PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steph hammers NFL on Elliot shenanigans

Skeptical as well, but hope springs. . . .

Unfortunately I don't think Goody is going anywhere. All these owner talk big but at the end of the day it's about the 32.

PS: I like your new (? hadn't noticed before) avatar. :)

Yea I changed it last night when I watched DYJ Part 1 (again). :).

I find Ernie and everything that comes with him fascinating. Football geek. BB's partner in crime for 40+ years. Worked on Wall St as a bond analyst and had his own investment firm.

Last edited:
"Punitive-focused approaches are typically not recommended for employers as they take away control of the abused and may deter reporting."

may deter reporting.

This is the crux of the problem. How many women will look at what the NFL has done to players accused of domestic violence, see those players' careers ruined and think, "I can't do that to our life"?

Your post should be winnered a thousand times.

When Roger said "She wouldn't testify" as the reason for Josh Brown's one game suspension I knew he had never consulted a DV organization in regards to constructing an effective DV policy.

Roger's continued ignorance has put women in a DV hell hole.

No woman married to an NFL player will file a police report against their husband knowing that her children and her family could lose everything they have because of it. Not to mention the fifty other fear based reasons a woman refuses to testify.

Any policy should be geared in a way that removes the responsibility of action away from the victim.

For example;

- Police report equals mandatory DV counseling but not suspension or financial loss.
- Allows courts to decide penalty. The NFL could respond to the conviction but not prior to.
- In some cases allow the woman's participation in the process to reduce the possible penalty. IOW, the victim's participation would be seen as a benefit.

And most of all invite a legitimate DV org to navigate the policy.

Anyways my 2 cents. Roger is a piece of ****.

Best post in the thread.

...but I doubt anything will come of this as Goody just received an extension.

No. Goodell has not received the extension yet. Rumors were that it was close, but it hasn't happened yet.

No. Goodell has not received the extension yet. Rumors were that it was close, but it hasn't happened yet.
Meh....its a formality.

You had me at Steph Stradley.

She was such a gr8 supporter to have on our side when the Pats were getting screwed by the NFL*.

As Dallas fans should be learning, and unfortunately fans of other teams as well, she is a gr8 ally and will have your back vs the corrupt NFL* and tells it like it is.

If Pats can't win it all I would like for Houston to win it. Steph deserves the happiness.

Last edited:
Not a formality when Jerry Jones is one of the Owners who has to sign off on it.. Same with Kraft..

It would be the biggest shocker ever if Goody was not re-up'd

Your post should be winnered a thousand times.

When Roger said "She wouldn't testify" as the reason for Josh Brown's one game suspension I knew he had never consulted a DV organization in regards to constructing an effective DV policy.

Roger's continued ignorance has put women in a DV hell hole.

No woman married to an NFL player will file a police report against their husband knowing that her children and her family could lose everything they have because of it. Not to mention the fifty other fear based reasons a woman refuses to testify.

Any policy should be geared in a way that removes the responsibility of action away from the victim.

For example;

- Police report equals mandatory DV counseling but not suspension or financial loss.
- Allows courts to decide penalty. The NFL could respond to the conviction but not prior to.
- In some cases allow the woman's participation in the process to reduce the possible penalty. IOW, the victim's participation would be seen as a benefit.

And most of all invite a legitimate DV org to navigate the policy.

Anyways my 2 cents. Roger is a piece of ****.

Maybe a suspension but they still get paid. It would take care of the issue you guys are rightfully raising, but it would still be a punishment. If nothing else, the TEAM gets hit with the punishment (for the player not being available to play, PLUS paying him on top of it), so maybe it will help create a culture within a team of - hey on this team we don't do that.

Do I believe that the NFL should have a Personal Conduct Policy that applies off the playing field? Yes, I believe it should. Do I believe that the current policy is good? No. It's horrible. For all the reasons that Stradley mentioned.

I agree with you on personal conduct regulations generally.

My question was somewhat different. If the personal conduct policy were limited to convictions (actual adjudications of guilt), then it is easily executed and based on assessments by institutionally competent professional investigators operating under legal constraints often designed to protect victims of offenses.

Specific to unadjudicated allegations of domestic violence, as you have here, do you believe the NFL should be involved in these concerns? In the military, we issued protective orders in order to stabilize a domestic concern, and we had nearly unlimited authority to control military personnel in all aspects of life (the military offered programs, counseling and protection in a more global approach). Those orders had the force of law. I am unaware of any attempt by private enterprise to do what this policy purports to do (self-policing allegations).

My concern with the NFL and this issue, post-Ray Rice, is that this program is nothing more than window dressing in a PR scam designed to placate the masses through a "we don't endorse domestic abusers" approach designed to help avoid economic protests in response to inaction. The NFL added well known prosecutors to give it the appearance of legitimacy (which I find odd they are still working for the NFL post-Josh Brown incident).

I abhor domestic violence (having spent some time in criminal court, I will acknowledge there are some very strange stories and not every claim is necessarily valid). But I cannot fathom a way the NFL, other than acting off of criminal convictions, can do more good than harm in these unadjudicated cases. Even former prosecutors, if employed as other than window dressing, when stripped of agent and police investigative support, lack the resources to make this work.

Our ally Sally Jenkins published a good article on the subject today:

Perspective | Only Roger Goodell could turn Ezekiel Elliott into a sympathetic figure

Some quotes:

It’s time for NFL owners to rethink the powers of the commissioner, for the sake of their own business reputations, which are being sullied. Roger Goodell uses his office as if he’s a blackjack-wielding tough from the 1920s with a crank-starting car. Every other league has seen fit to go to a mature, modern system of neutral arbitration in player discipline cases, for the simple reason that it works better for all. Meanwhile, the NFL lingers in a previous century thanks to one man’s ego....

Owners must be careful here. Chronic misconduct by the league office threatens to have a competitive impact, to make audiences question the integrity of the game on the field. This is conduct truly detrimental.

The pattern of events is always the same: It starts with a botched investigation that omits crucial facts....

So now there is another hard-to-justify penalty from a commissioner who seems more fit to assign detentions in a Victorian boarding school than manage adult human resource problems in the 21st century. Inevitably, the league is tied up in an expensive, damaging, fan-alienating public lawsuit....

Ask any legal expert what they make of it, and what you get is rueful bemusement. I called four renowned legal minds, and this is what they had to say....

The problem is that Goodell is not willing to fix it but clings to his power like hair spray to hair....

Would it be stupid for the NFL to give the players fair process? No it wouldn’t,” arbitrator Abrams said. “Fairness is a good thing.”​

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back