PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sun Article: Chung takes dream course

Status
Not open for further replies.
My apologies on that, I interpreted it as being a mistake...That is one risk that should be applauded no matter what the cost to him.

He has a fall back career heaven forbid he can't play anymore, that's a hell of a lot more than most of the guys drafted have. He should be commended for doing the right thing in going with his education over quick cash.

"Set up for life" is a stretch, he still has to earn his money or else he gets cut like every other flop. That signing bonus that he gets will be gone fast and if he can't play anymore he has something that he can use to have a life outside of football unlike many others.

No, he doesn't. Even if he gets cut the first year, he will pocket roughly $1.5M. $1.5M put into bonds/investments with a 5% return will give him $75K a year for the rest of his life in interest alone. Thats set up for life.

He risked being set up for life to go back to school for a year. While it is noble, its incredibly Foolish from a risk/reward standpoint. If he bombs out of football, he can take a year off living off his ridiculous savings, and finish the degree.

FYI: Donny Avery was pick 2.2 last year. He signed a 4.8M contract with $2.75M guaranteed, so the money is even higher than we're talking. The average american will barely make 2.75M in their lifetime.

Last edited:
Chung wanted to get his degree before entering the NFL-smart move! Was it Duane Starks who said finishing school was his first priority and football was second, admirable but he was in the NFL at the time, and we know how that worked out. :eek:

Exactly the kind of guy BB/we want(s).

I can't verify your quote attributing to Starks, though.

Exactly the kind of guy BB/we want(s).

I can't verify your quote attributing to Starks, though.

I'm pretty sure it was him but it was so long ago I wouldn't even know where to find any quotes, but yes I think the Pats recognize the value of a player who's not only considered life after football but invested in it as well.
Lots of good personal stories behind our draftees :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News