PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stats analysis on Meriweather's decline....its not pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

reflexblue

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I guess BM wasn't very good after all. I defended him in the past but these states don't lye. He was rated 79th out of 85 safeties last year.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...2625-stats-analysis-meriweathers-decline.html

Maybe most condemning is PFF's overall rating, which assigns plus/minus grades based on a player's ratings in four categories (run defense, pass rush, pass coverage, and penalty). If 0 suggests a league-average player -- one that neither hurts nor helps his team -- Meriweather graded out at -10.1 during the regular season, tied for 79th among the 85 safeties that played at least 25 percent of their teams snaps last season.

Yea, read the same article, I read Meriweather completely wrong thought he was more effective than that... it was time for him to go.

Good luck in Chicago, maybe they will let him freelance there..

And why cant i see this page? i wanna know how BM sucked.

I guess BM wasn't very good after all. I defended him in the past but these states don't lye. He was rated 79th out of 85 safeties last year.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...2625-stats-analysis-meriweathers-decline.html

Maybe most condemning is PFF's overall rating, which assigns plus/minus grades based on a player's ratings in four categories (run defense, pass rush, pass coverage, and penalty). If 0 suggests a league-average player -- one that neither hurts nor helps his team -- Meriweather graded out at -10.1 during the regular season, tied for 79th among the 85 safeties that played at least 25 percent of their teams snaps last season.

PFF stats are like a stopped clock.

Belichick's Patriots have a history of safeties playing well and then disappearing.

Lawyer Milloy
Tebucky Jones
Eugene Wilson
Brandon Meriweather

Only Rodney Harrison seemed like a rock back there.

We have had a carousel of coaching at that position as well.

It hasn't been too stable.

Belichick's Patriots have a history of safeties playing well and then disappearing.

Lawyer Milloy
Tebucky Jones
Eugene Wilson
Brandon Meriweather

No it hasn't been very stable. Jones and Wilson truly Sucked, Milloy was very good but want to much coin, I thought BM would turn out better than he did.

I cannot believe people are quoting PFF stats. Don't you realize that these so called "stats" are compiled by amateur "colunters" watching network TV feeds. You know the feeds where you CAN'T see the entire secondary. Where you are just guessing about the original alignments and assignments.

And as for the stats above. All they show is that BM had a good year in 09, and a bad year in 10. I'm not questioning BB cutting him (though it is curious to think that he wasn't better than the kid from UMass. MY guess there is more to this decision than just talent). I just can't believe the legitimacy this site gets, DESPITE the known flaws in their data gathering and analysis.

I cannot believe people are quoting PFF stats. Don't you realize that these so called "stats" are compiled by amateur "colunters" watching network TV feeds. You know the feeds where you CAN'T see the entire secondary. Where you are just guessing about the original alignments and assignments.

And as for the stats above. All they show is that BM had a good year in 09, and a bad year in 10. I'm not questioning BB cutting him (though it is curious to think that he wasn't better than the kid from UMass. MY guess there is more to this decision than just talent). I just can't believe the legitimacy this site gets, DESPITE the known flaws in their data gathering and analysis.
If i had know the site was held in contempt i would never have started the thread.

Last edited:
If i had know the site was held in contempt i would never have started the thread.....seriously.

"Contempt" is putting it very kindly, might as well use comments from gameday threads to evaluate player performance.

Agreed. The lack of a pass rush last year had nothing to do with more passes being given up last year by BM????

Last edited:

I remember him specifically being officially benched before the Phins game in Oct '10. Belichick probably watches 60 hours of tape a week during a light week so its possible he saw some of the same themes that the "colunters" tabulated. I'm thinking that he made the cut analyzing what he saw in practice, and no one in the public domain has access to those tapes.

Last edited:
How about posting that 2 days ago?

BW was at the safety position what a guy like Vince Young is at the QB position - box o' rocks from the neck up. At a position that is your last line of defense and does require some intelligence, the all or nothing approach can't be taken upon by a dude who clearly ain't a rocket scientist. Unlike Rodney, whose an intelligent/articulate guy, I doubt we are going to see Brandon and his Predator haircut as an analyst at any point in his career. He'll probably retire off to run a cartel down in Coral Springs.

When I think of BW and his decline, I most clearly remember that NO game on the road a couple seasons ago where Brees lit him up like a Xmas tree.

Lawyer Milloy
Tebucky Jones
Eugene Wilson
Brandon Meriweather

I don't think BB values this position as much as the players value themselves. He hasn't wanted to overpay, in the instance of Milloy.

This isn't surprising to me.

The closer Meriweather came to his contract year, the more he thumbed his nose at a defensive scheme that minimized taking chances.

Instead he was probably more inclined to go for the big plays to pad his stats and paycheck in a contract year.

This isn't the first time we've seen defensive players on the Patriots complain about a system that put wins ahead of personal stats... and it's not the first time we've seen Belichick cut such players too.

Yeah, yeah...... I get all that.......... but I coupled those amateur "counters" stats that with my own amateur "eyeball" stats that actually watched BM suck donkey balls in coverage last year and concluded pretty much the same thing BB did.

See ya Merri.... good luck in Chicago. ;)

Last edited:

Your in good company. Mike Reiss of ESPN, Shalise Manza Young of the Globe, Ian Rapoport of the Herald, Christopher Price all quote PFF in their analysis of the Patriots. Would you rather be in their company or in agreement with "Joe Blow Message board guy" ? Your choice.

Understand that PFF does not rate Tom Brady as highly as they should. Thus many Pats fans want it dead. You'll hear stuff about every player on every team is rated for every play using television film , also that their reviewers are not scouts, etc, etc. Trust me, it all comes down to the Brady issue.

Last edited:
Your in good company. Mike Reiss of ESPN, Shalise Manza Young of the Globe, Ian Rapoport of the Herald, Christopher Price all quote PFF in their analysis of the Patriots. Would you rather be in their company or in agreement with "Joe Blow Message board guy" ? Your choice.

Understand that PFF does not rate Tom Brady as highly as they should. Thus many Pats fans want it dead. You'll hear stuff about every player on every team is rated for every play using television film , also that their reviewers are not scouts, etc, etc. Trust me, it all comes down to the Brady issue.

People here have been pointing out PFF sucking since long before the Brady stuff came out. Look, I don't care that you get paid by them, or work for them, or whatever the hell it is that makes you shill for them like a carnival barker, but don't start lying about them. They used to keep a warning on their own site about a 20% error rate, so laying this off on other people instead of them is just asinine on your part.

And media quoting something doesn't make it true. Anyone who's followed news at any level could tell you that.

Thank you for taking the bait. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand