally preoccupied with the Red Sox and they signed Luxury Taxiera mainly to keep him away from the Red Sox. All reports were the three players for the Luxury Taxiera were Boston, LA and Washington, the Yankees were not one of the players.

They needed him? Really? Why Swisher then? He now becomes what, a fourth outfielder, a fifth outfielder or do you trade him and Shemp and sign Manny? Why not Yanks, sign Lowe too, go for it, 500 million dollar payroll, why not?

Cashman, aka, the best check writer in baseball, basically told Borass come back to us with your highest offer and we will beat it. If the Sox had offered 180, the Yankees would have gone to 190, etc, etc.

They were not, repeat were not going to let this guy go to Boston.

That is about as pathetic as it gets, so take off your pinstripe glasses and get a clue.

I really can't argue with someone who thinks that the Yankees signed a switch hitting, two time GG first baseman, who's under 30, and has averaged 30 homers, 120 RBI, with a .300 average, ONLY to keep him from the Redsox. I mean, who needs a guy like that anyway.

Not for nothing, but if the Yankees don't need Teixeira, then can you explain to me why the Redsox do?

Not for nothing, but if the Yankees don't need Teixeira, then can you explain to me why the Redsox do?
I never understood why this guy was the apparent cornerstone of the Sox off season efforts when we are solid at the corners (assuming Lowell comes back ok) and our most glaring need is at catcher. This move makes a lot more sense for the Yankees who needed to fill a hole plus have the ability to overpay for a guy like Teixeira. He's a real nice player to have but I'm not sure he's the type of generational talent that commands the money he is getting.

Last edited:
I never understood why this guy was the apparent cornerstone of the Sox off season efforts when we are solid at the corners (assuming Lowell comes back ok) and our most glaring need is at catcher. This move makes a lot more sense for the Yankees who needed to fill a hole plus have the ability to overpay for a guy like Teixeira. He's a real nice player to have but I'm not sure he's the type of generational talent that commands the money he is getting.

Because Teixeira is the type of guy you can pencil in at the 3 or 4 spot in the order for the duration of his contract. Yes, we are solid at the corners but not for long. We are lacking the 3-4 power combo we had when we were winning it all. We are fine right now but we are not set for the future.

Because Teixeira is the type of guy you can pencil in at the 3 or 4 spot in the order for the duration of his contract. Yes, we are solid at the corners but not for long. We are lacking the 3-4 power combo we had when we were winning it all. We are fine right now but we are not set for the future.
Its hard for me to follow the Sox farm system on the left coast but I was under the impression we had a hot 3b prospect that would be ready by the time Lowell was done.

Its hard for me to follow the Sox farm system on the left coast but I was under the impression we had a hot 3b prospect that would be ready by the time Lowell was done.

We have Lars Anderson who is a 1B prospect. He is a top notch power prospect that is almost untouchable in the system.

Lars Anderson is one of the top positional prospects in all of baseball. It would have been interesting to see what the Sox would do with him, had they been successful in signing Tex. Clearly Lowell would have been the odd man out, but that would have meant Youk, Ortiz, and Tex for 3 spots (DH, 3B, & 1B). I wonder if Ortiz' window with the Sox would have been limited with Lars in the picture. It would have been interesting, since I don't think the Sox, as they are currently run, would be interested in trading Anderson at all. That being said, there simply aren't going to be any prominant, under 30 sluggers on the market, in the next few years. Teams like the Sox and Yankees know that, and therefore Tex got the $$ he did. Obviously that oculd change should some player develop (think Carlos Quintan) late, and hit FA. Next years prime FA's are Matt Holliday & Jason Bay. One we'll find out about this year (Coors factor), and the other will get a full season when it matters to set his true worth (I personally like Bay as a player). With the new testing policy, and the removal of greenies, productive 35 home run bats will be harder to find in FA.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back