In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
some intriguing guys left

cb azumah
lb boulware
ot orlando brown
dl br. buckner
wr burleson (restricted)
wr antonio chatman (restricted and short)
cb nate clements
lb sam cowart
wr kevin curtis (restricted)
rb najeh davenport
lb na'il diggs
cb andre dyson (injuries have kept him from being talked about more)
qb jay fiedler (flutie has to be done)
cb jamar fletcher
lb nick greisen
cb reggie howard
wr keyshawn
lb brad kassell
wr quincy morgan
lb julian peterson (for now)
lb tommy polley
te jeb putzier (would make one nasty trio)
ot jon runyan
ot ephraim salaam
lb jamie sharper
lb brandon short
rb jerald sowell
lb ben taylor
rb anthony thomas
rb labrandon toefield (restricted)
k vanderjerk (yuck)
wr bobby wade
ot kenyatta walker
wr kelley washington (restricted)
rb jonathan wells
wr dez white (used to do a lot in chi)
s tank williams
cb charles woodson

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/fa

I'd be happy with Fiedler as the vet backup. He's smart, knows the AFC east, and has the mobility and talent to be a good scout team QB. If called upon to play for one or two games, he could win when the Pats are supposed to win, relying on the defense. That's all you really need in front of Cassel and behind Brady.

PatsFan37 said:
I'd be happy with Fiedler as the vet backup. He's smart, knows the AFC east, and has the mobility and talent to be a good scout team QB. If called upon to play for one or two games, he could win when the Pats are supposed to win, relying on the defense. That's all you really need in front of Cassel and behind Brady.

Agreed about Fiedler. And isn't Frerotte now available?

I think his starting days are over and he has good experience.

My Flutie Flakes have gotten moldy.

Last edited:
Ferrote just signed with St Louis

I'd be ok with Fielder too but I've been informed by others that BB wouldn't consider a QB with only 4 seasons of starting experience as a "veteran", excluding he and guys like Joey Harrington from consideration.

Last edited:
Moulds or Keyshaun for me would be sweeeet. Let's grab an O-lineman and a RB too. D. Davis and Runyun. Then clean up in the draft! :rocker:

What WOULD it be like if Vanderjerk came here? I'm almost rooting for it to happen just to witness the fallout. Almost. At least WEEI would talk about the Pats a little then.

Looking ar ESPN's FA tracker, there's certainly some players there that would be helpful and if they just did thier jobs, allow other playmakers to flourish. Kind of like the type guys signed going into the 2001 season. It IS only Match 18th and way to early to be making any season predictions

I didn't see Kory Chapman on that list. Did the Colts sign him for more than one year when they grabbed him off our practice squad?

That would have been smart of them as they knew James would likely leave.

I felt Chapman showed a lot of potential and I was hoping he might develop into an RB of the future - woudl love to have him back but I guess that's not about to happen

patsfan55 said:
some intriguing guys left

cb azumah
I'd LOVE to see the Pats sign Azumah. Saw him frequently at UNH, where he set the division I-AA record for career rushing (same year Ricky Williams set it for div I-A). I was a bit shocked when the Bears didn't even give him a shot at RB after drafting him, instead switching him immediately to CB. But, he made the switch quite well, and is a decent, reliable CB (plus a very good kickoff returner, going to the pro bowl for it two years ago or so). He's also just plain a great guy - defintely Patriots material. Being a MA native, and going to school at UNH, I'd bet he'd be happy to come here. He could provide decent CB depth, as well as another KR option (and maybe give him a chance every now and then at RB :) ). Most likely Chicago will re-sign him though I'd think.

There are some other nice CBs on that list (Clements, etc.), but I'd prefer Azumah.

Dez WHite could also be a nice pickup from Chicago....

Clements got franchise.

I'd love Woodson at the right price, or Law..At the right price.

My biggest one is Burleson from the Vikings. He's worth a 3rd round tender, an EXCELLENT deal. Why? You wont get any better value from our 3rd rounder! Not only do we get a clear cut #2 WR, but this is a guy who is easily a #1 WR potential. Please, please do it Beoli!

Didn't Azumah retire due to injury?

Hm, Cato June (Colts LB) is also available. He had a very good year - surprised he's still out there. He's probably too small for the Pats, but he's a pretty good LB.

Maurice Morris could be a decent backup RB. Or James Mungro.

Hm, Peerless Price is still out there.

Tommy Polley

Tommy Polley was an All American Strong Safety in college. The Rams turend him into an undersized coverage LB, who the Patriots and Antowain Smith, ran over in SuperBowl 31.

I still think he could be the SS in the box, that Harrison and Milloy before him were. He's just too small to play LB for the Patriots, and after being exposed by the Pats, maybe everone else too. he does have coverege ability, and obviosuly is a pretty good tackler for a safety after playing LB....

i too was a lil surprised the bears didnt give azumah a chance at rb when the a-train started to do poorly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe