PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Slightly O?T: Report says 50/50 chance Colt's Manning retires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember reading that Manning has been miserable (by account of those close to him) without football. I am incredulous that at this point, he's doing anything other than figuring out how he can be ready for OTA's in 2012.

The guy's a player. He's wired to get out there and slice up defenses. To say there's a > 50% chance he retires must mean that this writer has some really deep sources telling him that doctors have told Manning that his injuries are unlikely to heal more and the consequence of taking a hit from a NFL defensive player could be serious disability - otherwise I'd guess the real chance Manning will take off his jersey is more like 0.05%.

A few years ago Manning would have done anything to play the game. But things and perceptions change. That this injury coincided with the birth of twins is significant. There is suddenly more to life than football for a guy who at times made even Brady seem like a slacker. He can make as much money off as on the field. And he certainly isn't going to jump at the chance to fall flat on his face trying futily to recreate what he built in Indy in some other market. Legacy matters to much to him and he's too savvy not to appreciate the inherent risk damaging it could inflict on the rest of his life. He's not Brett Favre, who perennially cheated on his wife and had no relationship with his first child and little more with the youngest... As private as he has historically been, Peyton brought his 8 month old son to the locker room yesterday following his christening...

And on a lighter note, while Tommy's boys inherit the cleft chin, Peyton's apparently inherit the trademark forehead... Fortunately for Marshall he must have inherited his mama's nose...

Attachments

• Peyton_Manning_with_SON_.jpg
    Peyton_Manning_with_SON_.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 165
I agree Mo. Manning has his NFL records, has his NFL ring and has more money than he'll ever spend. Having kids changes the equation for Manning.

He's got tens of millions of dollars, a ring, and a family. He also has something far more serious than a muscle, tendon, or bone injury. In my mind there is no reason whatsoever for him to continue playing. If he gets bored there's always the option getting a cush analyist job that brings in an extra million a year and continued endorsements. Hell, if I had that kind of money and success at my job I would have long been off the grid in a sarong somewhere trying to stab fish with a pointy stick for the rest of my life.

A few years ago Manning would have done anything to play the game. But things and perceptions change. That this injury coincided with the birth of twins is significant. There is suddenly more to life than football for a guy who at times made even Brady seem like a slacker. He can make as much money off as on the field. And he certainly isn't going to jump at the chance to fall flat on his face trying futily to recreate what he built in Indy in some other market. Legacy matters to much to him and he's too savvy not to appreciate the inherent risk damaging it could inflict on the rest of his life. He's not Brett Favre, who perennially cheated on his wife and had no relationship with his first child and little more with the youngest... As private as he has historically been, Peyton brought his 8 month old son to the locker room yesterday following his christening...

And on a lighter note, while Tommy's boys inherit the cleft chin, Peyton's apparently inherit the trademark forehead... Fortunately for Marshall he must have inherited his mama's nose...

This is exactly how I see it. Manning may be an old man by NFL standards, but being a first-time father with two babies at home has to send him a powerful daily message about how much of his life lies ahead of him. It has to be agonizing to end it this way, but football is a short career even in the best of cases. Eventually, you have to build the next phase of your life.

(BTW, nowadays it seems like all babies have "Manning foreheads"! It's because parents are all drilled to put them to sleep on their backs -- in fact, they all have bald spots on the backs of their heads, too. But somehow by kindergarten their skulls seem to find their way back to normal.)

According to a report from Chris Myers of Fox Sports:

Report: ‘Better Than 50 Percent Chance’ Peyton Manning Retires | SI Tracking Blog

I will go on record and say that Manning will retire at the end of the season. Considering the severity of his surgery and the difficulties reported in his recovery, I expect he'll consider his career, his potential with the Colts, their likelihood of drafting a new QB, and decide that the risks of further injury outweigh whatever potential rewards might come from staying with Indy.

What else has he got to prove?

Maybe he'll restructure his contract, take less, draft luck, go to IR and coach the new kid along...then retire.

I like Manning, always have, I just don't like the fact he beat us in 2006 - Other than that, he really has not been an issue for Patriots fans, if you can get thru the constant, "who's better? Brady or Manning?" talk.

I've said this before, I have no desire to see him leave the NFL. I love Pats vs. Colts games. Always some of the best football of the season.

Not to mention, I think he'd make an amazing TV guy.

Last edited:
You hate to see a guy go out this way. Don Blackman who is one of the most underrated Patriots of all time left because of a neck injury. Michael Irvin and Sterling Sharpe who was truly in his prime as well. It's not something to be messed with. If he can't come back with a clean bill of health I hope for his sake and his families he retires. This weekend isn't the same without him which is a shame.

On the upside the guy has the potential to be a great analyst if they don't ruin him. If he's allowed to come in and really break down plays on the fly he could really add to a broadcast. He'll put Simms and Aikman to shame.

Why would he walk retire when he can get $26 million if they cut him before the end of February and $54 million if they don't? I mean, think about it. The reason he might have to retire is because he was playing football for the Colts. Why give them a break?

Not to mention, I think he'd make an amazing TV guy.

At a minimum, he has a career as a cast member on Saturday Night Live.

That would be too bad if Manning retired this way. Great competitor, great football player. I'd like to see him go out on his own terms.

As much as I hate the Colts and that slime ball Polian, it was always fun watching Manning play the Pats. It always made for a great game.

Why would he walk retire when he can get $26 million if they cut him before the end of February and $54 million if they don't? I mean, think about it. The reason he might have to retire is because he was playing football for the Colts. Why give them a break?

Because he's not a total jackhole?? He got $26M this year for not playing. You think he should milk them for more?? They've already paid him roughly $175M for a 13 year career in which they won one Lombardi in what for him was an off year...

He makes about $15M per working part time as a product endorser... Full time with movie cameos and an analyst position and more time to film oreo licking commercials he could easily replace the money he'd be walking away from with a lot less wear and tear and minus the potential to be a relative cripple later in life...

You wonder if he wants to go through a rebuilding process or finish with another team. the Colts have had a number of bad drafts and the personnel surrounding Manning isn't what it was a few years ago.

If this is the end it is a shame it ended this way.

He is a lock HOF player and has gobs of money so hope he does what is best for him and his family.

Because he's not a total jackhole?? He got $26M this year for not playing. You think he should milk them for more?? They've already paid him roughly $175M for a 13 year career in which they won one Lombardi in what for him was an off year...

He makes about $15M per working part time as a product endorser... Full time with movie cameos and an analyst position and more time to film oreo licking commercials he could easily replace the money he'd be walking away from with a lot less wear and tear and minus the potential to be a relative cripple later in life...

As it is Monday, I'm going to borrow a phrase from BSPN, "Com'on Man"......

NOBODY is going to just walk away from 20 something MILLION DOLLARS (said with pinky finger tucked in the crook of Peyton's mouth). Peyton can still play, once healed, he will once again be a great QB. If the Colts are dumb enough to move off of him, then they need to trade him. I can name five teams off the top of my head that if they traded or signed a healthy Peyton (or nearly healthy Peyton) would be automatic Superbowl contenders....

Eagles
Jets
Texans
49ers
Bears

If his neck is not healed, again he would be stupid to retire, as clearly it is a football related injury and he would have to be paid for it.

As it is Monday, I'm going to borrow a phrase from BSPN, "Com'on Man"...... NOBODY is going to just walk away from 20 something MILLION DOLLARS (said with pinky finger tucked in the crook of Peyton's mouth). Peyton can still play, once healed, he will once again be a great QB. If the Colts are dumb enough to move off of him, then they need to trade him. I can name five teams off the top of my head that if they traded or signed a healthy Peyton (or nearly healthy Peyton) would be automatic Superbowl contenders.... Eagles Jets Texans 49ers Bears If his neck is not healed, again he would be stupid to retire, as clearly it is a football related injury and he would have to be paid for it.

He was paid for it. Well paid, including this year. Football contracts aren't guaranteed beyond the bonus money. He got $20M of that plus $6M in salary this season. He is due $28M in the form of an option bonus if they want to retain him for the next 4 years. That payment is due 5 days before the start of the new league year. They can't trade him unless they pick that option up or allow the non exercise fee to kick in with the start of the new league year. If they cut him before the bonus is due he is a UFA and is entitled to $1.5M in injury protection termination pay...should he choose not to persue a job elsewhere...

Teams don't knowingly pay players who cannot perform. If they did they'd all be bankrupt in short order... No one is trading for Manning on a 1 year $28M deal and the Colts can't afford to take the cap hit and trade him if they pick up the option because they would be on the hook for $38M in accelerated dead cap...

He will either return as a healthy starter for the Colts next season with or without Luck on the roster behind him or he will retire. He's not starting over somewhere else. It took him 9 years to get to his first Superbowl on a team specifically built to his specs...and it was luck of the drawer they won, as the second trip in year 11 underscored. It would take him longer than he has left to try and build an offense that works for him somewhere else. And he's not going to run some idiot OC's offense just to get a chance to play on Sunday's. That's what brainless gunslingers want to do. He's not wired like that. He's a perfectionist. Same deal with Brady who is never going to go play for some OC with a scheme that wasn't built around his skillset...

He won't retire because someone will pay him top dollar next season to join their team. Many teams have issues at QB.

I see this as analogous to Bruschi, there are really compelling reasons to hang them up but Manning is a fierce competitor who absolutely hated missing even a single game and if doctors tell him he can return to football with reasonable risk then he is going to return and if the Colts are stupid enough to let him go then he will make them regret it for many many years to come. As good a prospect as Luck is replacing one of the greatest players in history is really problematic, especially when your franchise has no heart and zero integrity, at least the other teams who went winless were actually trying to win games. If i were his agent I would pull an Eli Manning and tell them there is no way I am signing with the most gutless franchise in pro sports.

He won't retire because someone will pay him top dollar next season to join their team. Many teams have issues at QB.

I don't think the money is the motivator with manning i think it's his desire to play and compete and history. Manning knows he is on pace to be on he Mt. Rushmore of NFL QB's and i don't believe he will settle for going out this early if he can possibly avoid it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News