PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sox Batting Order

maverick4

Banned
Reaction score
From articles it looks like Francona wants to alternate Righty-Left through the first 6 batters, but Youk is going to hit clean up.

Really?

Jason Bay should be hitting clean-up and Youk should be at #6. Youk isn't scaring anybody as a clean up hitter, and he's going to negatively impact David Ortiz' pitches as well.

From articles it looks like Francona wants to alternate Righty-Left through the first 6 batters, but Youk is going to hit clean up.

Really?

Jason Bay should be hitting clean-up and Youk should be at #6. Youk isn't scaring anybody as a clean up hitter, and he's going to negatively impact David Ortiz' pitches as well.
i like youk in the 4 hole. he proved last year he belongs there with his mvp like performance.

Youkilis was the best power hitter on the team last season, and was the third best power hitter in the AL (in terms of SLG). He was an all around better hitter than Bay, so it makes the most sense to bat him cleanup over Bay. If he shows that 2008 was a fluke and he won't continue to have that type of power, then they should move him. But until then, he should hit cleanup.

I also like Youk hitting cleanup.

Youk is the best player on the team, no way he hits 6th.

Look at Youkilis and Jason Bay's power numbers over the past 5 years. It's not even close. Bay is also an on-base machine. I love Youkilis, but he is not a clean-up hitter, and he's going to make life harder for David Ortiz as well who is going to face pitchers not afraid of the #4 hitter like they were of Manny.

actually if we do not try to spare anyone feelings, the line up should be Youk 3rd, Bay 4th, and Papi 5th...but that messes up the righty lefty infatuation managers have and if we bat Papi 5th, he would cry and mope worse than when they took his Manny away

Last edited:
With men on base, the hitter I most want to see up at the plate is Youk. I'm guessing that that is most likely to occur as the cleanup hitter comes up.

That would be interesting, and I would be in favor for it if Papi wasn't on my fantasy baseball team right now.

i wish i never opened this thread. wasted time i can never get back.

That would be interesting, and I would be in favor for it if Papi wasn't on my fantasy baseball team right now.

Why the hell did you draft Papi...i quit doing that two years ago :)

Youk had a higher OBP, slg%, OPS+, more RBI, fewer SO's, and only 2 fewer homers, but with 39 fewer AB's. I don't see a problem with batting Youk clean up. He's a clutch hitter who would seem to excell in such a pressure filled spot in the batting order.

I feel pretty certain the regular batting order will be:

Ellsbury
Pedroia
Ortiz
Youk
Drew
Bay
Lowell
Tek
Lowrie

Speed leading off, L-R-L-R-L-R-R-S-S, Ortiz at #3 where he is comfortable. I'd personally rather have Drew moved up and Ellsbury moved down (in the process moving Bay up to at least 5th), but it doesn't realy matter and I have no real complaints starting the season with the above lineup.

Says the genius who said Dice-K would be a bust.
when did i ever say that? arent you the clown who said doc rivers is a lousy coach? lmao

Last edited:

The same Kevin Youkilis who finished 2nd in the MVP voting? News flash: Kevin Youkilis is a better hitter than David Ortiz.

The same Kevin Youkilis who finished 2nd in the MVP voting? News flash: Kevin Youkilis is a better hitter than David Ortiz.

You may be right. But Ortiz and Bay have better careers/overall production so far. If Youk can keep up his great season last year, then I'm okay with him at cleanup.

You may be right. But Ortiz and Bay have better careers/overall production so far. If Youk can keep up his great season last year, then I'm okay with him at cleanup.

What david ortiz and jason bay HAVE DONE is irrelevant. What they will do next year is what is relevant, and David Ortiz is old, declined last year, and has injury issues. Kevin Youkilis, on the other hand, is a stud just coming into his prime, and has improved every year.

What david ortiz and jason bay HAVE DONE is irrelevant. What they will do next year is what is relevant

Well, many would say that a predictor of future performance is past performance, and aside from injury, Ortiz and Bay have been great producers.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back