tbc

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfan55

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
im watching nfl replay
and tully had a pretty darn good game
he made a really nice play on a run where he pushed the blocker into the backfield then rapped up mcgahee for a loss

on the safety as someone aready pointed out here he made the original play

and on seymours sack tbc was the one who came off the edge and flushed losman back up into the pocket where big sey was waiting with open arms

tbc will prob only get better, and after watchin the replay i liked what i saw

Yeah, Tully had a great game, I know the run play you are talking about, I think it was Royal who was trying to block him. Tully has always been able to generate pressure when he was in there, at least against preseason fodder, but seeing him make plays against the running game is encouraging.

Obviously the team is going to need some young players to step up because Vrabel and Bruschi are probably on the other side of halfway through their careers, sadly.

I thought he looked good. He had one run play where he got blocked easily and gave up a big play but came right back the next play to shut down the run.

Tully could become something, this is the season he'll have to make that step if he wants to continue his career in New England, IMO. He's off to a good start.

Thank you for the post. I was trying to keep my eye on him but my seats are in the south end zone. Unfortunately most of the plays were on the north side of the field and I had a poor vantage point.

I agree, if he continues to make plays, his confidence will grow.

He provided good outside pressure and held his own up front for the most part.

I think there is room for improvment, which isn't as criticism. Just pointing out he is going to get better the more playing time he gets.

TBC is a free agent after this season. As much as people talk about Wilson/Koppen/Graham, he may be just as important to keep.

NE39 said:
TBC is a free agent after this season. As much as people talk about Wilson/Koppen/Graham, he may be just as important to keep.

I won't be surprised if he's one of the guys they keep either.

BelichickFan said:
I thought he looked good. He had one run play where he got blocked easily and gave up a big play but came right back the next play to shut down the run.
Actually, Tully did his job on both plays, Seymour didn't...It's in the first defensive series of the Buffalo Thread, D6 if memory serves. Watching the replay last night, Simms put the finger on Tully too, you'd have hoped he'd have spotted Seymour getting sealed inside by the LT and losing gap control.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Actually, Tully did his job on both plays, Seymour didn't...It's in the first defensive series of the Buffalo Thread, D6 if memory serves. Watching the replay last night, Simms put the finger on Tully too, you'd have hoped he'd have spotted Seymour getting sealed inside by the LT and losing gap control.
Thanks for pointint that out - assuming it's the same play. I taped the replay last night so I can watch that again. I'd much prefer Sey to be at fault as he's a sure thing over the course of the season.

This is as good a place as any to point out that TBC is a UFA at the end of the year so if he keeps playing well, instead of mentioning Graham, Samuel and Koppen and guys we'd like to re-sign, we should think about adding TBC's name to that list.

BelichickFan said:
Thanks for pointint that out - assuming it's the same play. I taped the replay last night so I can watch that again. I'd much prefer Sey to be at fault as he's a sure thing over the course of the season.
You can double check me when you watch your tape tonight.

m: 1st and 10
r: Run, left side, 14 yds.
o: 2 wide right, 2 TE left.
d: 3-4, Hobbs shifted to the right side in press on the wideout, Colvin and Samuel shifted to the left side, Colvin a step deep outside Banta-Cain marking the flanker, Harrison playing up over the slot WR.
b: Warren put the RT face first into the dirt avoiding the cut block; Wilfork was doubled by the C/RG; Seau engaged the LG; Seymour was turned inside by the LT; Banta-Cain drove the TE a yard deep in the backfield to set the edge; Colvin held the line outside against the flanker.
a: Buffalo had been using a 2 TE overload to beat the edge containment of the OLB and allow McGahee to get outside where he prefers to run, (perhaps when we review the first half we’ll see if this defensive formation was a response to their overload effort); There were a number of break downs on this play, but the main one was Seymour getting beaten by the LT, sealing him and the ILB pursuit inside; Coaching or communication affected the edge containment - Banta-Cain was inside Colvin so he should have deferred to Colvin to set the edge and stayed on the line minding his gaps, instead he did what he normally does, driving into the backfield to set a hard edge and force the RB wider or back into Seymour; With Seymour out of the picture, Banta-Cain was too deep to control the gap alone; Colvin was too wide to get back inside in support, since he was also setting an outside edge (part of the coaching/communication break down); Samuel was playing outside containment like a good CB and was also too wide to make a play; Vrabel got hung up behind the interior line bodies guarding the cutback lane as McGahee feinted a cutback; Wilson playing fail-safe, was the only player between McGahee and the end zone.

m: 1st and 10
r: Run, left side, loss of 1 yd.
o: 3 wide, slot duo right, TE left.
d: 3-4, Hobbs right side marking Evans, Colvin playing wide and a step deep marking the other slot WR; Samuel soft on the right side.
b: Warren hand fought the RT laterally left; Wilfork was doubled by the RG/C and fought them laterally left; Seau met the LG and Vrabel ran into them, both ILBs were driven upfield by the LG; Seymour was driven off the line by the LT; Banta-Cain set the edge against the TE; Wilson fought through the LWR.
a: Buffalo went on a quick snap count and caught the Pats LBs and DBs during their adjustments; This worked against them as Banta-Cain was still a step deep and outside “normal†OLB position which allowed the TE to get some momentum before they engaged and Banta-Cain whipped his butt - this prevented Tully from getting too deep in the backfield like last time; The entire front seven (minus TBC) was battling to the left with the flow of the run; Samuel was actually turned around walking upfield communicating with the Ss at the snap, and was in a good position to threaten any attempt to go inside Banta-Cain where Seymour had again lost his gap; McGahee started outside around Banta-Cain bring Samuel up fast on the edge and allowing TBC to ditch his TE toy and go for the tackle; at this stage, Seymour was three yds off the line and had shed his blocker, Wilfork was also three yds deep, but still bottling up the middle, Warren had started on an upfield pursuit angle, shedding the RT, Colvin was trailing the play in backside containment, Seau and Vrabel had been driven off the screen, and Wilson had come up in run support and was abusing the WR in his way; TBC got a hand on McGahee as he checked and tried to reverse his field when TBC and Samuel slammed the outside door on him; TBC hung on until Seymour got there to clean up.

NE39 said:

Yes! I was about to start a thread on this. We all talk about how long it takes for LBs to fully learn the Patriots' system. Well here we have a young guy who's entering his fourth year in the Patriots' defense, and entering the prime of his career for good measure. Plus as a 7th-round draft pick you have to think he'd be interested in a deal that puts a signing bonus in his pocket NOW.

BelichickFan said:
This is as good a place as any to point out that TBC is a UFA at the end of the year so if he keeps playing well, instead of mentioning Graham, Samuel and Koppen and guys we'd like to re-sign, we should think about adding TBC's name to that list.
I'm sure we're a day late and a dollar short on that thought, compared to the brain trust that is. :D

I can see Mike Reiss reporting TBC's re-signing this season for Vrabel/Colvin-like money before the 2006 cap turns over to 2007. Nice to think our little 7th rounder is going to cash in...:singing:

Box_O_Rocks said:
I can see Mike Reiss reporting TBC's re-signing this season for Vrabel/Colvin-like money before the 2006 cap turns over to 2007.

Do you think that any players who sign extensions this year will write personal thank-you notes:

"Dear Mr. Branch, I wanted to let you know how much my family and I are enjoying the lovely cap space you gave us...."

patchick said:
Do you think that any players who sign extensions this year will write personal thank-you notes:

"Dear Mr. Branch, I wanted to let you know how much my family and I are enjoying the lovely cap space you gave us...."
Say it with flowers.

TBC still needs to improve in two areas: persuit and tackling. E.g., during Mcgahee's catch-and-run on the last play from scrimmage of the 1st qtr., McGahee was fairly bottled-up near the sideline; however, instead of waiting for him to change direction, TBC runs into the trash and vacates the lane through which McGahee begins his 20-yard gain. TBC also hasn't mastered the Willie Mac technique of slowing down slighty as he approaches the qb, mirroring the qb's steps, then exploding and wrapping up his prey.
When/if TBC becomes more accomplished at these two facets, his re-signing will become more of a priority. As of today, my order remains: Samuel, Koppen, Graham, TBC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST