PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stephen Neal vs. Brock Lesnar 1999 NCAA Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a pretty decent article on Neal that was written leading up to the 3rd SB. He talks about how wrestling skills help in football as well as his background and coming into the league:

http://www.usoc.org/73_30185.htm

At the 2000 Olympic Trials and 2001 World Team Trials, he lost in the finals to a talented Kerry McCoy and was No. 2 in the USA in freestyle wrestling. The summer after the 2001 Trials, he decided to become a pro football player. Fellow Olympic medalist wrestler Matt Ghaffari introduced Neal to a friend who was involved with pro football. Neal ended up with a football tryout. He did so well that he was signed and invited to training camp with the New England Patriots. At the end of camp, he was cut by the Patriots.

“When he got back home after that first training camp, he saw how down I was about him getting cut,” said Kerr. “He said to me, ‘It’s all right; I am going to get picked up.’ Now, 32 teams just let 30 guys go, so how can Stephen think he is going to get picked up? But he was right.”

The Philadelphia Eagles placed Neal on their practice squad, and he played with them most of the year, until the Patriots took him back for their practice squad near the end of the season. That was the year New England won its first Super Bowl, and Neal won his first Super Bowl ring.

He was on the active roster that last two years, but injuries kept him from finding out how good a football player he could be. This year, injury free, Neal made the starting lineup and has been a strong contributor to the offense.

And here's a pretty good compilation highlight video of Neal manhandling some people. You can tell from his balance and leverage why he's a good football player:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9GmTruIdFc

Last edited:
He wasn't really stashed..he had a very severe shoulder problem...injured in 02...and then on PUP in 03 and IRed. because it wasn't healed...

I clearly remember Neal played in the Pats loss vs. the Packers in '02. The most memorable moment in that game was the Pats botched play where Brady threw a backward pass that Faulk didn't catch and Neal had the awareness to pounce on the live ball, and thats where he got injured.

I believe the school did NOT have a football program..so he could only wrestle...he is an incredible athlete...but the fact that Lesnar and others can not do it..just shows how hard it is...and how much dedication is needed to really make it and do that.

You're right... I checked the Cal-State Bakersfield athletics site and they didn't have football there.

In the case of Lesnar, it does make you wonder if Neal was part of his inspiration to give the NFL a try.

Actually, the Eagles, I believe, signed him as a UDFA. Belichick signed Neal off their practice squad, then stashed him on IR for two years. It took a long time for Neal to get where he is today, but he's definitely one of the more athletic linemen in the league, even if overall he's just a smidge above average.

Actually BB signed Neal 1st, as a UDFA, waived him and then the Eagles signed him. Then BB signed him off there practice squad:

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=playerbio&bio=12370

so the Pats now have someone who out-wrestled the current UFC HW champ:rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back