PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stokley signs with Denver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gotta say though, Travis Henry is gonna be better than Tatum Bell, so there better there.

Adding Dre Bly at the other corner, to an already unreal Champ Bailey? That's gonna really make their defense tough.

Daniel Graham, while yes, he's getting more money than he appears to be worth, nonetheless will add another nice weapon to their offense.

Adding Stokley just gives them yet another veteran talent that can contribute.

And Cutler was considered a stud prospect, that everyone said was a 'can't miss' and many rated above some of the other bigger names Like Leinart.
Most rookie QB's don't come in and just take over, they usually need a little time and seasoning. Carson Palmer didn't even play his first year for quite awhile - sam with Phillip Rivers. So don't sleep on Cutler developing into a star. And remember, they recently added Javon Walker who is a major talent.

They have the coach. They have the QB. They have the running back. They have the receiver. They have a good and improving defense. What's not to like? They always draft well, so I expect them to add more there.

I expect their biggest challenge to be dealing with the loss of Darrent Williams, who was shot and killed, but I think adding Dre Bly was the perfect move to kind of diminish that loss, at least from a talent perspective.

Yeah, I'd say, you guys might be underestimating a little what Shanny's doing over there in the thin air of the rockies.

Well, I personally don't think Cutler is a can't miss prospect. Just because a guy can throw the ball 80 yards and looks great throwing to receivers in a combine setting doesn't mean he'll be a great QB. I thought everyone had learned that with Kyle Boller, but I guess not. In his time with Vandy and with the Broncs, I've just never been all that impressed with what he does during a game. He doesn't seem to have the instincts and prescence that great QBs have.

And I forgot to mention one team that I would rate over them right now, Baltimore.

Well, I personally don't think Cutler is a can't miss prospect. Just because a guy can throw the ball 80 yards and looks great throwing to receivers in a combine setting doesn't mean he'll be a great QB. I thought everyone had learned that with Kyle Boller, but I guess not. In his time with Vandy and with the Broncs, I've just never been all that impressed with what he does during a game. He doesn't seem to have the instincts and prescence that great QBs have.

And I forgot to mention one team that I would rate over them right now, Baltimore.

Time will tell....I wouldn't label him a bust just yet.

Time will tell....I wouldn't label him a bust just yet.

I wouldn't either. Just saying that I don't believe he's a "can't miss" (few QBs have been) and I'm not ready to put the Broncos among the top 3-4 teams in the AFC because of it.

I wouldn't either. Just saying that I don't believe he's a "can't miss" (few QBs have been) and I'm not ready to put the Broncos among the top 3-4 teams in the AFC because of it.

The pundits are putting them there because they are trying to surround him with weapons to take the pressure off him (Henry, Graham etc) not because of Cutler alone. The addition of Bates should help their defense but they still need improvement there.

The pundits are putting them there because they are trying to surround him with weapons to take the pressure off him (Henry, Graham etc) not because of Cutler alone. The addition of Bates should help their defense but they still need improvement there.

I agree. I'm just saying that the AFC is so loaded that teams like NE, SD, Indy, Baltimore, Cincy, and Pit have reason to feel just as confident if not more than Den. Then there's Jacksonville and Kansas City, and even Miami's got a strong defense. That's a lot of competition in the AFC.

I agree. I'm just saying that the AFC is so loaded that teams like NE, SD, Indy, Baltimore, Cincy, and Pit have reason to feel just as confident if not more than Den. Then there's Jacksonville and Kansas City, and even Miami's got a strong defense. That's a lot of competition in the AFC.

Never mind the fact that Denver absolutely DESTROYED Pittsburgh when we played them this year, and the fact that they have a new coach...

Before the offseason, I was feeling very down on the Broncos. The loss to the 49ers was absolutely terrible. They needed to win against a 6-9 team, and they went out and looked like horse poo. Our o-line put up quite possibly the worst showing I've seen from them in five years or so. They (George Foster, Detroit can deal with that lazy tub of goo now...:cool: ) got Cutler sacked so hard he had to go out for a few series. Enter Plummer. Mike Bell breaks a 40 yard run or so and we end up on the five. Plummer throws an INT. And it's not really the reason for the loss, but the officials were totally inept. They weren't whistling plays dead, or even remotely knowing the rule book. A game changing fumble that should have been given to Denver was given to the 9ers, and a complete pass for a long gain was ruled incomplete for the 49ers. Because Plummer was so dreadful, Cutler was put back in with a concussion and throws an INT returned for a TD. However, he drives them back and ties the game. Nedney kicks. We lose. Dwill dies. Things suck. Nash dies. Things suck more.

But I think that the fact that the Broncos are moving forward and making very good FA pickups is a sign that they're willing to work hard through adversity. The team is very fired up for next season, and the draft is just around the corner. We've had excellent drafts for the past two years, particularly last. Literally every single player we drafted could end up starting in the very near future. Obviously, I'm a homer, but I don't think Cutler is nearly as bad as some of you do. He had 9TDs and 5 INTs in five games. He broke a record set by Dan Marino. He brought us back in 3 losses that were lost by the defense. Last minute against Seattle, Brandon Marshall breaks a 71 yard TD run (well, that wasn't Cutler). The defense doesn't make an adjustment to stop a last minute FG drive. Seattle wins it as time expires. Chargers loss was pathetic. Cutler led us back during the third quarter ad had two TDs within a minute of eachother. Scares the **** out of SD. Tomlinson proceeds to go crazy on us, we give up 48 points and lose. Niners...just inexcusable. Actually, Cutler had a fourth quarter comeback in every single one of his games, except Arizona, but we were crushing them anyway. He'll be very good and you're kidding yourself if you think he's a bust already. Of course, he could end up not panning out, but he played MUCH better then expected for being a rookie thrown into a high pressure situation. Add to that the fact that Mike Shanahan, who is one of the better QB coaches of all time (Steve Young, John Elway, hell, he got Griese and Plummer to the Pro Bowl), is his coach, and I think we're sitting pretty. I'll get flamed for this, but I think he'll at least be a better starter in the NFL then Vince Young, and probably Leinart as well.

We got a new DC, Jim Bates, who is very well respected around the league. His defenses always finish in the top ten. We've gotten Dre Bly. I dare you to pass on us. Henry andn Graham. Killer running attack, and Graham will be deadly in a two TE set with Tony Scheffler in goal line situations, particularly because our WRs are 6'4" and 6'5". Add the draft, where hopefully we will aquire a pass rush, and we will be a very good team.

I also think people are overrating SD. Their entire coaching staff was gutted. You've got to remember, Norv Turner took over the Raiders when they were a very good team. Jerry Rice said he was an awful coach. His lifetime record against the AFC West is a grand total of three wins. I'm not saying the Chargers WON'T be good next year, but past history shows that Norv Turner can make good teams very bad.

So, I hope you've enjoyed this little novel on the Broncos chances...

I think this is yet another good move by the Denver Broncos.

Stokley is a good 'Troy Brown' type receiver. He won't be worthy of a spot on a fantasy team, but he will come up with the big catches.

The Broncos will once again be a thorn in the Pats side. They have had a good offseason (well, obviously discluding the two deaths), and have been somewhat overshadowed by the Pats' moves.

Yup..yet another good move by Denver is a series of good moves this off season.

Looking to me that we may be seeing a two team race for the top seeds shaping up in 2007. ALl of this said before the draft of course.

NE schedule VERY tough this year, but have improved to elite status at this point, followed closely by Denver. It will be imperative for both teams to capture the #1 & #2 seeds for the bye - then one emerges with home field throughout.

I don't see SD overcoming coaching losses.

I see Indy falling backwards full of themselves having achieved their zenith.

Jax & Cinnci never seem able to make take that next step.

Jets....eh, overachieved last year - takes a step backward.

Dolphins going the wrong way and aging.

Ravens, Chiefs, Steelers - going nowhere fast.

No question, at this point,FWIW, NE & Denver are the clear off season winners.

Last edited:
Never mind the fact that Denver absolutely DESTROYED Pittsburgh when we played them this year, and the fact that they have a new coach...

Before the offseason, I was feeling very down on the Broncos. The loss to the 49ers was absolutely terrible. They needed to win against a 6-9 team, and they went out and looked like horse poo. Our o-line put up quite possibly the worst showing I've seen from them in five years or so. They (George Foster, Detroit can deal with that lazy tub of goo now...:cool: ) got Cutler sacked so hard he had to go out for a few series. Enter Plummer. Mike Bell breaks a 40 yard run or so and we end up on the five. Plummer throws an INT. And it's not really the reason for the loss, but the officials were totally inept. They weren't whistling plays dead, or even remotely knowing the rule book. A game changing fumble that should have been given to Denver was given to the 9ers, and a complete pass for a long gain was ruled incomplete for the 49ers. Because Plummer was so dreadful, Cutler was put back in with a concussion and throws an INT returned for a TD. However, he drives them back and ties the game. Nedney kicks. We lose. Dwill dies. Things suck. Nash dies. Things suck more.

But I think that the fact that the Broncos are moving forward and making very good FA pickups is a sign that they're willing to work hard through adversity. The team is very fired up for next season, and the draft is just around the corner. We've had excellent drafts for the past two years, particularly last. Literally every single player we drafted could end up starting in the very near future. Obviously, I'm a homer, but I don't think Cutler is nearly as bad as some of you do. He had 9TDs and 5 INTs in five games. He broke a record set by Dan Marino. He brought us back in 3 losses that were lost by the defense. Last minute against Seattle, Brandon Marshall breaks a 71 yard TD run (well, that wasn't Cutler). The defense doesn't make an adjustment to stop a last minute FG drive. Seattle wins it as time expires. Chargers loss was pathetic. Cutler led us back during the third quarter ad had two TDs within a minute of eachother. Scares the **** out of SD. Tomlinson proceeds to go crazy on us, we give up 48 points and lose. Niners...just inexcusable. Actually, Cutler had a fourth quarter comeback in every single one of his games, except Arizona, but we were crushing them anyway. He'll be very good and you're kidding yourself if you think he's a bust already. Of course, he could end up not panning out, but he played MUCH better then expected for being a rookie thrown into a high pressure situation. Add to that the fact that Mike Shanahan, who is one of the better QB coaches of all time (Steve Young, John Elway, hell, he got Griese and Plummer to the Pro Bowl), is his coach, and I think we're sitting pretty. I'll get flamed for this, but I think he'll at least be a better starter in the NFL then Vince Young, and probably Leinart as well.

We got a new DC, Jim Bates, who is very well respected around the league. His defenses always finish in the top ten. We've gotten Dre Bly. I dare you to pass on us. Henry andn Graham. Killer running attack, and Graham will be deadly in a two TE set with Tony Scheffler in goal line situations, particularly because our WRs are 6'4" and 6'5". Add the draft, where hopefully we will aquire a pass rush, and we will be a very good team.

I also think people are overrating SD. Their entire coaching staff was gutted. You've got to remember, Norv Turner took over the Raiders when they were a very good team. Jerry Rice said he was an awful coach. His lifetime record against the AFC West is a grand total of three wins. I'm not saying the Chargers WON'T be good next year, but past history shows that Norv Turner can make good teams very bad.

So, I hope you've enjoyed this little novel on the Broncos chances...

Never mind the fact that Pittsburgh DESTROYED Denver in the playoffs the year before at Mile High. Or that it really wasn't a destruction last year, but a few big plays in a game that the Steelers handily outgained them.

People are underestimating the Steelers a little this year IMO b/c I expect Roethlisberger to be over the issues he had last year. I think they will miss Porter though.

I do think you make some good points in your post. But I will say that the Broncos still have more upgrades to do on defense. A D-coordinator isn't going to change the fact that you don't have a very good D-line right now.

Denver's still a dark horse at this moment.

I see the Colts being hit by departures, and the Bolts being hit by the coaching carousel. I do not see either team crippled by those hits.

I see the Pats as greatly improved, ditto the Broncs, in terms of talent. The difference is that Denver isn't even in the playoffs most years, and they play in a division still owned by the Bolts as of now. Until proven otherwise, they're fighting for a wild-card spot. I think they're over the hump to where they are the team that "should" win one of the 2 wild-cards, but that still doesn't make them a lock to even make it.

I don't think that's the same thing as a "super bowl" contender.

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes