PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Statistically, the 2007 and 2004 Patriots are the two most dominant teams to ever play pro football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-best-nfl-teams-of-all-time-according-to-elo/

Despite losing the Super Bowl, the 2007 Patriots rank first all-time by Elo — in fact, they’re the only team with a composite rating higher than 1800. The 2004 Pats are right behind them in second place; those two editions of the Patriots are the only teams in pro football history to end a season with an Elo of more than 1800. Many readers will doubtless slap an asterisk on their accomplishments, what with Spygate, Deflategate, Radiogate and the like. But in the sense of pure statistical dominance, Elo says the best Patriots teams have no historical equal.8

Thank you coach Belichick :)

I'm partial to 2004. Obviously cause of the final win. But more because Corey Dillon was a beast and watching him role over people was so beautiful.

I'm partial to 2004. Obviously cause of the final win. But more because Corey Dillon was a beast and watching him role over people was so beautiful.

Clock-killin' Corey Dillon :cool:

Anybody wonder why the 1973 Miami Dolphins were ranked only in 6th place?

Last edited:
Because they played like 2 teams with winning records all year. I think that had something to do with it.

Clock-killin' Corey Dillon :cool:

Anybody wonder why the 1972 Miami Dolphins were ranked only in 6th place?

Not to nit-pick but they actually have the 1973 Dolphins listed - not the 1972 Dolphins.

Shula has said that the 1971 team was more talented than the 72 team, but not as tough. He also said that the 73 team, which also won the SB he is on record as while it lost two games, was a better team than the 72 team.

I wonder what BB would say about the 04 and 07 teams if you gave him a dose of sodium pentothal.

What? Look at my post. I have no idea what you're talking about :D
You are alright, CEO. I've been screwing up posts all week.

At least I try and add a little value with the post.

Not to nit-pick but they actually have the 1973 Dolphins listed - not the 1972 Dolphins.

Shula has said that the 1971 team was more talented than the 72 team, but not as tough. He also said that the 73 team, which also won the SB he is on record as while it lost two games, was a better team than the 72 team.

I wonder what BB would say about the 04 and 07 teams if you gave him a dose of sodium pentothal.

I'm confident he would say the '04 team was better. The d-line was better, the linebackers were better, particularly with pre-stroke Bruschi. Harrison was still in a his pseudo-prime, they had a stud RB, etc. etc. The main arguments for '07 are Brady had hit his peak by then, the WRs were better in '07, and the CBs were better in '07 once you account for injury. Those are all compelling points, but even as a fan by the time the end of their respective seasons came around I felt that the '04 team was better. The '07 team was more dominant out of the gate, but they tapered off a bit as the season went along.

I read that 2010 was the patriots best season in there history statistically either that or offense wise only

I'm confident he would say the '04 team was better. The d-line was better, the linebackers were better, particularly with pre-stroke Bruschi. Harrison was still in a his pseudo-prime, they had a stud RB, etc. etc. The main arguments for '07 are Brady had hit his peak by then, the WRs were better in '07, and the CBs were better in '07 once you account for injury. Those are all compelling points, but even as a fan by the time the end of their respective seasons came around I felt that the '04 team was better. The '07 team was more dominant out of the gate, but they tapered off a bit as the season went along.

I'm in the 04 camp as well. Always have been.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Look what the 04 patriots did to colts in playoffs with prime manning Harrison Wayne James Clark freeney etc and look what they did to the 15-1 steelers...dominating

Number one offense of all time held to 3 points and scoring 41 points on a 15-1 team with one of the best defenses of all time

Harrison was still in a his pseudo-prime

Pseudo-prime? Pseudo-prime?! :mad: :cool:

Harrison may have been the best player in the entire league in 2004. He was incredible that year and deserves almost all the credit for keeping the secondary together.

Otherwise we agree. Beyond being more complete, the 2004 team actually outscored 2007 from midseason on. I've had numerous arguments with opposing fans that that squad could go toe-to-toe with any in the history of the NFL. Good to see some support for this. :)

You are alright, CEO. I've been screwing up posts all week.

At least I try and add a little value with the post.

haha, I was being sarcastic. I went back and edited my post before I wrote that ;)

Great post by the way....

The '07 team was more dominant out of the gate, but they tapered off a bit as the season went along.

I can't argue with that. The 04' was simply spectacular in the postseason, while the 07' team was trending downwards during the playoffs, and bottomed out by the time they reached the Super Bowl, putting up the fewest number of points they had all season ....a really tragic ending to a team that was a real joy to watch as a Pats fan.

Last edited:
Best moment ever...Deion branch doing the end around for a touchdown against the Steelers and after beating the safety he waves bye-bye to the defensive backs as they chase him from behind.

And You look into the crowd and see that most of the seats at Heinz are empty

I read that 2010 was the patriots best season in there history statistically either that or offense wise only

It was one of the best ever, because it was so efficient and so good/lucky at avoiding TOs late in the season. As Football Outsiders put it:

They had the best offense when losing and the best offense when winning. They had the best offense in the red zone, and in any other 20-yard split on the field except when backed up behind their own 20. They had the best offense at home, and the best offense on the road. They had the best offense from shotgun, and the best offense with the quarterback under center. They had the best offense before halftime, and the best offense after halftime. They had the best offense in a boat, and the best offense with a goat.

I think that was the best Pat's team ever. I may be wrong, but that team might have been the first team ever to win a Super Bowl after losing their two starting CBs to injuries. A 2nd year 4th round corner (Assante Sanuel ) and a rookie free agent (Randall Gay) took over for Ty Law and Tyrone Poole, both wound up on IR. That to me is mind boggling. And also made Corey Dillon an important factor due to his great running (and clock killin) helped keep that defense fresh.

Had some great defensive players to help make up for the loss of those 2 corners. Beating Indy 20-3 in the 1st playoff game, a team who scored the most points ever in an NFL season (up to that point), just shocking. Then to march into Pittsburgh and crush them by putting up 34 points + a pick 6 by Rodney Harrison, wow. I remember Brady was absolutely deadly in that game, hitting Branch all game including a perfect throw on a bomb pass for a TD. That team was the best Patriot's team, hands down, followed up by the 2003 team (which started 2-2 then won 15 games in a row !!), then the 2014 team, then the 2001 team. I don't count the 2007 team. I don't care about ELO (great band) or whatever the hell this article is talking about.

Think about those 2003 and 2004 teams, a combined record of 34-4. Holy schnickes, that is ridiculously dominant.

I think that was the best Pat's team ever. I may be wrong, but that team might have been the first team ever to win a Super Bowl after losing their two starting CBs to injuries. A 2nd year 4th round corner (Assante Sanuel ) and a rookie free agent (Randall Gay) took over for Ty Law and Tyrone Poole, both wound up on IR. That to me is mind boggling. And also made Corey Dillon an important factor due to his great running (and clock killin) helped keep that defense fresh.

Had some great defensive players to help make up for the loss of those 2 corners. Beating Indy 20-3 in the 1st playoff game, a team who scored the most points ever in an NFL season (up to that point), just shocking. Then to march into Pittsburgh and crush them by putting up 34 points + a pick 6 by Rodney Harrison, wow. I remember Brady was absolutely deadly in that game, hitting Branch all game including a perfect throw on a bomb pass for a TD. That team was the best Patriot's team, hands down, followed up by the 2003 team (which started 2-2 then won 15 games in a row !!), then the 2014 team, then the 2001 team. I don't count the 2007 team. I don't care about ELO (great band) or whatever the hell this article is talking about.

Think about those 2003 and 2004 teams, a combined record of 34-4. Holy schnickes, that is ridiculously dominant.

I take 14 over 03 team. The legion of boom and Seattle team were the defending champions, a far better team than the 03 Carolina Panthers

ELO = Electric Light Orchestra? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents