PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stafford, Winston possibilities for Pats in 2021?

Trubisky or Stafford: fine. No thanks on Winston: his mind is jacked beyond repair.

If I had to pick one, it'd be Stafford. He's good, and I think he might be the best fit for Bill World, where - let's be honest - not everyone can thrive.
I have the feeling Trubisky's name is mentioned because his name isn't Newton. But it would be only a matter of time before he would belong in the same sentence as Cam. We see Cam's flaws every week. We tend to like the players from other teams because they have to be better, right?

I work for a company that buys bad ideas, and I listen to people pitch hundreds of ridiculous, terrible, idiotic ideas every day. Each is worse than the last.

This is the worst idea I’ve ever heard.
Do tell?
[ I'd like to short your stock. ;) ]

People need to get away from this "we shouldn't ever pay a QB market rate" thing because they are used to brady taking bargain contracts.

If you expect to go bargain shopping at QB you are going to get bargain production.

What brady did was an outlier and not the norm to be expected. At some point you are going to have to pay a good player if you want to keep them

Winston is an interesting case because he finally got LASIK this past offseason to finally fix his questionable eyesight (astigmatism) which probably significantly affected his play because he refused to wear contact lenses. It begs the question, though: why didn't he get it sooner (besides understandable fear)? He was my choice of "take a flyer on a QB vet for pittance" in the previous offseason, but now I don't really have an opinion in the matter.

---------
"The offseason LASIK procedure is notable given Winston's historic interception woes last season, when he became the first quarterback in NFL history to throw 30 touchdowns and 30 picks. The surgery helped correct the nearsightedness that Winston has had going back to his days at Florida State, in addition to astigmatism, a defect in the curvature of the eye or lens."

"I can read license plates. I can read street signs, I think the precision in the vision is the biggest difference... No blurriness, and I think that's huge," Winston told reporters about his eyesight after the procedure. "Depth perception has increased tremendously and those are the big things. I didn't have bad eyes, I just had astigmatism. I had certain things that they had to fix to increase the precision and the sharpness of my vision."

Wild Thing from Major League

No way on Stafford. He’s awful and the lions are too close to ohio

has Winston learned about ball security this past year under Payton?

Why not consider D. Carr/M. Mariotta from Las Vegas or Mike Glennon as a Free Agent. Las Vegas is going to have cap issues due to the salary cap drop and may be willing to let go of Mariotta or Carr to clear cap space. Mike Glennon has bounced around; would like to see what he can do when given the opportunity to compete for a starting job. I really interested in see when Ryan Finley does tomorrow night against the Steelers.

Whoever we bring in needs to have balls. I have little to no patience for cowardly game managers. I'd rather try to rein in a gunslinger than find a heart for the lion.

I have seen Cam play a bunch of times and he consistently took shots down the field especially to Ted Ginn and was capable of throwing accurate balls to Christian McCaffrey. We didn't get this version of Cam, but this experiment hasn't deterred me from wanting us to swing for something outside of the box. Stafford is a perennial loser(like Sam Bradford) and Winston is mentally handicapped but I would take a stab at either over our current qb situation.

1. Winston is a disaster who digs his team into holes. If you dislike Newton you don’t want Winston

2. are you guys willing to pay 35-50 million for a 12 year vet in Stafford.

2b. Why would Stafford pick here?

Any chance I know I’m basically throwing myself to the Wolve.
But getting Luck out of retirement and giving Indy the first.
Otherwise trade up for Wilson.
Or make Jimmy Grap a Bionic suit and trade backsies for him.
Brady really screwed us here.
I’m convinced Stidham was caught by BB having sex with every woman he’s ever cared about

A long time ago in a galaxy far away. BB resurrected the career of a former Heisman and #1 overall draft pick. BB brought Vinny Testaverde to Cleveland in 93 after a disasterous career in TB. Jameis can sling it. Maybe, a year sitting and watching a very good franchise run things in NO will turn the light on for him. Doubt he gets a big deal. Maybe, he can talk Godwin into joining him.

A long time ago in a galaxy far away. BB resurrected the career of a former Heisman and #1 overall draft pick. BB brought Vinny Testaverde to Cleveland in 93 after a disasterous career in TB. Jameis can sling it. Maybe, a year sitting and watching a very good franchise run things in NO will turn the light on for him. Doubt he gets a big deal. Maybe, he can talk Godwin into joining him.
Or we convince Godwin to come to foxboro by saying we will sign Winston.

Stafford is a good QB. When has he ever had to top 10 defense outside of 2014? When has he ever had a running game?? When has he had a decent head coach??? When has he ever had stability within the organization???? I believe he’d do well here.
Stafford has built a career putting up numbers between the 20s and in the middle of games, and usually coming up short in tough game deciding situations.
Good stat compiler, not a winner.
Could the factors you mention overcome that? Sure it’s possible but not likely.

If he isn’t going to turn out better than vinny no thanks.

Stafford will cost big money to trade and sign. He is only 32. I am all for it but doubt Bill wants to give up draft capital and pay him.
Stafford is already under contract through 2022. Why would Bill have to pay him before that?

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back