PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stat Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michigan Dave

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered in another thread, believe it or not I've actually been busy at work today and unable to read the board. I did scan the titles, though.

Anyways, this ESPN article: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/news/story?id=3190542

references Jacksonville as being #1 passing offense since week 10. Brady has averaged 302.85 ypg since that time and Garrard/Gray combined 232.5. Brady has 17 TDs and G/G 19 in 1 more game (regular season-only.) Does anyone know what they are referencing? Maybe team passer rating?

i believe it, the guy twisted the stats to get that result....

i mean, he came away with the jags running game being more efficient last 8 weeks for the pats then the jags...and that tells u something

The Patriots are actually pretty efficient at running the ball, they just haven't ran that often. I'm sure there is some cherry-picking of the stats here. Also note that they do not actually show you any of the stats.

Sorry if this has been answered in another thread, believe it or not I've actually been busy at work today and unable to read the board. I did scan the titles, though.

Anyways, this ESPN article: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/news/story?id=3190542

references Jacksonville as being #1 passing offense since week 10. Brady has averaged 302.85 ypg since that time and Garrard/Gray combined 232.5. Brady has 17 TDs and G/G 19 in 1 more game (regular season-only.) Does anyone know what they are referencing? Maybe team passer rating?

This is based on footballoutsiders.com and their DVOA rating.

"The guy" is the well-known Aaron Schatz, who runs the Football Outsiders site. They analyze the game in a more sophisticated fashion than by just looking at the normal stats, similar in some ways to how Sabremetrics approaches baseball.

A key to their stats is their own charting of games play-by-play, looking not just at the statistical result but at the "success" of a play. For example, a 2 yard run on third and 2 from the 2 looks statistically the same as a 2 yard run on third and 10 from your own 20, but the first results in a TD and the latter results in a punt. Similarly, a thord down 2 yard run that produces a first down is more valuable than a third down 8 yard run which does not. The plays are weighted accordingly and also weighted based upon how good the defense is, generating a stat named DVOA.

It's more complicated than that, but if they say the Jags passing has been better lately I believe them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore