PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Slater's Injury: Broken arm????

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they place him on IR before the cuts, he is done. But if they keep him on the roster and IR him after, he can return, right? Depends on how other teams value Slater as comapred with other potential cuts (BJGE, Ninkovich, etc.). If BJGE is teh JAG that some claim, then he could slide through and be re-signed.

There is a minor IR. However, I believe that the Patriots could not re-sign Slater if they put him on that.

The normal IR, regardless of when it happens, he's done for the year unless they reach an injury settlement. Then, the Pats could re-sign him when he was healthy. The problem with doing that is that you jack up the guy's cap hit when doing that. Because you have the previous signing bonus amortization, the injury settlement amount, and then any new salary and signing bonus amortization. The Pats did this with Larry Centers and Jason Webster.

Last edited:
Minor IR?
In-seaon IR and re-signing?

I'm not sure about any of this.

I don't believe there is a 'minor IR' and 'major IR.' There is IR. Once on it, your season with that team is done.

Jason Webster, I believe, was on IR in 2007.
The Patriots signed him the following year, 2008, and released him at the end of August. He was not placed on IR by the Patriots. They signed him in November.

Players can negotiate an injury settlement if they believe they can sign on with another team later in the season after recovering.

There is no difference between placing a player on IR during pre-season or in-season. Tyrone McKenzie has been placed on IR, and is done for the year.

There is PUP - but you cannot place someone on PUP once they have practiced. Crable, for example, is not eligible for PUP.

There have been discussions of adding another type of IR, like the disabled list in baseball where you could be out for a certain minimum number of games, but it has never been voted in.

Slater is either lost for the year on IR or he is carried on the 53-man roster as an injured guy until he returns.

I would think they would carry him on the 53 if he is projected to be back 100% in under a month, but who knows. He doesn't seem like JAG to me.

But I'd really like to keep BJGE, Nunn, and Hoyer too so the difference may be small enough to let him walk even if the prognosis is only a month.

There is a minor IR. However, I believe that the Patriots could not re-sign Slater if they put him on that.

The normal IR, regardless of when it happens, he's done for the year unless they reach an injury settlement. Then, the Pats could re-sign him when he was healthy. The problem with doing that is that you jack up the guy's cap hit when doing that. Because you have the previous signing bonus amortization, the injury settlement amount, and then any new salary and signing bonus amortization. The Pats did this with Larry Centers and Jason Webster.

You are right--my mistake. I am trying to find a way to keep him but it looks increasingly like he is done for the year. A door closes, a window opens...

Minor IR?
In-seaon IR and re-signing?

I'm not sure about any of this.

I don't believe there is a 'minor IR' and 'major IR.' There is IR. Once on it, your season with that team is done.

Jason Webster, I believe, was on IR in 2007.
The Patriots signed him the following year, 2008, and released him at the end of August. He was not placed on IR by the Patriots. They signed him in November.

Players can negotiate an injury settlement if they believe they can sign on with another team later in the season after recovering.

There is no difference between placing a player on IR during pre-season or in-season. Tyrone McKenzie has been placed on IR, and is done for the year.

There is PUP - but you cannot place someone on PUP once they have practiced. Crable, for example, is not eligible for PUP.

Its been talked about previously that there are actually two different IR listings.. If you do a search on this board, there was a thread on it last season.

Webster was given an injury settlement when he was released. I should have been more clear. Neither he nor Centers were actually placed on the IR. They were given their injury settlements in lieu of being IRed.

EDIT: I just tried searching the site and it would seem we only have a few weeks worth or threads available for searches..

Last edited:
I have dislocated my elbow, throwing a cross body block on a safety. I was out half the season. I tore every muscle in my forearm all the way to my wrist as well as not getting full extension to my arm. The only way I could play was to tape my arm from the elbow to my wrist and wear a pad on my elbow. As a receiver, I don't see him making it back anytime soon! IR - gone for the season Hello Ventrone!

Centers was cut..not IRed...there was nothing official about what happened..he was cut and when healthy returned. Webster was IRed and there was a settlement...so there was a bit of difference..

Last edited:
I have dislocated my elbow, throwing a cross body block on a safety. I was out half the season. I tore every muscle in my forearm all the way to my wrist as well as not getting full extension to my arm. The only way I could play was to tape my arm from the elbow to my wrist and wear a pad on my elbow. As a receiver, I don't see him making it back anytime soon! IR - gone for the season Hello Ventrone!

Agreed and most dislocated elbows are complicated with fracture of the humerus because the bone wraps down and around the raduis and ulna like a hook. That hook most of the time has to fracture to create the dislocation. After looking at the video if that was a 'hyperextension' then Charlie Weis is 'slightly obese'.

There are a good number of Patriots who, if injured, BB would hold a roster spot for them. Slater ain't one of them. He was looking decent last night performing multiple roles, but they have other players who can play those roles. He'll be IRed for sure. (Almost.)

There are a good number of Patriots who, if injured, BB would hold a roster spot for them. Slater ain't one of them. He was looking decent last night performing multiple roles, but they have other players who can play those roles. He'll be IRed for sure. (Almost.)

I agree he's going to get IR'ed but most everytime I see Slater on coverage on special teams he's one of the first people to get pads on target.

I was reading over Reiss' picks for the 53 with him having O'Callaghan making the team with Slater's injury. Reiss clearly thinks that Slater is lost for the year.

When I saw it, it looked like Slater either broke his forearm or dislocated his elbow, but I couldn't tell which. In either case, they are extremely painful injuries (we lost Thomas and Seau to those injuries in the past).

What do you all think??? Slater gets IRed???

That would be my vote. It was a "look away and wince" type injury. His arm went in unnatural directions. Yes, plural.

Reminds me of the Koy Detmer elbow dislocation in 2002 I believe. It was similarly gruesome....I don't think he got IR'd, but I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe