PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Superstitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gopats!!!

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Do any of you guys have anything you do to "help" the Pats win a game or do good in the draft.

After betting $50 on a Pats-bengals game back in the days the bengals sucked and Drew was kicking butt in a Pats uniform, we lost. The only way that could have happened was if I jinxed them. So I NEVER bet on the Pats.

I always wear my Seymour Jersey and a Pats hat.

I have a Pats football that never touches the ground.

I drink out of a Pats mug, never letting it get fully empty until the end of the game.

Please don't me feel like the only freak here. Does anyone else have any superstitions?

hehe, my brady's jersey cannot be stained and I take it trips all to my. The ball of the Pats I cannot either touch the Earth. And I nothing else do not have of patriots hehe.

Last edited:
During the season, I only wear my Pats jersey on game day. before playoff games i wear patriots clothing every day

I have a Patriots bean bag chair in the dorm room, that is where I sit during games

Anyone in the room with me has to have something Patriots on to watch the game with me

No one can talk during the plays, only during pauses and commercials

I also never bet on Pats games. I am thinking about changing that superstition though, it didnt' help them last year.

I also try to prevent others from talking during plays, but that is less superstition and more of a practical issue :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to wear this set of Patriots Mardi Gras beads, but I broke them a week ago. We're doomed!

Nothing major, I must always wear at least 2 items of Pats apparel (one of which has to be Pat Patriot) and if I'm at home watching an away game I always have to be on the couch with a beer and my oldest always has to sit in the recliner. I haven't figured out where my wife and daughter have to sit yet. It's been kind of hit or miss with them.

Brownfan80 said:
I used to wear this set of Patriots Mardi Gras beads, but I broke them a week ago. We're doomed!

At least we know who to blame!!! ;)

D-cleater said:
I also try to prevent others from talking during plays, but that is less superstition and more of a practical issue :)
Right. I've given up trying to watch the game with people. Can't do it. The wife asks innane questions (which should be worse this year now that she's a volunteer Line Judge for the High School football league) and the 14 year old is overly negative and harps on every mistake. Drives me batty. The family will "watch" the Pats game in the living room on the big screen and I huddle in my den, all alone, yelling at tiny (but Hi-Def) LCD monitor. :D

I pray and beg before every game that Tom Brady does not get hurt. :(

Kdo5 said:
I pray and beg before every game that Tom Brady does not get hurt. :(
Ouch, that's putting a lot of negative energy out there into the Universe. You should pray and beg that he stays perfectly healthy instead. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
During the Pats/Eagles Super Bowl, I was in my dorm room watching the game with a few friends, when during the play my roomate (still one of my best friends) asks me some deep and important question about this girl he likes. I didn't actually hear what he said, I just said "Can't this wait?" He was so mad that he stormed out of the room and was so pissed at me, my other friends were dying laughing. After the Pats possession (which was the TD to Givens), I turned to my friends and asked them what was so funny.

Long story short, none of my friends ever asks me any questions during the games anymore.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Right. I've given up trying to watch the game with people. Can't do it. The wife asks innane questions (which should be worse this year now that she's a volunteer Line Judge for the High School football league) and the 14 year old is overly negative and harps on every mistake. Drives me batty. The family will "watch" the Pats game in the living room on the big screen and I huddle in my den, all alone, yelling at tiny (but Hi-Def) LCD monitor. :D

I'm so used to ignoring the Mrs. when I'm transfixed on the tv it's not really an issue when the Pats are on :) . I've honed my selective hearing skills!

I always fly the big Patriots flag in front of my house on game day. The key is that it has to be hanging before the sun comes up and has to come down before the sun comes up the next day. If not bad losses have happened the next week. This has caused some awkward situations when I get home late from night games. For the Indy opener in 2004 the traffic was the worst leaving because a guy had been killed walking along route 1 on top of the jersey barriors. I only live in Hingham but I got home at like 3 in the morning. I went to bed and was just about to fall asleep when I realized the F@#ing flag was still up. I was so tired I just walked out to the street to lower it (and it is a busy street) BUCK NAKED. I just hope my neighbors weren't up late that night. :eek:

Superstitions and game rituals are for losers who have no confidence in the team. Do you honestly think that whatever you do will effect the out come of a game?

Now, I have to have my Patriots Football Weekly with the depth charts folded on my lap. And, 15 minutes of before the game I touch each Patriots players name and bless them. I also touch each players name on the opposing team and put a curse on them.

I don't think that would be called superstitous or a ritual.

And, if for some reason it gets beyond 15mins before a the game and I haven't started, I break out in a full sweat and start having chest pains means nothing.:eek:

PATSNUTme said:
Superstitions and game rituals are for losers who have no confidence in the team. Do you honestly think that whatever you do will effect the out come of a game?

Now, I have to have my Patriots Football Weekly with the depth charts folded on my lap. And, 15 minutes of before the game I touch each Patriots players name and bless them. I also touch each players name on the opposing team and put a curse on them.

I don't think that would be called superstitous or a ritual.

And, if for some reason it gets beyond 15mins before a the game and I haven't started, I break out in a full sweat and start having chest pains means nothing.:eek:

Right before kick off, I turn to my friend at the stadium next to me and ask his official score prediction. The one time I forgot, they got waxed by San Diego. I always park in the same parking lot at Gillette and always close down the tailgate at the exact same time every gameday. On road games, I dont have any superstitions I dont think.

Oh yeah, never bet on the Pats EVER - bad karma guaranteed.

I always wear a Brady jersey while watching the Pats - after each SB win I get a new color jersey to wear on gamedays (I'm on silver now). If the Pats lose I have to switch colors until they win again.

A bad one I had during the '03 season - my buddy is a Redskin fan and we went to the Skins/Pats game. Pats lost, but then went on their win streak. We took my car and he left his Skins hat in it. I didn't find the hat til about win 10 of the streak. Usually I would have given it back but I waited until we won the SB to do it, as not to jinx the Pats.

I usually don't shave after a loss until the Pats win again (doesn't count in the offseason thank goodness).

I watch "Any Given Sunday" before the start of every season and on SB Sunday if the Pats are playing. Pacino's speech gets lots of play after a loss too.

Crowpointer said:
I always fly the big Patriots flag in front of my house on game day. The key is that it has to be hanging before the sun comes up and has to come down before the sun comes up the next day. If not bad losses have happened the next week. This has caused some awkward situations when I get home late from night games. For the Indy opener in 2004 the traffic was the worst leaving because a guy had been killed walking along route 1 on top of the jersey barriors. I only live in Hingham but I got home at like 3 in the morning. I went to bed and was just about to fall asleep when I realized the F@#ing flag was still up. I was so tired I just walked out to the street to lower it (and it is a busy street) BUCK NAKED. I just hope my neighbors weren't up late that night. :eek:

I forgot! I have a huge Pats flag I fly too! It flies on draft day, and isn't taken down until the Pats stop playing.

I also have that huge inflatable Pats guy that goes in your front yard (My Dad got it for me:) ). I put that out after we win the Conference Championship.

Gopats!!! said:
I forgot! I have a huge Pats flag I fly too! It flies on draft day, and isn't taken down until the Pats stop playing.

I also have that huge inflatable Pats guy that goes in your front yard (My Dad got it for me:) ). I put that out after we win the Conference Championship.

So, your "inflatable Pat guy' goes in your front yard? I hope that you wait until dark.

I wear a specific shirt under my Brady jersey. My husband wears a specific Pats hat. We sit on specific barstools at the same bar for non-nationally televised games, and we sit in the same seats at home. We also have a ceremonial flag that we put out in front of our house on game days- but never the day before.

I am impressed when reading all this, did not know that the liking to this team was so great in the United States. cheers to Me to read your histories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back