PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Slow Your Roll on the Patriots WRs… There's a Long Way to Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else think the Dorsett or Myers or 6 WR discussion is a false choice? DT hasn't played a snap and hasn't had a chance to establish a rapport with Brady even in practice. I'm not sure why the Pats would pay him an extra $2+M to take a roster spot from someone who has earned it. Also, with Gordon on the NFI list, it's possible that the Pats give him time to work in the team facility and get into a good routine for 6 weeks before activating him.

FWIW, I expect to see JE, Harry, PD, Myers and Gordon on the cutdown day roster. That's a pretty solid group, although a bit light in ST contribution compared to most years.

so you don't think they have not been playing together? Thomas could not play in team practices that are regulated by the league. I think Brady and him have been practicing plenty.

Dorsett as of now is more reliable than anyone except JE. All the others have significant questions around them, with 2 rookies, a guy 8 months out from Achilles surgery, and a guy who hasn’t practiced yet and is at high risk of suspension. The bullets fly in 2 weeks. Dorsett is an ironclad lock. He’s WR2, not 5. He looked more like Deion Branch last night than a TC cut.

Last year he was more reliable than anyone with the highest catch percentage in the team

Any word on how Demarius Thomas has looked in practice?

And I dont see how anyone who watched the last pre-season game can say Dorsett is on the bubble. He was the only player Brady trusted. And while hes not a flashy player, he knows the offense and can make plays.

Donkey Thomas should've stayed on PUP and healed himself properly...what gives him the right to feel that he can just waltz in whenever he wants to without any practice time whatsoever? Because McD drafted his ass 9 damn years ago? Feck that sh!t.

Now if both Gordon & Harry cannot answer the bell on Opening Night, then...
...Run, Demaryius, run!

Which are the decisions made at cutdown all the time. It’s about making choices not saying keep everyone. The 6th wr is farther from playing than pretty much any depth spot on a 53 man roster.

That’s because only 1 QBs can play and our #2 is old. It is very uncommon at any other position to keep a guy buried that deep. In other words if you are scared of him being WR5 he can’t be much of a prospect. players don’t go from a point where you are scared to use them to good players.

The would be WR5

He would have to be ahead of one of Edelman Gordon Harry Thomas to be useful.
This is the issue, not Meyers. Let’s call Meyers developmental.
Why keep dorsett when we will never play
Your argument amounts to it’s worth keeping him all season inactive because god forbid we have 2 injuries and Meyers needs to play.
It’s not that dorsett doesn’t have value it’s that we have better players taking his job.

Agree

Well that’s not “what it is”. That’s your opinion.

I think we start the year with 5 WR and 2 TE with one of each on the ps.
Looks like we’re at 6, assuming Gunner counts. Maybe even 7 if Thomas resigns soon.

Looks like we’re at 6, assuming Gunner counts. Maybe even 7 if Thomas resigns soon.
I think gunner is on the team for special teams.
6 is a lot and that’s one reason Thomas was released to preserve a spot.

Donkey Thomas should've stayed on PUP and healed himself properly...what gives him the right to feel that he can just waltz in whenever he wants to without any practice time whatsoever? Because McD drafted his ass 9 damn years ago? Feck that sh!t.

...Run, Demaryius, run!
So you think a team can an a player from practicing?

...Run, Demaryius, run!

So you think a team can an a player from practicing?
Looks like I've underestimated - severely, it appears - Thomas' rate of recovery & readiness; he looked very good on Thursday, albeit against inferior competition...but that wasn't really the point of activating him for the game anyway: the greater point was seeing him make cuts, stops & starts in game situations, then have a normal post-game tiredness without any pain/swelling. So far, so good...and we're going to need production from at least one of him & Gordon until Harry returns, one reason being that they are being counted-upon to replace the missing production from the black hole that used to be the TE position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST