PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Something new in the NFL? NFL requires an OL to wear a microphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I read in the paper that Matt Birk was fined $5000 by the NFL for taking off a microphone that he was suppose to wear. He said it came loose and was pushing into his skin. He is appealing the fine.

It went on to say that a center or guard of every team is required to wear a microphone.

Now this is news to me and I know everything about football.:cool: So how does this work? Do Connolly, Mankins and Waters get together before a game and play rock,sissors, paper to see who wears the mike?

How many of you knew about this rule before reading it here? Be honest or your nose will grow.

EDIT: Here is a linky.

Matt Birk fined $5,000 for not wearing a microphone | ProFootballTalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Something new in th NFL?

I assume this has something to do with defensive lines mimicking snap counts?

It's for TV companies to get a better "ambient" game sound Mort was talking about it when Kreutz refused to wear one.

He was protesting about other teams being able to get the sound from these new mics and using them to pick up teams calls etc.

I read in the paper that Matt Birk was fined $5000 by the NFL for taking off a microphone that he was suppose to wear. He said it came loose and was pushing into his skin. He is appealing the fine.

It went on to say that a center or guard of every team is required to wear a microphone.

Now this is news to me and I know everything about football.:cool: So how does this work? Does Connerley, Mankins and Waters get together before a game and play rock,sissors, paper to see who wears the mike?

How many of you knew about this rule before reading it here? Be honest or your nose will grow.

Funny you bring this up as I just learned this myself not long ago.

NBC sports said that the mics are hooked up to players by NFL films technicians for the purpose of recording the sounds of the trench battles between lineman, and giving fans the opportunity to hear what it sounds like during the broadcast. I'm not sure if I buy this, as they, like another poster stated, might be looking for players imitating snap counts.

Either way if the mic is " pushing into a player's skin" and causing him discomfort, then it's only natural for him to want to remove it. Who knows what a mic getting forced into your skin by a charging 300 lbs. Man feels like. Perhaps it affects his game.

Whatever the reason for the mic, fining a player for removing it, for this reason, is absurd I think.

Here's a link to where I first read about it....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ams-will-have-offensive-linemen-wearing-mics/

Last edited:
Re: Something new in the NFL?

Now this is news to me and I know everything about football.:cool: So how does this work? Does Connerley, Mankins and Waters get together before a game and play rock,sissors, paper to see who wears the mike?

I knew about this. Remember Goody's statements promising owners he'd greatly increase NFL revenues by 2020? Expect lots of media enhanced gimmicks, which will be "free" at first and later by paid subscription.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft