PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some cable operators balk at NFL Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our provider didn't drop the NFL channel, but they're not willing to pay the surcharge to carry the games. They're 'still in negotiations' re. the remaining games. :bricks:

We have an HD Plasma TV with Direct TV and have the NFL Network, so no problems here. I am actually glad that there are games on Thursday now because there is nothing else on anyway! LOL

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 8:52 a.m. EST; UPDATED 9:18 a.m. EST, November 25, 2006
HAVING NFLN DOESN'T MEAN GETTING NFL GAMES

Picture this. You've spent all day eating food and watching football on television and eating food and watching football on television and drinking beer and watching football on television and eating food. The extended family has finally cleared out of the house, the first two NFL games have ended, and the third one is getting started soon.

There's been plenty of controversy in the newspapers about the inability of the NFL and cable companies like Time Warner to strike agreements regarding the addition of the league's in-house network, but it's not an issue for you. Your cable company has NFLN, and while 70 million households will be unable to watch the Chiefs and the Broncos, you'll be gnawing on some more dead turkey while Jake Plummer launches a few wounded ducks.

But then something happens. It's time for the game to start, but it's not on. You grab the remote and punch in the numbers for NFLN again, but instead of the Chiefs and Broncos there's an NFL Films production about some old team from Pottstown.

What the f--k? you shout. Then your wife gently reminds you that your five-year-old son is sitting next to you.

That scene played out in more than a few households on Thursday night, due to the fact that NFLN imposes an additional fee to cable companies for the ability to broadcast live regular-season games, and some cable providers simply chose not to pay it.

The problem is that some of the cable providers who chose not to pay the extra fee apparently neglected to tell their customers that the Thursday night game would not be available.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed via e-mail on Friday that the an extra charge applies. "Yes, fees were adjusted to reflect the value of NFL Network with NFL games, which are the highest-rated programming on television," Aiello said. "Cable operators that carried NFL Network prior to NFL Network acquiring the rights to the games had two choices: [(1)] Carry NFL Network with the game package on terms that 170 cable providers throughout the country have accepted as fair, reasonable, and a good value[; or (2)] Let customers know of their choice in time for them to do something about it. A handful of cable operators apparently chose to do neither."

At a time when Congress already has expressed concern about consumer access to games aired on NFLN, this development is, to say the least, unfortunate. Though we don't question the ability of the NFL to get fairly compensated for its immensely popular product, this strikes us as one of those situations in which the inability of the parties to resolve their differences in a satisfactory manner will result in a third party (i.e., the government) imposing a resolution on them.

Last edited:
I tried to post this a little while ago but it didn't work so I'll try again:

I had NFL Netowork and I didn't think it was that great at all either. Their network consists of two main things.

a) The national media pundits that we constantly complain about on here who either don't know what they are talking about or speak without actually saying anything. They're analysts speak in vague generalities, rarely delve deep enough into any one team. When they do make blunt statements they are often painfully wrong, like Marshall Faulk picking the Dolphins to win the division this year, and Emmitt Smith saying basically there is no way the Colts don't win the Superbowl last year. If I want to see that I can watch ESPN or the pre game shows before games on Sundays.

b) Ever wonder how they can have an ENTIRE network, on 24-7, which only talks about the NFL? The answer is that they have a lot of filler. Prepare to watch the replay of the Seahawks-Rams game four times in one night, not to mention the advertisement for it at every commercial break. They just replay the same stuff to take up time. Even when they don't replay the exact same program, they reuse a lot of the same material, and say the same thing over and over. When I had the NFLN I really couldn't watch it for more than half an hour or so at a time.

Its the kind of thing that you yearn to have when you don't because you think of all the great stuff you are missing, but often when you have it you realize that is just isn't that great. At least that's it was for me. Watching it in small portions was ok, but that sort of defeats the purpose of having a round the clock network.

I only watch football, the NCAA Men's basketball tournament, or the Simpsons. Having the NFL Network is important to me. When I rarely watch TV, I punch in 212 first (NFLN). I like the Replay, Game of the Week, and Point After (i think its called). I don't listen to the Total Access show unless I get a tip a Patriot player will be on. If I want to hear people be wrong about football, its much quicker to pop in here for a quick read. :p

I have the Sunday Ticket which I hate paying for. But I don't miss games. I love it on Sundays but hate it when the bill comes. If I had to pay extra to get NFLN, I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't call the cable company to complain. I would just let economics of supply and demand fight that battle for me. If I was single, I would just get DirecTV for the football season. But my wife likes to watch TV at night. $50+ a month isn't killing us. My DirecTV bill is pretty high with the TIVO, basic package, three receivers, and small service fees. Cable was worse when I had it a few years ago. I know it hasn't gotten any cheaper, either.

DirecTV w/NFL Package is the best for an NFL fan. You can see every game. I love DirecTV with TiVo.

The real pisser is when you have a cable provider that carries the NFL network, but they opted NOT to carry the live NFL. We tuned in to see the game last night, only to see a message informing that we would not be seeing it. So, we have the NFL Network, but no live games. What the HELL was the cable provider thinking? I have Metrocast Cablevision, and I've gone to battle with them many, many times. This is perhaps the last straw.

I'm having this same problem, I have Insight. I called to complain & what they told me was their trying to force the cable companys to carry NFL Network on their standard package, basic cable(now its only offerered if you have digital cable package) and they claim that since they won't do that they would be charging them a huge fee to be able to carry the games live. I don't understand how you can have the channel & they just block a program!

Three points:

1. Get used to having games on NFL Network. On Thursdays AND Saturdays. It's coming.

2. If your cable provider is cheap, consider satellite. DirecTV carries NFL Network as one of the 155 channels that you get with the base Total Choice Package: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/channelChart1.jsp?assetId=900039

They don't have it in HD yet though.

3. NFL Network is awesome during the season, with news programs and player interviews. NFL Films rock. And it is INVALUABLE in the offseason and you need your football fix.

R

Last edited:
I have Dish. When NFLN came out, we did not get it. I completed the form to let Dish know I wanted NFLN. Now we have it. I watch it from time to time. That's it. I would not pay extra for it -- either as a premium offering or via a price increase for basic service. If Dish were to ask, I'd tell them not to keep the light on for me.

NFLN is a missed opportunity.

NFLN has programs, but lacks programming. People 'tune in' to programming. I plan to be around from my TV 1:00 Sunday. I don't know who is playing, but there's football on.

NFLN would be better if...
- there was a replay doubleheader each non-nfl-game-night at, say, 8:00pm
- there were classic game replays -- with stories -- Saturday afternoons
- each team had a news and information block at the same time each week
- there were news programs from 5-7am, at noon, and at 6:00pm.
- they simulcast radio shows to fill the void (a la imus on msnbc)

Or something like that. Thing is, you could tune for some news at a certain time and look forward to a good game at a certain time. Right now, I stop if something looks good on my way to another channel.

I agree there is a lot of repetition. Specific times for each team sounds good, but then people would only tune in for their team. I think they want to avoid that. :D

I am going into my 2nd year and this year their programming has grown and improved from last year. I think they have a plan to expand, but are doing a little bit at a time. I can't fault them for that, they want to be sure they have the costs covered.

I like the network, and during the season it is on 24/7. I only change to see the games and Pats shows on other channels.

The real pisser is when you have a cable provider that carries the NFL network, but they opted NOT to carry the live NFL. We tuned in to see the game last night, only to see a message informing that we would not be seeing it. So, we have the NFL Network, but no live games. What the HELL was the cable provider thinking? I have Metrocast Cablevision, and I've gone to battle with them many, many times. This is perhaps the last straw.

Call Metrocast. I called just to make my voice heard - the woman had a rote speech she read me, and sounded like she had been through it many, many times already. I told her I wanted her higher-ups to know that was our primary reason for upgrading our cable package. She credited us six bucks or some small beans for the month, even though I didn't ask for it, and said they had received hundreds of calls. If enough of us get on them, maybe they'll take their 'negotiations' more seriously. I also asked how we would know if they reached an agreement for the games from here on out - would there be a message on their website? She said she didn't think so, and that the best thing to do would be to call back :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3